Old 06 May 2019, 02:57   #1

Town: Fresno
Boat name: Diablo Rojo
Make: Zodiac Pro II 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Safety Vest Rack - DYI

So, as with every boater, worldwide, we have to have safety float vests on our boats. The problem with them is that they take up valuable space in compartments. As a scuba diver and a freediver, I want the space for equipment on my RIB. I thought hard on where I could place them, out of the way. I looked on line to try and find some racks or some sort to attach to my Stainless Steel arch. I had seen them in pictures on-line on several boats, usually the larger 650 or larger RIB's. They were all made of stainless steel. But I could not find any for sale.

So, I looked into having a set custom made. I went to 3 different places. The quotes were $1000 to $1200 (US). And they would weight approximately 40#'s each, both being 80#'s. I thought that was ridiculous. And they would be permanently attached. I preferred them to be removable. I also did not want to add that much weight to the back of my boat.

I decided at that point to design and build something that would be strong enough to hold the light weight vests and be durable enough to handle the beating it would take out in rough weather/water, with breaking or falling apart. And I would make them removable, or adjustable, for rear or side mount.

My idea was to make them out of 3/4' Schedule 40 PVC. parts I used were aluminum cable wire clips/clamps, stainless steel screws, Christi's Hot Glue, 1/4" black bungee cord, and stainless steel pipe clamps. And I almost forgot the silver paint.

In order to make the units removable, I had to take 1 1/4" PVC "T" and cut the back of it about 1" to allow it to be clamped on. The "T" was one that was sized down to 3/4". The rest of the unit is 3/4". From this point, I just designed it as a square "U" shape. I used PVC glue on all PVC parts and Then used stainless steel screw on every angle and part. The aluminum cable clamps were used to hold the bungee in place. before adding the cable clamps and bungee, I painted the units silver.

Each unit weighs about 17 ounces, just over 1 pound. The whole unit is attached to the arch with 8 of the stainless steel hose clamps. Once tightened down, they do not move, unless you put some muscle into it, but it would then break. It can be mounted sideways or like I have done, towards the back.

The whole project took me about 3 hours, and only cost me about $35 each unit, so about $70 (US).

I hope this gives some people some ideas or they can build one for themselves. It's an easy project for anyone who has a radar arch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vest rack 1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	129237   Click image for larger version

Name:	vest rack 2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	129238   Click image for larger version

Name:	vest rack 3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	129239   Click image for larger version

Name:	vest rack 4.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	129240   Click image for larger version

Name:	vest rack 5.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	129241  

Old 06 May 2019, 03:01   #2

more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vest rack 6.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	129242   Click image for larger version

Name:	vest rack 7.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	129243   Click image for larger version

Name:	vest rack 8.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	129244  
Old 06 May 2019, 14:27   #3

Length: 3m +
Not a legal requirement to carry them in the UK*. In Ireland legal requirement they are worn.

Your solution seems OK, but will you end up wearing out the lifejackets with UV and weather etc?

*Clearly that's not an endorsement of not wearing them. But here is my point... **Wearing them**
Old 06 May 2019, 15:36   #4

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
I don’t get it. Why not just wear them [emoji849]
Old 06 May 2019, 16:18   #5

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Some choose not to.
For reasons best known to themselves.
Simple rule for my own boat, if you don't want to wear a lifejacket - I provide them - then don't get on board.
Old 06 May 2019, 16:20   #6

I guess it comes down to the laws that you are required to follow in your country. In the USA, we are required to have them on board, one for each passenger. I carry 4. Since we are scuba diving and freediving, and have wetsuits on, we are not required to wear them. But the Coast Guard or Game Wardens will give us a ticket if these are not on board, as well as all other required safety gear. So, I only have them on board as required by law. And why would you want to wear such an ugly and awkward vest? There are much better ones that have better floatation and are aesthetically pleasing.

If we are not wearing wetsuits for diving, you are required to wear them while boating. Now, if I just go pole fishing on the boat, then I just wear my Mustang Auto inflating vest, and have my passengers wear one also. I am able to remove the setup in this instance.

