Old 19 September 2003, 17:22   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
scorpion or revenger

Sorry guys another rib comparison. Seen the scorpions at the open day and they are nice but i dont think they have perfected creature comforts... also not sure about the people!! saw the revenger at boat show today and is a very well fitted bit of kit that looks comfortable too, ive heard equally good things about them too. Gonna get a sea test on both but anyone have an opinion on ride/fit out/customer service etc...

ps looking around 7.5m

many thanks
Old 19 September 2003, 21:22   #2

Boat name: Seahound
Make: Scorpion Sportscruiser
Length: 9.50m
Engine: 2 x 200 Evinrude Ficht
I met the revenger team at the boat show. Nice bunch with their feet on the ground, not too sure about the other lot though. Are they that good that they don't do boat shows any more ????

Steve
Old 22 September 2003, 08:22   #3

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Comparisons

Morning

Scorpions are fantastic boats, just ask any one who has one, they are also the hardest boat to get hold of second hand as no one wants to sell them, they also hold there price as the demand for them is so high, they have the best finish of any Rib on the market today and are very comfortable boats to be in especially in a rough sea, They dont do boat shows as i dont think they have the time, order books are allways full etc. I think Revenger are also good boats but not as well finished. Test both and see what you think.

Julian
Old 22 September 2003, 11:20   #4

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I have a Scorpion 6.5 and I have used it hard for a long time (500 hrs in two years) n.b. if I ever come to sell it I will claim the above to be a typo. and I am still very impreessed by it.

The build quality is very good, and other than electronics I have not had a problem with her. I would reccomend Scorpions, I think the build quality of Revengers is a little lighter which would ternd to make them quicker.

Both boats are desirable, but I think Scorpion would hold it's value better.
Old 22 September 2003, 11:30   #5

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Both are very fine boats and are the two best manufactories in the UK. The quality of materials and finish is superb on both.

If you are buying second-hand then the price will depend on age and condition of the boat.

If you are buying new go and see both companies and ask for a test drive in the boat that you can afford and see what you think.

Mark
Old 22 September 2003, 11:55   #6

Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Hurricane 640
Length: 6.7
Engine: Volvo Penta AD31DP
I was fortunate to drive the latest 10m scorpion out through the Needles Channel into a 1.5/2m swell. The boat performed and there was no need to throttle back at 55 knots.
Old 22 September 2003, 13:43   #7

thanks guys i appreciate your responses. I will obviously will test run both before buying. I think you have confirmed for me that revenger are also a good boat, we all know scopion are! ANy further comments good bad experiences all appreciated
Old 22 September 2003, 16:43   #8

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
You comment that Revenger seem to have perfected creature comforts. Most Revengers I've seen (so I am of course generalising here!) have had either bucket or bench seats of one form or another. My personal preference for anything other than dead calm are jockey seats cos they give you much better lateral stability and dont shag your back so much! My one Revenger experience was a ride on Charles Blois's Revenger 27 down the Wallet to Brightlingsea from Harwich one winters day. Sir Charles only knows one way to drive - flat out and whilst it wasnt a rough day by any means it was bumpy. One way on a bench seat and the other in a bucket seat was enough to convince me of the benefits of Jockey seats for the rest of my life!

I have to tell you to go for a Scorpion though cos I did own one. Build quality and performance next to none and even the older boats still in good condition. (Blue Ice is Hull 7 from 1996). You also sit "in" them rather than "on them" which is good.

Having spoken to the Revenger guys at Soton a few years back I found them very helpful for sure. Scorpion are famously arrogant but that comes from producing the best RIB around. (Alledgedly!)
Second hand supply of either is scarce although I believe you may see more Revengers around than Scorpions. When I sold Blue Ice this summer I had a huge amount of interest and could have sold the boat 4-5 times over. In fact the only Scorpion I know of for sale is Brian's 9.5m cabin boat. Definately worth a look if your budget'll stretch that far

HTH,
Alan
Old 22 September 2003, 20:24   #9

thanks again, maybe revengers new bolster seats are more suitable? I think scorpion put me off as they didnt seem to have any appreciation for any other market leaders, only themselves (in an IBM type fashion) maybe its because im young and they thought i was a time waister i dont know?? My problem is im converting from the sportsboat world and now no i will not find my refined cuddy rib (scorpion exception)so am having to settle for the least commerial looking rib i can find that also has ability. I praise anyone who is prepaired to do something different in the rib world instead of following uniformly like everyone else. I would love to speak to the guy who built his own full width console on a blue scorpion. I nice piece of kit.

ta all
Old 22 September 2003, 22:46   #10

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Charlie Gril II
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8.5
Engine: Inboard, Diesel, 315
I looked at the Revenger / Cobra and also Open style boats like the Windy, before this I had spent time looking on RIB.NET and RIB International and quite clearly Scorpion was one of the market leaders. I also looked around various Marinas looking at RIB’s kept in Water on Trailers, Covered / Uncovered and a Picture does develop on which RIB’s stand the test of time. I then looked at the competition before going to Scorpion, I didn’t want to keep cross referencing back to the Scorpion I wanted to have a completely open mind.

I must admit I initially felt the same as you, was I a time waster looking for a free ride in a boat or a genuine prospective customer. After the test ride, It was at this point I realized I had misjudge the situation, quite simply Scorpion make an excellent RIB and they are very very proud of that fact and quite rightly so, I was sold, my past boating with my Father included various makes of Sports Cruisers while I appreciate not the same type of boating the Scorpion gave me then and still gives me the biggest smile.

I have had mine since the beginning of July and put on nearly 70 Hours, she recently had her first service and a couple of items needed attention. The service I received was excellent, there are a lot of other boat manufacturers that could learn a lot from Scorpion RIB’s on after sales. The attention to detail is first class, while she was in production, I went down to the yard every couple of weeks and I was always made to feel very welcome, Graham / Derek were always on hand to discuss the various stages of the build.

I can only pass on my experience of owning a Scorpion for a short time, and I am very happy with my choice.
Old 23 September 2003, 07:19   #11

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
There are always 3 sides to a story.... his, his and the truth?!
Old 23 September 2003, 07:49   #12

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
4 actually Charles, you forgot about the greek guy!
Old 23 September 2003, 10:19   #13

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
well heres a fifth!

If you are converting from the sports boat world, then have a look at Phantom Evolutions or Pascoe ribs. If you want a cheap high quality cuddy look at Ocean

Don't forget I am a happy Scorpion owner so these comments are as impartial as I can get, I would advise yopu keep your Ribs in the water for too long

cheers
Stusrt
Old 23 September 2003, 11:37   #14

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
4 actually Charles, you forgot about the greek guy!
Heh, heh -right on.
Old 24 September 2003, 13:52   #15

i like phantoms but can never get hold of the guy, marc pascoe good too. ocean aint cheap though £60k. Thanks guys