sib

Town: bath
Boat name: -
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: -
scottish pootle advice please...

Hi
i`m planning a little pootle next month from Arisaig towards Mull, Ardfern, Jura , Islay, Tobermoray and areas surrounding. any advise on places not to miss, good accommodation, eateries, drinkeries, , petrol from pontoons ....all most welcome, thanks in advance.
Old 03 April 2013, 15:22   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
My 2d worth.....

If you possibly can , join one of the cruises already planned for that neck of the woods ! There are at least two to my knowledge albeit at much the same time . You cannot beat local knowledge for all the things that make such cruises a holiday or a chore ! Accommodation , fuel , good food / drink , superb scenery & wildlife . It's a bit like re-inventing the wheel , why do it if you don't have to ? However if you can't join one of these , I'm sure the locals will be along shortly to advise .

It's probably also worth remembering that if you do " cruise in convoy " , you are likely to visit some places that you might not solo ! My list would include Staffa , Iona , Inverie , Corryvreckan & Grey Dogs just to get the ball rolling !
Old 03 April 2013, 16:22   #3

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I agree with what Bern says f you can come along to either cruises at the begining of may I think you would enjoy both on and of the water as the craic is belting!!
If not I would go along with what B says also but the list could be endless:.......
Sma isles, Ardamurchan Point, Loch Sunart, Loch linnhe, Loch Etive with the falls at Connel, Cuan Sound tidal race, Atlantic Bridge at Sound of Seil and of course the all time favourites Corry and Grey Dogs!!
Fuel at Tober, Loch Aline (good burgers as well) Puffin Divers south of oban on S of K.
Further south good cruising Craighouse (petrol) up the S of I to Port Askaig (good food at Hotel and petrol) and do the distillery visit mind you have to drive back!!
I rib out of tayvallich on Loch Sween just of Sound of Jura if you need anything else just contact me.
What ever you do enjoy and be safe!!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 16:27   #4

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
You never know - the sperm whale that's been visiting us at Oban this weekend may still be around. Awesome creature,
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 19:50   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
You never know - the sperm whale that's been visiting us at Oban this weekend may still be around. Awesome creature,
Aye - nice footage of the sleek powerful lines and the confident deep sea capability seen here in this BBC clip...

The whale is in there too

BBC News - Oban Bay sperm whale draws Scottish crowds
Old 03 April 2013, 19:58   #6
sib

Thanks for all the info chaps, yes to join a cruise is always a good idea but it may be a last minute timing decision due to work. Any more info is most welcome. Thank you.
Old 03 April 2013, 20:04   #7

Town: Fenwick & Arran
Boat name: The Black Mark
Make: Humber Assault
Engine: Mariner Bigfoot 60hp
RIBase
Gigha is beautiful. The Boathouse restaurant at Ardminish bay. Fantastic.
Old 03 April 2013, 20:05   #8

Town: Fenwick & Arran
Boat name: The Black Mark
Make: Humber Assault
Engine: Mariner Bigfoot 60hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrode View Post
Gigha is beautiful. The Boathouse restaurant at Ardminish bay. Fantastic.
Meant to say, bit of a jaunt. But worth it if you get the weather.
Old 05 April 2013, 17:06   #9

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sib View Post
Thanks for all the info chaps, yes to join a cruise is always a good idea but it may be a last minute timing decision due to work. Any more info is most welcome. Thank you.
hi i have to agree with Bern
we are at Dunstaffage marina from 2/may/2013 untill about 8/9th
first briefiing in Frog Bar/resturant 1000 Friday very laid back cruises and we will RV with the ERR cruise
more info here
http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/oban-we...3-a-50555.html
Old 05 April 2013, 20:54   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Hi there sib

Just back from a 2 night stay at Primrose Cottage at Ardfern (when doing my advanced PB course - thanks to Chris from SeaSkills for a great two days)

Primrose Cottage - Bed and Breakfast accommodation in Ardfern, Craignish, Argyll

Boater friendly, good breakfast, happy to give local info. Very pretty area.

Short walk from Ardfern Marina (Home | Ardfern Yacht Centre, by Lochgilphead, Scotland), and all told struck me as a good place to stay if doing a DIY trip. Also decent shop for bits at the marina, nearby daytime café and post office. Can walk to The Galley Of Lorne Inn ::Official Website:: Hotels in Scotland, Ardfern by Oban and Lochgilphead, Argyll bed and breakfast Scotland too that does food in the evening, but reportedly a tad pricey and not the sort of hearty grub you'd want after a day on the boat! I drove around to Kilmartin for pub food, but if no car then it would do.

