Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 December 2007, 05:13   #1
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 455
Safety Equipement

Hi,
I hope everybody had a nice Christmas and is busy recovering in preparation for the new year.

I'd like to compile a list of all the necessary safety equipement (excluding electronics) i'm going to kit my rib out with. I'm not going to be navigating at night.
- flares
- a lifejacket per person onboard (unless divers wearing a wetsuit)
- chart
- compass
- fog horn
- a waterproof torche
- anchor, chain & rope
- first aid kit
- screw driver, spark plug spanner, adjustable spanner, knife
- rollup anorak
- spare batteries for my portable GPS

In France legal requirements include (I don't agree with these) :
- a liferaft !
- a horseshoe float (I don't know its real name)
- a floating self righting flash light
- a mirror

What am I missing ? Any suggestions ?

Thank you
__________________

__________________
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 05:50   #2
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,183
I am sure if you search you will find various threads of this type - or even Nos's guide to starting boating.

I assume in your list you meant dry suit not wet suit (As I understand it divers wearing wetsuits remove their bouyancy vest on the boat and a wet suit will offer no flotation)?

The obvious thing that jumped out from your list is an alternative means of propulsion - e.g. second engine or paddles or perhaps both.

Spare prop and spanner etc might also be worth thinking about. Bucket or manual pump?
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 05:53   #3
mdt
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
What am I missing ? Any suggestions ?
Duck tape....
__________________
“The only difference between men and boys, is the price and size of their toys”
mdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 08:29   #4
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 455
Great.

OK, so I have duck tape, oars, bailler, spare prop & spanner added. The aux engine will follow.

I did think that the subject will a been discussed already but when I did a search on "safety" almost every subject came up and when I used "safety equipement" I 3 non related subjects.

I'll read Nos's Guide and improve my list with it.
__________________
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 08:33   #5
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I assume in your list you meant dry suit not wet suit (As I understand it divers wearing wetsuits remove their bouyancy vest on the boat and a wet suit will offer no flotation)?
I did mean wetsuit and not dry suit. I do spearfishing which has to be done freediving. A 7mm wetsuit will float anybody. Infact you have alot of difficulty getting down without a weightbelt.
__________________
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 08:53   #6
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 455
The list so far :
- flares
- a lifejacket per person onboard (unless divers wearing a wetsuit)
- chart
- compass
- fog horn
- a waterproof torche
- anchor, chain & rope
- first aid kit
- screw driver, spark plug spanner, adjustable spanner, knife
- rollup anorak
- spare batteries for my portable GPS
- spare pull cord
- spare kill cord
- duck tape
- oars
- bailler / bucket
- spare prop & spanner
- inflation pump

Nos's guide is helpful.

Has anyone got a good sugestion for where the oars should go ? I think i'm going to need to get an A-frame with dry boxes for storage.
__________________
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 09:20   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Has anyone got a good sugestion for where the oars should go ? I think i'm going to need to get an A-frame with dry boxes for storage.
Rather than oars you probably want paddles (unless like me you have somewhere for rowlocks to fit - which would be unusual on a rib). They are also easier to stow. I think you can get some that split in two/telescopic.

The other thing I have spotted that is missing from your list is tow rope(s) and possibly a towing bridle. And a throwing line (not sure if there is one included with the horseshoe).
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 09:37   #8
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 455
A question of vocabulary. I indeed thought of using my spare kayak paddle which can be split in two as i'll be selling my kayak.

When I put rope down with the anchor I did think of spare rope aswell but I didn't separate it. I will do so straight away. A rope can be used as a throw line or a tow line or whatever I think. I'll have a parachute (floating anchor) on board as I drift alot, so there will always be plenty of rope laying around.

What do you think of the French legal requirements ?
- a liferaft !
- a horseshoe float (I don't know its real name)
- a floating self righting flash light
- a mirror
__________________
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 09:52   #9
Member
 
havener's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Far west!
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
What do you think of the French legal requirements ?
- a liferaft !
- a horseshoe float (I don't know its real name)
- a floating self righting flash light
- a mirror
The last three are eminently sensible - 3 & 4 are taken directly from the SOLAS requirements for items to be carried in liferafts / ships lifeboats.

