Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Sea Survival Training

I see there is a advert for some sea survival training. I've got no connection with that particular training provider but I'd highly recommend going on a course.

I've been on a couple of sea survival courses courtesy of my employer. The whole day was very interesting particularly, for me, righting an upturned liferaft. I'd done lots of sailing and we carried a hired liferaft on cross channel races but I'd never done any training.

Whilst I sincerely hope I never have to put it into practice, it is definitely something worth doing.

The added bonus for me was that the first time I did it we shared a pool and subsequently quite a small liferaft with a group of P&O dancing girls who had patently not read the bit about wearing a set of overalls and arrived in their itsy bitsy teeny weeny (not just polkadot) bikini's. The second time was with the RN in the lake on Horsea Island in February. It was significantly less glamorous although just as useful.
Old 04 November 2020, 15:18   #2

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Cheers Guy C I too have to do these courses all the time (3 different courses for the same thing in my work (RYA for boat driving stuff, GWO for Windfarm stuff and BOSIET for helicopter stuff). As you said its rather pointless carrying a liferaft if you havent attended a basic RYA type survival course, having done this course will make you much better prepared should something go wrong.
However I have never once had the pleasure of attending a course with the type of participants your describe. Normally get stuck in a tiny liferaft with a load of big smelly offshore rig worker! Can you put a link to the training centre where such occurrences may occur? Cheers!
Old 04 November 2020, 16:13   #3

RIBase
https://andark.co.uk/training-course...-survival-115/
Old 04 November 2020, 20:05   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
I was going to book one (so I can appply for a Commercial pb2) then wales went into lockdown.... found a date after lockdown in England and now England are going into lockdown...... how in Covid times and water, how does one social distance in the raft?
Old 05 November 2020, 07:01   #5

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
When I did the GWO recently it was a bit mad really. Only 6 people allowed on each course and everyone had to go in and out of the raft individually. Bonus was the course was done by about midday
Old 05 November 2020, 18:42   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Apache, Lakota
Make: XS
Engine: Merc 200HP Merc 25HP
Our Sea Survival courses will still be running throughout lockdown.

The government has specifically listed “Training and Education” as reasons you may leave your home.

We have decided that those courses with a high practical element and may be required for your work will continue (Sea Survival, First Aid, Diesel, Outboard etc.)

In the spirit of lockdown we have however decided that those courses which can be delivered by zoom webinar or online (such as Food safety, Day Skipper, Yachtmaster, Ocean, Radar etc) shall only be available digitally for the next month.

Next Sea Survival course is Saturday 14 November. More details and booking info are at https://chieftain.training/rya-mca-s...aining-course/

We cant promise the cruise ship dancers, although we have taught them several times and their admin team are always poor at forwarding them, their joining Instructions.
Old 05 November 2020, 20:03   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftain Training View Post

....We cant promise the cruise ship dancers, although we have taught them several times and their admin team are always poor at forwarding them, their joining Instructions.
You probably don't need the rest of the advert!