You may already have it but a local pilotage guide sounds just the thing for you in all sorts of ways. Eg Clyde Cruising Club

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Steve
Old 05 April 2013, 22:44   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Not tried it since refurb but I have been told recently the Cregan inn by Connel bridge is worth a visit.
Old 06 April 2013, 06:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Not tried it since refurb but I have been told recently the Cregan inn by Connel bridge is worth a visit.
The eateries by Connel Bridge are the Oyster Inn (south side) or the Lochnell (north). The Creagan Inn is at the bridge over Loch Creran, a few miles north. Any of them are worth a visit
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 06 April 2013, 10:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskills View Post
the eateries by connel bridge are the oyster inn (south side) or the lochnell (north). The creagan inn is at the bridge over loch creran, a few miles north. Any of them are worth a visit
creagan inn is it open? have they any moorings the old slip was a bit dodgy last time and they were shut for lunch
Old 07 April 2013, 08:52   #14

Yes, Creagan is open. I haven't been there for a while but I ate at the Lochnell last night and that was OK (looking across the water to my house). The Oyster is under new management and doing well. They'd get my vote at the moment,and of course being able to walk there and back is a bit of an advantage for me!
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 07 April 2013, 10:43   #15

Were staying at oyster for Scotrib cruise drop in and we will get you a beer from 2nd may Thurs night till Wed
Old 07 April 2013, 16:30   #16

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copinsay View Post
Hi there sib

Just back from a 2 night stay at Primrose Cottage at Ardfern (when doing my advanced PB course - thanks to Chris from SeaSkills for a great two days)

Primrose Cottage - Bed and Breakfast accommodation in Ardfern, Craignish, Argyll

Boater friendly, good breakfast, happy to give local info. Very pretty area.

Short walk from Ardfern Marina (Home | Ardfern Yacht Centre, by Lochgilphead, Scotland), and all told struck me as a good place to stay if doing a DIY trip. Also decent shop for bits at the marina, nearby daytime café and post office. Can walk to The Galley Of Lorne Inn ::Official Website:: Hotels in Scotland, Ardfern by Oban and Lochgilphead, Argyll bed and breakfast Scotland too that does food in the evening, but reportedly a tad pricey and not the sort of hearty grub you'd want after a day on the boat! I drove around to Kilmartin for pub food, but if no car then it would do.

You may already have it but a local pilotage guide sounds just the thing for you in all sorts of ways. Eg Clyde Cruising Club

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Steve
I have to endorse everything Steve says. Ardfern is a great place to base. Good/excellent facilities and Loch Craignish is a super loch to explore if the weather's a bit on the wild side. I'm slightly biased though.
Old 07 April 2013, 20:08   #17
sib

Thanks for all your help. One more question, Tobermory has petrol at the petrol station, but not not from what I can see at the pontoon, is that correct and if so I assume it's a jerry can job from the petrol station ? Thanks
Old 07 April 2013, 20:10   #18

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Thanks for all your help. One more question, Tobermory has petrol at the petrol station, but not not from what I can see at the pontoon, is that correct and if so I assume it's a jerry can job from the petrol station ? Thanks
Correct
Old 07 April 2013, 20:31   #19

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Yep but the petrol station is only 50yds from end of pontoon just make sure you go as far in to the link gangway as possible to fill. Nice pubs/eaters on the new carpark at top of pontoon!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2013, 21:13   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Tobermory

Aye, the petrol is just beside the pub - you'll be going there anyway I brought a few big lads frae Scotland tae carry me cans - magic!

The fuel in Tobermory is cheaper than in Oban, so don't be shy. Craighouse/Jura is a bit of a faff for fuel - the keys are at the hotel and it's some way from the pump. Port Askaig, Islay, is a kernycan job too, but the pumps are as close to the water as Tobermory. There is supposed to be fuel on Colonsey, but I'd suggest calling ahead to check. The big Marinas up the west side of the Sound of Jura are diesel only, IIRC. Puffin Divers in Oban have petrol on the pontoon, but expect to pay a 20p per liter premium. Negotiation is not appreciated
There is a pump in Port Ellen, Islay, a shortish walk from the pontoons (250m?)

Petrol is manageable in the Isles, you just need to plan your trips and you WILL need cans, if only for peace of mind and a reserve. A small folding trolley would make life a lot easier if you need to carry fuel. Depart with the cans full, decant when you arrive, take the empties along with you for lunch and return with them filled. It's no biggie...

AVOID the Antler restaurant in Craighouse, Jura. The venison burgers are nicer at the hotel. The staff there are much much nicer too...