Old 28 April 2002, 11:47   #1

Town: Devon
Make: Avon
Engine: 90 mariner
Scilly Isles.

I am planning a trip to the Scillys end of July, taking in the weekend 27th July. Does anyone have any advice (stupid question!) on:

Where's good to stay? Close to the boat?

Where's good to 'park' the boat up?

Wheres good to eat (as it's my birthday!)?

This is an open trip so anyone want to come and play is quite welcome, we so far have drunken sign up's of 2 yachts and 3 ribs!"!

Read you all soon.

Russell
Old 28 April 2002, 14:37   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Russell,

See the threads:
Advice on crossing to Scillies
and
A trip to the Scilly Isles

you can probably count me in as well.
Brian
Old 28 April 2002, 16:28   #3

Town: GB
I beleive there is a ferry from Penzance - suggest you either put your boat on it or follow very close.

Accommodation can be a bitch, espeicially if the7y know you are coming by boat - try John Harvey from BIBOA he has a lot of good gen.

Better start saving for the fuel too if you want to fill up on St Marys

- oh yes count me in and all!!

See you there Brian?

Tigershark
Old 30 April 2002, 14:19   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Whats all this about following the ferry?????
Out of Plymouth, round Rame Head and go across to the Lizard. Then Wolf Rock Lighthouse, then St. Mary's (South channel entrance)-couldn't be easier. About 95-100Nm, call it 4 hours. Piece of duff.
Lets liase nearer the time and go en-convoy.
Old 01 May 2002, 19:41   #5

Town: GB
Hi Brian

Fine for a fancy Scorpian driver. Russes boat would be lucky to get post Falmouth - they want it for the new maritime museum you know!! - just kidding, we are planning to go from Pymouth.

Looks like it will be the weekend of 27th July

Hope to get to the SW BIBOA meet this year - any details or ideas?

See you soon no doubt

Vern
Old 01 May 2002, 20:13   #6

Town: Newfoundland
SW Cruise

Hi Vernon,

SW Cruise date has changed, now 18/19 MAY. Based from Mayflower Marina @ Plymouth. Brian can give you the details.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 01 May 2002, 20:43   #7

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Alan

Since when did the BIBOA SW Cruise change dates - the web site still gives 15 & 16 June as the SW cruise.

Do you realise the 18 / 19 May is the Ribex Weekend?

Graeme
Old 01 May 2002, 21:05   #8

Town: Leatherhead
BIBOA SW Cruise

Graeme,

The latest Cruising Calender received in the post this am gives the SW Cruise as May 18/19. Looks like they will miss all the fun of RIBEX and a burst round the Island

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2002, 21:12   #9

Hi Peter

Guess that is so.

Does it give any reasons for the change - or is it a secret?

G
Old 01 May 2002, 21:26   #10

Town: Leatherhead
Nothing that I could see from a quick look - must be secret All I could see from the minutes of the Commitee Meeting held on 22/01/02 was that the web site needs updating!!!!!!!!

In the latest Riblines there is a good write-up of the SOC weekend in which you get a mention and a TWO PAGE spread by that bloke Hart on SIBs

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2002, 21:29   #11

Havent received my RIBLINEs yet - probably sent out in seniority order - Ill get mine by Christmas

G
Old 01 May 2002, 21:51   #12

SW Cruise was re-scheduled because the people who volunteered to run it have other commitments on June 15/16.

Yes it clashes with RIBEX. However spare weekends are at a premium and there was a large gap in May which is also the time of year we ran the event last year.

Apologies ref. RIBEX but you seem to have plans for an event for likeminded souls well in hand.

Website event calendar. Good point. Will try and get that updated.

Funny, I always thought RIBLINES was mailed out by surname order as I always seemed to get mine last. Perhaps they've started Z this time instead of A!

Alan. (I volunteered for this abuse?) W
Old 01 May 2002, 21:54   #13

Alan

I guess you mean that the organisers of the SW cruise have some new commitments come up - I guess when they volunteered for that weekend they must have been free?

You mentioned there being a big hole in May, but doesnt this mean a big hole in June now?

G
Old 01 May 2002, 22:02   #14

Yeah family commitments are a bitch and you don't always know about them when putting together a draft cruising programme 6 months in advance.

Yes we do have a gap in mid June now. Would you like to volunteer to run an event? You seem vocal enough on the subject!
Old 01 May 2002, 22:07   #15

Alan

Unfortunatley many of the people I cruise with are non-BIBOA members, so therefore are not welcome on BIBOA cruises. Therefore it wouldnt be appropriate for me to organise such an event, as I would not want to exclude people who I enjoy Ribbing with.

