Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 23 April 2012, 00:51   #1

Town: Santa Cruz
Make: nautica
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yamaha
SafetyCraft 170 questions?? (licensed by Stabi-Craft)

Im thinking about getting one of these... Does anyone have any input as to wether or not these are good boats? Any questions I should ask when I go to buy it?

This is the text in the article:
"1993 SafetyCraft 170. Made in Oregon under license from Stabi-Craft. Combines the best features of a rigid inflatable with the low maintenance of aluminum. 110 Johnson oil injected outboard, 6 horse kicker. 30 gallon gas tank, fish finder and new vhf radio. 39 mph and incredibly stable. fish, dive easy to tow with a smaller vehicle because the boat weighs 1200 lbs. easy to launch and recover because of the shallow draft. If you are considering an inflatable, consider this: These pontoons are aluminum and will never wear out or be punctured. And, with the forward seating design, there is more usable interior space than larger inflatables"

From the pics the boat looks to be in great condition and although I would like a newer 4 stroke engine the 2 stroke 110 inst a bad motor from what I Have heard.

Pics of the boat are here:
SafetyCraft-boat

Phil
Old 23 April 2012, 15:49   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Hi, Phil;

John Yasaki here. Have to go to the UK for boat advice, with BA_Diving at your fingertips, eh?

Isn't that Silver Bullet?

Used to be owned by, hmm, don't remember his name now; was a good friend of Ed Cooper. Bought by Marc Shargell and someone else in a partnership deal a while back.

As far as I know (that is one of 2 boats that I've talked to owners about) they're great boats. Design is out of New Zealand, I think.

Brenna has been diving off this boat several times; you might want to talk to her about it. You can get her e-mail off BA_Diving, or PM me for it.

jky
Old 27 April 2012, 09:18   #3

Town: Santa Cruz
Make: nautica
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Hi, Phil;

John Yasaki here. Have to go to the UK for boat advice, with BA_Diving at your fingertips, eh?

Isn't that Silver Bullet?

Used to be owned by, hmm, don't remember his name now; was a good friend of Ed Cooper. Bought by Marc Shargell and someone else in a partnership deal a while back.

As far as I know (that is one of 2 boats that I've talked to owners about) they're great boats. Design is out of New Zealand, I think.

Brenna has been diving off this boat several times; you might want to talk to her about it. You can get her e-mail off BA_Diving, or PM me for it.

jky
Hey John,

Actually its not the Silver Bullet.. I have been on Marc's boat before though and liked it.. I was just wondering what other people thought.. I actually didnt even think to post the the list, I just figured that since it was a pretty rare boat that others on this forum might have some input.
My main concern is how it handles larger swell since its such a shallow draft boat.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.. I have been out of town without internet access until now.

Phil
Old 27 April 2012, 15:07   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I think Chuck did a couple of trips on Silver Bullet at some point. Since he's a Whaler driver, he can give you pretty good comparison info on a rough-handling hull.

Steve (can't think of his last name; heavy-set Hispanic guy, I think) was the other co-owner of SB. Haven't heard from him in quite a while though.

Didn't realize there were two of these things in the area.

jky