RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
on investigation my electronics (blue sea panel, battery switch etc are all ISO 8864 rated. The rule about the fuel filler and vent is an interesting one as I have a perko filler that has the vent built into the fitting as well.

THe tank in my rib is under deck and there are no vents or holes into the deck to vent it. Can't see how that would work?
I don't think it means the "tank breather" - I think it means air vents / intakes for cabin spaces, bilge blowers etc.
Old 13 September 2010, 09:17   #42

Town: Coventry
Boat name: Eco XR24
Make: Eco-Marine
Length: 7m +
The Perko filler is fine: there's no problem having the tank vent/ breather close to the fuel filling point. There should be completely separate vents for any spaces that contain fuel tanks and its these that should be at least 400mm from the fillers. The idea is to prevent vapour given off when the tanks are filled from going down the space vents and sitting inside the boat/ under the deck etc.

Each fuel tank space should have a vent inlet and a separate vent outlet. Natural flow of air should keep petrol vapour flushed out. There are rules about the size of these vents and how far apart they need to be in the enclosed space.