Click Here to Login

Old 17 February 2023, 23:28   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
SBS Boatlife show 2023 comparison

Ok so this time last year I went to the first ever boatlife show at the NEC Birmingham and I did a little write up here. I stated back then that I felt the show had leg's as not only was it at the time of year when boaters in general are not doing much but it's at that time of year we all start to plan for the arrival of Spring.

Last year some of you made the trip and a couple posted in the comments that you were disappointed and that it didn't hold a candle to the likes of Earl's Court, I felt that this was a little short sighted as it was a brand new show.
So london no longer holds a big boat show so there is definitely a gap for a new show to fill and being In Birmingham it's definitely centralised.
Last year's show impressed me as Rib Boats were well represented and the brand's of Wolf Rock were impressive....but we all know what happened right after last years show.....directly affecting Brigg and Grand etc as they are not only made in Ukraine but they also lost their main factory in a bombing....so Wolf Rock were lucky to survive...but survive they have and they were well represented at the show.
So 12 months on has the show grown and was it better than last year?....Yes and Yes. For a start off there was a brand new genre on show in the form of fishing...boat's equipment clothing etc (impressive). The canal and River sector also grew with an absolute amazing selection of Canal boat's and Dutch barges.
The sport's section also put in a great showing too with at least double the amount on show from last year.
I spotted a couple of trends too....one is that Rib makers are moving away from the orca textured fabric and are moving back towards embossed orca/PU ( I did wonder last year if that fabric would die a death as it looked high maintenance) and two, electric propulsion in the marine industry is coming.....like it or not. There were so many companies showcasing new tech in both inboard and outboard propulsion....and when I say a lot I do mean it.
Canal and River craft look to be the first out of the block (yes I know electric outboards have been out a while now)
But they were showcasing motor's charging systems batteries and all that comes with it.
On the Mercury stand they were also showing off several electric outboards.....it's on it's way big style.
finally the Chandlers we're better represented. Lowrance Garmin and Raymarine we're all there and all we're doing show deals. Cactus was there and doing a brisk trade in radios plotters and eperbs.....I nearly purchased a new plotter myself but the chap at Raymarine threw a spanner in the works with the talk of threw hull transducers (more in a separate post) Boat world were again there with some impressive Sibs and kit,the highlight being a tent that sits on your sib but it has a blow up floor that goes hard like a paddle board does so self supporting.
The latter section I hope will grow as I think new kit sales is often a big drawer of crowds no matter what the show...I did see a couple of people and clocked a couple of vans in the carpark from firms that weren't there retailing but looked to be checking things out and one was from one of the biggest online Chandlers around...I won't mention names.
I spoke to the chap's on Raymarine stand and they told me that Harry Dwyer was going to show up for a Q and A
And Harry himself has confirmed that he will be going this Sunday.
As I stated last year I felt the show was relaxed and friendly and it's was more of the same this year...I spoke with some smashing folk...and they all seemed to love what they were doing and each stated that they felt the show has leg's.
So should you go? Yes but keep an open mind.
Why should I go? Because it's new and friendly and we both now you have bugger all else to do on a cold wet February day.

I will give a couple of vendors a separate post with pricing photos etc and one in particular that I had never seen or heard of before and not only was the Rib special but the importers story was too.

This show may fall flat on it's proverbial in which case I will end up egg on my face but if it does grow then I can always say I was there from the start and moreover " you don't know man, you weren't there"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230216_105824.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	142187   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230216_123021.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	142188   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230216_161007.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	142189   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230216_121636.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	142190   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230216_123733.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	142191  

Old 18 February 2023, 06:47   #2

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
We had a day at the show on Thursday (opening day) we enjoyed the show as much as Southampton, we were only there as spectators! No plans to buy anything.
We talked to the exhibitor's and found them helpful and keen to show of the brand's/products,I wanted to try the demonstration Isuzu dmax towing as I'm in the market for a pick up truck, but ran out of time.
all in all a good day, even had a look inside the huge double canal boats Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230216_094715520_HDR.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	142208

Sent from my motorola edge 20 lite using RIB Net mobile app
Old 18 February 2023, 09:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskylee View Post
We had a day at the show on Thursday (opening day) we enjoyed the show as much as Southampton, we were only there as spectators! No plans to buy anything.
We talked to the exhibitor's and found them helpful and keen to show of the brand's/products,I wanted to try the demonstration Isuzu dmax towing as I'm in the market for a pick up truck, but ran out of time.
all in all a good day, even had a look inside the huge double canal boats Attachment 142208

Sent from my motorola edge 20 lite using RIB Net mobile app

I was there on Thursday and like you really enjoyed it.
I didn't go on board the canal boat's as I have no desire to live or holiday on one but i can imagine that if that's what people went to the show for then they would be have been delighted....I couldn't get over how many they managed cram in the hall.
Did you go onto the yachts? I haven't as I know I could never afford one...a kind of "look at what you could have won".
I have a spare ticket so I may pop back on Sunday for the Harry Dwyer interview....it would be nice to meet the fella.
Old 18 February 2023, 10:42   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I did think about this show, but decided against it in the end, mainly because I'm still reeling from it taking 3.5hrs for me to get to the bike show at the NEC late last year from South Hampshire due to traffic caused by accidents and roadworks.

But I'm sure many feel the same way about travelling to the Southampton show which is only 3/4hr away for me.

I'm not going to get to Seawork this year in June due to other commitments, but am considering the South Coast Boat & Green Tech show in April purely to see the green tech stuff: https://www.mdlmarinas.co.uk/events/...ast-boat-show/

I know the focus of the show will be new Rag a Stick boats, but the Green stuff should be interesting, and only the parking needs to be paid for.
Old 18 February 2023, 11:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I did think about this show, but decided against it in the end, mainly because I'm still reeling from it taking 3.5hrs for me to get to the bike show at the NEC late last year from South Hampshire due to traffic caused by accidents and roadworks.

But I'm sure many feel the same way about travelling to the Southampton show which is only 3/4hr away for me.

I'm not going to get to Seawork this year in June due to other commitments, but am considering the South Coast Boat & Green Tech show in April purely to see the green tech stuff: https://www.mdlmarinas.co.uk/events/...ast-boat-show/

I know the focus of the show will be new Rag a Stick boats, but the Green stuff should be interesting, and only the parking needs to be paid for.
I have booked tickets for Southampton in September...having never been I imagine the show tanks if the weather is less than favourable.

The" Green stuff" was well represented in Birmingham....I couldn't get over it.
Old 20 February 2023, 08:30   #6

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
We went on saturday (from Portsmouth) and had a thoroughly nice time of it. As usual I hate the A34 but thankfully both ways were incident free. Didnt go on board any of the boats, but did look at a few from the platforms around them. (hate taking shoes off). Met a couple of people I hadnt seen for years from Offshore racing so that was really great, and some of the kit on show was very interesting and had a chat with a few of the inflatable tender guys at various brands. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Warwick and went to Bicester Shopping Village on the way home, that was an experience all by itself.