The liferaft requirement does seem a bit over the top though - must admit I've never noticed a proliferation of liferafts on French boast and I spend half my time in Frenh ports!

How is it enforced in relation to expiry dates, release mechanisms, etc ?

On mentioning it to a few of the crew, I received a wonderful smile and Gallic shrug from our bosun, who also has his own rib. Yes he knows the rules, everyone knows the rules, which is why for years he has had an empty liferaft cannister strapped to the boat!
__________________
havener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 09:53   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,183
[quote=Pablo;231892] When I put rope down with the anchor I did think of spare rope aswell but I didn't separate it. I will do so straight away. A rope can be used as a throw line or a tow line or whatever I think. I'll have a parachute (floating anchor) on board as I drift alot, so there will always be plenty of rope laying around.
quote]

My anchor rope is only 8mm (IIRC). My tow rope is 18mm. Tow rope can float - anchor rope must not. My throw line is 10 mm floating rope in a bag specifically intended to make it throw. I'm not saying one rope can't do all 3 jobs but worth bearing in mind that there are different types of rope suited to different applications.
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 10:46   #11
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by havener View Post
The last three are eminently sensible - 3 & 4 are taken directly from the SOLAS requirements for items to be carried in liferafts / ships lifeboats.

The liferaft requirement does seem a bit over the top though - must admit I've never noticed a proliferation of liferafts on French boast and I spend half my time in Frenh ports!

How is it enforced in relation to expiry dates, release mechanisms, etc ?

On mentioning it to a few of the crew, I received a wonderful smile and Gallic shrug from our bosun, who also has his own rib. Yes he knows the rules, everyone knows the rules, which is why for years he has had an empty liferaft cannister strapped to the boat!
The liferaft legislation is quite recent and is only required for boat navigating more than 6 nm from a shelter. The definition of what a shelter is is vague to say the least.
__________________
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 10:53   #12
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
When I put rope down with the anchor I did think of spare rope aswell but I didn't separate it. I will do so straight away. A rope can be used as a throw line or a tow line or whatever I think. I'll have a parachute (floating anchor) on board as I drift alot, so there will always be plenty of rope laying around.
My anchor rope is only 8mm (IIRC). My tow rope is 18mm. Tow rope can float - anchor rope must not. My throw line is 10 mm floating rope in a bag specifically intended to make it throw. I'm not saying one rope can't do all 3 jobs but worth bearing in mind that there are different types of rope suited to different applications.
OK, I understand what you're saying. When I bought the boat anchor rope & tow rope (don't know if it floats) where provided. I'm not convinced however that a specific throw line is really worth having. I might change my mind with use.
__________________
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 11:09   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,908
RIBase
Take a lifejacket per person even if they wear a wetsuit-if someone goes in in rough seas then a wetsuit won't keep their head up.
Add a thermal/foil blanket or two as well. They are cheap and take up about the same amount of room as a packet of cigarettes.

Personally I have a personal day/night flare,a blunt ended knife and a waterproof handheld VHF attached to my lifejacket too-mostly aimed at getting myself rescued if I go overboard solo and can't get back to the boat. I had one too many high speed near-ejections on my old sr4.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 11:34   #14
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 455
The newly updated list so far :
- flares
- a lifejacket per person onboard
- chart
- compass
- fog horn
- a waterproof torche
- anchor, chain & rope
- tow rope
- first aid kit including thermal/foil blanket
- screw driver, spark plug spanner, adjustable spanner, knife
- spare batteries for my portable GPS
- spare pull cord
- spare kill cord
- duck tape
- oars
- bailler / bucket
- spare prop & spanner
- inflation pump
- a horseshoe float
- a floating self righting flash light
- mirror