Again, I am required to have them on board, but I built the unit to have them out of the way, but accessible.
Old 06 May 2019, 16:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Some choose not to.
For reasons best known to themselves.
Simple rule for my own boat, if you don't want to wear a lifejacket - I provide them - then don't get on board.
You are assuming that I don't wear a vest, nor my passengers. I do wear a life vest when I am not out scuba diving or freediving. All passengers are to wear one also. I just don't use these. I have these orange ones as required by law. This is the vest I have for myself and passengers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mustang vest.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	129247  
Old 06 May 2019, 16:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Not a legal requirement to carry them in the UK*. In Ireland legal requirement they are worn.

Your solution seems OK, but will you end up wearing out the lifejackets with UV and weather etc?

*Clearly that's not an endorsement of not wearing them. But here is my point... **Wearing them**
They will last long enough. They are removed when I am not using the boat. And when they do go bad, they are cheap and easy to replace. I get them for $8 each. If they last 2-3 years, I got my moneys worth.
Old 06 May 2019, 17:55   #9

Yeah the US rules are a bit odd.

You can't count an auto gas. You have to have a USCG approved solid foam device on the boat for each passenger.
Old 06 May 2019, 23:49   #10

Quote:

You can't count an auto gas. You have to have a USCG approved solid foam device on the boat for each passenger.
Correct! Even wearing a vest for each passenger, we still have to have these extra vests on board. Hence, my reason for having them out of the way, but within reach. We have some weird and stupid rules and laws here in California, as well as the rest of the USA. But I follow them, so I don't get a fat ticket that cost me hundreds of dollar. I can use that money somewhere else.
Old 07 May 2019, 07:52   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

I believe the same rules apply for commercial use in Ireland.
Old 07 May 2019, 08:43   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I believe the same rules apply for commercial use in Ireland.
Actually, no. A small passenger boat must carry a SOLAS approved LJ for every passenger. Most boats use foam, but SOLAS double chamber gas jackets CAN be substituted at enormous cost, both in purchase, annual servicing and certification.

The above makes more sense when considered alongside the requirements regarding WEARING a jacket - this applies only on craft below 7m. Therefore an angling charter boat will not enforce wearing of inflatable LJs and simply carry a store of SOLAS foams. No servicing or certification. RIBs will typically have to make clients wear LJs at all times due to the low freeboard and nature of the craft. In my case, passengers wear non-SOLAS gas jackets (150n) and I have foams available on board. I understand that this is mad, but the coding body has painted themselves into a corner and are quite happy there.

Being Ireland, there is no enforcement.

OP - nice jacket rack - I feel your pain.
Old 07 May 2019, 16:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Actually, no. A small passenger boat must carry a SOLAS approved LJ for every passenger. Most boats use foam, but SOLAS double chamber gas jackets CAN be substituted at enormous cost, both in purchase, annual servicing and certification.

The above makes more sense when considered alongside the requirements regarding WEARING a jacket - this applies only on craft below 7m. Therefore an angling charter boat will not enforce wearing of inflatable LJs and simply carry a store of SOLAS foams. No servicing or certification. RIBs will typically have to make clients wear LJs at all times due to the low freeboard and nature of the craft. In my case, passengers wear non-SOLAS gas jackets (150n) and I have foams available on board. I understand that this is mad, but the coding body has painted themselves into a corner and are quite happy there.

Being Ireland, there is no enforcement.

Thank you. I posted to share an idea for those who are looking for a similar idea.
Old 07 May 2019, 19:38   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
He doesn’t really, he’s got a massive “ship” with more storage than my garden “shed” and probably can configure those foam jackets into a nice mattress!
Old 09 May 2019, 17:12   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
He doesn’t really, he’s got a massive “ship” with more storage than my garden “shed” and probably can configure those foam jackets into a nice mattress!
But I already have two mattresses as standard! However, I do keep them in film wrapped bales and they make quite comfy seats.