Old 01 August 2006, 12:29   #1

Town: port st mary
Boat name: Orange Peel
Make: Delta
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90
Sea anchor / Drogue attachment

What's best - bow or stern? Does it depend on conditions - wind vs tide direction?
Old 01 August 2006, 14:54   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Attached to the bow so the boat faces in to any waves!
Old 01 August 2006, 16:51   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
All depends what you want to do. Normally the bow but can also act as a drogue when streamed astern. Good if you are being towed and need to keep straight or if you are coming into a beach through heavy surf.

I bought the biggest I could find - rolls up really small and you never know when it could come in handy.
Old 01 August 2006, 17:40   #4

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
As Codders has already said " what are you trying to do?" Maintain position with no engine- use bow. prevent broaching in a following sea- use stern. Keep bow into waves/wind -use stern. In a pinch take your pants off , tie a knot in the legs and attach a makeshift bridle to the waist band, and let out on as much rope that you have. If you got a bucket that works good too.

Regards, T
Old 01 August 2006, 21:49   #5

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
Keep bow into waves/wind -use stern.
If trying to keep the bow in to waves i would use off the bow!
Old 01 August 2006, 23:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton
If trying to keep the bow in to waves i would use off the bow!
I agree if you are using it as a sea anchor, but not when using as a drogue.
Thereby lies the potential confusion. Sea anchor and drogue are different appications of the same piece of kit.
Old 02 August 2006, 09:04   #7

Town: port st mary
Boat name: Orange Peel
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury 90
O-Kay - Some Scenarios:

1. No engine, close to shore, big sea, flooding tide and wind 5-6 pushing to rocky shore.
2. Same as one, but tide falling.
3. No engine, offshore, force 4 blowing, current in a different direction, waiting for a pan pan response to arrive. Oh and the GPS is out.
3. Wreck Fishing.
4. Beaching in surf

Any others?
Old 02 August 2006, 09:20   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Can't visualise using a drogue on a rib, having the stern on to big waves that are going faster than the boat with a low transom and heavy outboard has to be asking for trouble. A double ended (canoe stern) yacht in big seas to stop pitch poling or a broach yes, but not a rib. For there size ribs are extremely sea worthy asuming everything is working or even drifting at rest. For the senarios above:
1 & 2 normal anchor from the bows IMHO.
No 3, rib will be effected more by drift (wind) than tide so sea anchor from bows if its too deep to anchor.
No 4 just drive it up the beach, likely to do far less damage than allowing it to pound in the surf.

In APs first book about crossing the Atlantic he mentions flooding the hull down, worth considering.

Pete
Old 02 August 2006, 09:41   #9

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
If ya cant make the boat go then make it stop-with a proper anchor. A sea anchor will only slow your wind drift.
If beaching in surf holding your tail end with the already mentioned low transom/big engine and no transom well will just fill you with water let alone the risk of tangling prop with rope. Beaching you have to be going slower or faster than the waves to maintain control, at the same speed you will end up surfing and outa control. Slower is not an option without the drogue or similar and I wouldnt consider using one. Into the beach, pick a wave, come in so far on the back of it and then power on and thru it and those in front onto the beach. he who hesitates is lost-straight up onto the sand is the way. Our boat angling club launches and retrieves over a surf bach all winter with 15-18 ft boats. Winch them back onto the trailer from the sand-dont try and float one on in the surf.
We use a sea anchor/drogue mainly for drift fishing. Over the bow to slow the wind drift down when trying to catch a bass for my tea. Trying being the operative word this year!
Old 02 August 2006, 10:18   #10

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength
Into the beach, pick a wave, come in so far on the back of it and then power on and thru it and those in front onto the beach. he who hesitates is lost-straight up onto the sand is the way. Our boat angling club launches and retrieves over a surf bach all winter with 15-18 ft boats. Winch them back onto the trailer from the sand-dont try and float one on in the surf.
I don't intend to try it on Surf Bay Dave, but just out of interest at what point do you whip the engine up to avoid trenching a furrow up the beach with it? I imagine my Humber behaves fairly normally - once you cut the power you lose speed almost instantly - and it takes several seconds for the power tilt to get the lowest point of engine above the line of the hull and that would leave you floundering around in probably the worst bit of the surf. What should you do?
Old 02 August 2006, 11:16   #11

ah - power trim and tilt, now that does give a problem. The local lads who are beach launching try to avoid engines with PTT at all costs just cos of that problem. with manual tilt just take the lock off and either let it come up as it grounds or have crewman there to lift it as helm takes power off. In forward drive he cant pull it up against the force of the prop. For what they are doing ribs are not the boat for the job-need something with a big transom well to catch the wave as it comes inboard and hopefully keep most of it outa the cockpit.
Old 02 August 2006, 11:24   #12

