Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 May 2020, 04:41   #21

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
A channel island convoy trip sounds great!
Old 14 May 2020, 05:24   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: WOLF
Make: QUINQUARI HUMBER 8.5
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
A channel island convoy trip sounds great!
"We got ourselves a convoy"

Your on! - Feels like a new thread?

I`ll post a new one in a week or so once we weve got used to the new boat. But just off the top of my head, Im thinking about a 4-5 day trip overnighting in Yarmouth for an early start day 1, then onto Alderney, Guernsey the Jersey to explore The Minquiers, Isle de Chausey (Corona Virus Permitting) and Sark. Not forgetting to drop a line in at the cassquets off Alderney for some fresh Turbot for the BBQ!

The Minquiers look like a tropical paradise!

https://www.jerseyseafaris.com/minquiers

New Post Coming Soon - for interested parties.
Old 14 May 2020, 07:45   #23

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Duplicated post, don't know why??
Old 14 May 2020, 08:42   #24

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolentShark View Post
"We got ourselves a convoy"

Your on! - Feels like a new thread?

I`ll post a new one in a week or so once we weve got used to the new boat. But just off the top of my head, Im thinking about a 4-5 day trip overnighting in Yarmouth for an early start day 1, then onto Alderney, Guernsey the Jersey to explore The Minquiers, Isle de Chausey (Corona Virus Permitting) and Sark. Not forgetting to drop a line in at the cassquets off Alderney for some fresh Turbot for the BBQ!

The Minquiers look like a tropical paradise!

https://www.jerseyseafaris.com/minquiers

New Post Coming Soon - for interested parties.

Now that sounds mighty interesting! You’ll demolish sea miles in your new Humber beast!
Old 14 May 2020, 10:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
Duplicated post, don't know why??
"I'd be up for that provided the conditions are suitable.

And after all I have a two stroke outboard and my boat is called "Bandit" so quite literally we have "Smokey & the Bandit"

1st I need some longer distance coast hugging test runs and perhaps a couple of convoy Solent meet ups.

But in principal count me in please."

Found your post ribtecer - Circumnav the island, then youve covered the straight line distance that is the same as needles to alderney. Happy meet up for this too. I`ll be doing the same a few times to ensure the boat is running perfectly.
Old 14 May 2020, 11:52   #26

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Perfect and a great trip to do before setting off across the channel.

Looking forward to all meeting up soon.
Old 14 May 2020, 22:30   #27

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
I believe there were two sharkeys. Both hard nosed scorpions. I nearly bought one. 8.1m from Bembridge. It had a opti on it, then a mercury racing and last I saw it a Honda.. Yellow tubes originally then grey then yellow.

Edit just found pictures. I think that Is the boat from Bembridge, boat is 1998. She had yellow tubes last time I saw her. Call scorpion and say she was a yellow 8.1m with 225 mercury optima out of factory and they will hopefully find HIN. I think it had a pair of twin jockeys and roll back rear bench originally. if that fails tell the, it belonged to PIP

It was quite sad for itself in Bembridge as it lived outside on a mooring. but the owner from Lymington spent a lot of money on it, it had a set back bracket built into transom by voodoo marine, with extra stainless reinforcement and it ran very well and fast. The console and seat aren’t standard scorpion as it was custom built but that’s not unusual with some early scorpions.

I believe it was originally a race boat, last of the non stepped hulls, full derekane vinylester resin, with a bow ballast tank (decommissioned) and a hard nose. My mate did a refit (voodoo marine) and the transom and the boat were very solid, that might have been 8 yrs ago. Last I saw it was for sale under the name sharkey and looked very good. Although the price might have been a bit high. (Scorpion owners stupidity, I can say that. I am one)

The Lymington owners had a hobby, building or doing up boats, no expense spared which meant tubes and engines weren’t a concern to change, and I believe the son worked for Scorpion, they were quite knowledgable. Had a twin surface drive 10m too

Scorpion will tell you HIN, and engine plate will tell you engine age. All the crappy early scorpion wiring was removed which was a pre 2004 ish issue. IF she is fully vinylester she won’t suffer osmosis in the tube carriers like some scorpions too. I wouldn’t shy away, although I nearly paid 15k for her over 10 years ago, when she was Tatty.
Old 15 May 2020, 11:59   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
I believe there were two sharkeys. Both hard nosed scorpions. I nearly bought one. 8.1m from Bembridge. It had a opti on it, then a mercury racing and last I saw it a Honda.. Yellow tubes originally then grey then yellow.

Edit just found pictures. I think that Is the boat from Bembridge, boat is 1998. She had yellow tubes last time I saw her. Call scorpion and say she was a yellow 8.1m with 225 mercury optima out of factory and they will hopefully find HIN. I think it had a pair of twin jockeys and roll back rear bench originally. if that fails tell the, it belonged to PIP

It was quite sad for itself in Bembridge as it lived outside on a mooring. but the owner from Lymington spent a lot of money on it, it had a set back bracket built into transom by voodoo marine, with extra stainless reinforcement and it ran very well and fast. The console and seat aren’t standard scorpion as it was custom built but that’s not unusual with some early scorpions.

I believe it was originally a race boat, last of the non stepped hulls, full derekane vinylester resin, with a bow ballast tank (decommissioned) and a hard nose. My mate did a refit (voodoo marine) and the transom and the boat were very solid, that might have been 8 yrs ago. Last I saw it was for sale under the name sharkey and looked very good. Although the price might have been a bit high. (Scorpion owners stupidity, I can say that. I am one)

The Lymington owners had a hobby, building or doing up boats, no expense spared which meant tubes and engines weren’t a concern to change, and I believe the son worked for Scorpion, they were quite knowledgable. Had a twin surface drive 10m too

Scorpion will tell you HIN, and engine plate will tell you engine age. All the crappy early scorpion wiring was removed which was a pre 2004 ish issue. IF she is fully vinylester she won’t suffer osmosis in the tube carriers like some scorpions too. I wouldn’t shy away, although I nearly paid 15k for her over 10 years ago, when she was Tatty.
Thanks for th info - I knew somone here would know somthing about her. Ive let this one go now though having secured a differnnt boat. I am grateful for the reply never the less.