Graeme
Old 01 May 2002, 23:16   #16

Town: Poole
Graeme,

As and when your BIBOA magazine arrives you will see that this coming weekend the RIBEX ( that is Rigid Boat Expeditions ) cruise to St Vaast has an open invitation to BIBOA members, even though it is not a BIBOA event.

RIBEX, not to be confused with the soon to happen event, was one of the original RIB clubs that extended the bounds of our small boats back in the late 70’s. In my experience the main thing about ribbing is about sharing a beer once you get there and talk about getting there.

It seems a shame that there has been a few threads containing messages suggesting there is a BIBOA and a non-BIBOA rib sections ( not aimed at anyone ). This has been the downfall of many minority sports ( for which BIBOA committee has been instrumental in moving our passion forward) and for one I would encourage you to organize such an event as I have noticed your enthusiasm in this area.

Make it an open event and ask Alan to put a few lines in RibLines inviting anyone. If the benefits of joining BIOBA are good enough then hopefully more people will join.

Personally I would like to use my RIB more than I do and don’t care who I cruise with as we all seem to have the same enjoyment.

Regards

Mark
Old 01 May 2002, 23:35   #17

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkWildey

Personally I would like to use my RIB more than I do and don’t care who I cruise with as we all seem to have the same enjoyment.

Exactly! - and I'm sure Graeme dosn't mind who joins him/us on any forthcoming trip!

Through the power of this forum we have already had a number of almost spontanious outings - The Thames trip, Spirit of Cardiff Send-off that were supported by BIBOA members and non-members.

Later in the year maybe I could organise a Bristol Channel trip for BIBOA - the question is would non-BIBOA members be "allowed" to tag along?

Lets work together on this to try and increase the BIBOA membership - this should benefit us all! - How about "Day Membership"? - covered by BIBOA insurance (is that the issue?) - no magazine etc.

Cheers
Jools
Old 02 May 2002, 00:19   #18

Mark

The whole point of the 'cruises' that are 'advertsed' on this forum are simply to get like minded people together - sometimes at short notice, sometimes to celebrate particular events, to have some fun and enjoy their hobby.

In no way was this ever meant to be a BIBOA Vs Non-BIBOA contest - if anything it is a supplement to the BIBOA cruising calendar.

However, naturally you will get people interested in these type of unofficial events who are not members of BIBOA - where unfortuntely it cannot be the other way around - as BIBOA do not (As I understand it) allow non - members to attend their cruises - due I believe to insurance problems.

Jools' suggestion of a 'day insurance' scheme sounds good - and I wonder if Alan, or someone else from BIBOA, could check on the possibility of this.

Anyway - lets hope we can carry on organising some impromptu events, as well as joining in on the excellent BIBOA cruises if we choose

Grame
Old 02 May 2002, 07:35   #19

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Guys,

Dont take any of this to be negative or sarky' but-

1/What exactly does the Biboa insurance Cover?

2/As an inflatable boat club, what cruise's are organised for sibs and smaller ribs?

3/Dates - how are these arranged and are they planned with other RIB events - Ie Spirit Of Cardiff Weekend & RIBEX weekend

Please dont take any of the above the wrong way - my reasons are personal for not joining BIBOA mainly because of my limitation with the salty sea dog (Beau) & and the main point of going ribbing to relax, explore, adventure & not just follow the boat in front of me. Thats exactly what I enjoy about Ribbing with my small group of ribby freinds - we do our own thing !!!
Old 02 May 2002, 08:17   #20

Guys thanks for your comments. I have also exchanged a few emails with Graeme on the subject who has made some further helpful suggestions. I will take them back to the committee and endeavour to come up with a solution to the problem & a clarification of the insurance issue. Mark makes a good point with reference to the RIBEX (the RIB club as opposed to the show) cruise. This is advertised in RIBLINES but is not a specific BIBOA event although BIBOA members attend. Perhaps this is the way forward - make the cruises "rib.net" cruises open to all to tag along and also publiicise in RIBLINES.

The strength of this medium is that it is instant and interactive so changes of plan for whatever reason, short notice cruises etc can be communicated swiftly and easily. (Witness how Thames Cruise & SoC weekend grew so rapidly.) It is a distinct advantage over setting a cruise programme months in advance and only communicating it via a mailed magazine or a seldom updated website. In fact I've had a sneaking suspicion for sometime that informal cruising organised through mediums such as rib.net are the way forward

If I occasionally sound intemperate on BIBOA related subjects its probably because I'm the only committee member I know of that posts regularly on here and feel to an extent that critiscm of the club is also critiscm of me personally. But I know that that is not the case so I must learn to count to 10 before posting! (Anyway its all JK's fault it was through a discussion initiated through here that I decided to volunteer in the first place!)

Anyway, Now that the airs cleared slightly can we just all go ribbing

Cheers,
Alan