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
we have to do the same at my local sailing club on a lee shore at HW it gets very rough. we just unlock the engine and aim for the beach a tad faster than the waves with people ready to pull the boat clear of the surf

i anticipate there being a "problem" first time the "new" engined boat (4stroke with PTT) gets caught out in the rough. the only solution will be to anchor off and wait for the tide to go out and the sea to calm down.
Old 02 August 2006, 11:35   #13

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength
ah - power trim and tilt, now that does give a problem. The local lads who are beach launching try to avoid engines with PTT at all costs just cos of that problem. with manual tilt just take the lock off and either let it come up as it grounds or have crewman there to lift it as helm takes power off. In forward drive he cant pull it up against the force of the prop. For what they are doing ribs are not the boat for the job-need something with a big transom well to catch the wave as it comes inboard and hopefully keep most of it outa the cockpit.
OK, I couldn't see an obvious solution, I guess because there isn't one then

I don't intend to come ashore on most of the surf beaches on the south coast anyway, on the basis that most of them are minefields....
Old 02 August 2006, 11:38   #14

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
with the bigger engines (EG Mec V6) you get a dual speed trim and tilt (IE tilt is quicker than trim) i reckon if you drove in trimmed right up you could tilt clear in time.

with the smaller engines the trim is usually one speed (as with aforementioned 4-stroke 60hp merc) and it's really slow.
Old 02 August 2006, 12:07   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
... Sea anchor and drogue are different appications of the same piece of kit.
I'm not sure about that. A drogue would only need to be about the size of a big bucket but a sea anchor needs to be many feet across. Also, a drogue really needs to be fitted with a tripping line. Anyway, it's just imaginings, as Pete says, I would expect your rib to fill up as the first sizeable wave passed by then your boat would weigh about 5 tons. That would be fun.

I'm not sure about the flooding hull thing. In my canoe surfing days, a boat full of water was very unstable. In fact, if one got trounced and had to get out of the boat, it could then just be inverted to empty it using one hand.
Old 02 August 2006, 12:12   #16

I'm never sure when a drogue becoames a sea anchor as far as size is concerned but i dont rig ours with a tripping line. On the grounds that i can drag m'boat to a proper anchor if i have to before lifting it I can also drag the boat to the sea anchor and then get hold of the top edge to spill the water. i can get into trouble with one bit of string-two bits is stretching my abilities too far perhaps
Old 02 August 2006, 12:18   #17

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
My understanding is that a drogue is not a sea anchor at the stern, it is just a device which causes enough drag to prevent the boat being broached but is does allow the boat to be driven forward. Or it can also be used in a line tow situation to help keep the towed boat straight and even out the snatch. Hopefully, I'm never going to need to find out for real.

Quote:
i can get into trouble with one bit of string
It's reassuring it's not just me who has that problem!
Old 02 August 2006, 12:19   #18

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
I did suggest once that we buy and carry a sea anchor in case it was required, this drew an incredulous response from our then Diving Officer.

May just re ignite the debate within the club again for a laugh. Though there may be a number who would now endorse Linda's pants as a drogue especially if she was aboard during the temporary secondment of her garments.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2006, 17:03   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B
I did suggest once that we buy and carry a sea anchor in case it was required, this drew an incredulous response from our then Diving Officer.

May just re ignite the debate within the club again for a laugh. Though there may be a number who would now endorse Linda's pants as a drogue especially if she was aboard during the temporary secondment of her garments.
Linda's pants are very big and effective. However it is very difficult to "get in them" On a more serious note: anything you can drag behind any boat to keep it head on into the direction you wish to go, wether it be a following or head on sea is a good idea. The basic idea is " don't get rolled"
Regards, T.