I've removed the rollup anorak for the thermal/foil blanket. I'm really not convinced that the mirror is worth having but for the price and space it takes up i'll get one anyway.
__________________
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 12:36   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
The newly updated list so far :
- flares
- a lifejacket per person onboard
- chart
- compass
- fog horn
- a waterproof torche
- anchor, chain & rope
- tow rope
- first aid kit including thermal/foil blanket
- screw driver, spark plug spanner, adjustable spanner, knife
- spare batteries for my portable GPS
- spare pull cord
- spare kill cord
- duck tape
- oars
- bailler / bucket
- spare prop & spanner
- inflation pump
- a horseshoe float
- a floating self righting flash light
- mirror

I've removed the rollup anorak for the thermal/foil blanket. I'm really not convinced that the mirror is worth having but for the price and space it takes up i'll get one anyway.
Pablo

Interesting thought - spurred me to action too so I did a check against the RYA Powerboat Handbook. Some obvious additional points from there:
- VHF Radio (not mentioned in your post at all)
- Fire extinguisher(s)
- Tube repair kit
- Water (good point this!)
- Your mobile phone in waterproof bag

They also mention:
- a watch (rather too obvious but necessary!)
- "Relevant Shapes" (well...)
- Almanac (if you don't carry this then suggest at least having laminated tide tables of your relevant primary/local ports)

Other things you might want to consider:
- Spare handheld VHF (or this anyway if you don't have a fixed unit)
- Spare electrical fuses
- Energy foods
- Navigation Protractor (of your favoured type)
- Laminated Mayday procedure - preferably taped down next to radio
- Sunblock
- Adding a 'leatherman' type multitool to your toolkit - surprising how often you need 2 pliers.

Hope that helps...
__________________
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 13:11   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,914
Puncture repair for the boat . A couple of those clamp in devices (can't remember the name ?) especially if you have spear guns about
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2007, 14:24   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Any suggestions on spare prop ( and the nut / split pin). In a reasonable size boat is this OTT ?( even if its not 100% efiicient / same pitch etc - a get you home type back up ?)
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2007, 05:18   #18
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
Pablo

Interesting thought - spurred me to action too so I did a check against the RYA Powerboat Handbook. Some obvious additional points from there:
- VHF Radio (not mentioned in your post at all)
- Fire extinguisher(s)
- Tube repair kit
- Water (good point this!)
- Your mobile phone in waterproof bag

They also mention:
- a watch (rather too obvious but necessary!)
- "Relevant Shapes" (well...)
- Almanac (if you don't carry this then suggest at least having laminated tide tables of your relevant primary/local ports)

Other things you might want to consider:
- Spare handheld VHF (or this anyway if you don't have a fixed unit)
- Spare electrical fuses
- Energy foods
- Navigation Protractor (of your favoured type)
- Laminated Mayday procedure - preferably taped down next to radio
- Sunblock
- Adding a 'leatherman' type multitool to your toolkit - surprising how often you need 2 pliers.

Hope that helps...
Great reply, thanks.

I've not mentioned VHF because I said all elements barring the electronics.
Is a fire extinguisher truely useful compared to a bucket of water ?
A tube repair kit or a clamp device as suggested by Ian. Possibly a good idea although i've never seen a RIBs tube become punctured enough to deflate completely.
Spare fuses are a good idea though.
Energy foods & water will be renewed for each trip. In France energy foods usually consist in baguette & dried sausages (i'm joking).
OK for the watch & mobile phone.
What on earth are "Relevant Shapes" ?
An Almanac, very good suggestion, here it's the Almanac du Marin Breton.
A Navigation Protractor, OK
Sunblock during the summer.
Multitool, already onboard.

@Blackroady the spare prop is already on the list.

I'll put up the updated list. I think there are a few redundent elements.
__________________
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2007, 05:25   #19
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 455
The newly updated list so far :
- flares
- a lifejacket per person onboard
- chart
- compass
- fog horn
- a waterproof torche
- anchor, chain & rope
- tow rope
- first aid kit including thermal/foil blanket
- screw driver, spark plug spanner, adjustable spanner, knife, pliers
- spare spark plugs
- spare batteries for my portable GPS
- spare pull cord
- spare kill cord
- duck tape
- paddles
- bailler / bucket
- spare prop & spanner
- inflation pump
- a horseshoe float
- a floating self righting flash light
- mirror
- spare fuses
- watch & mobile phone
- Almanac
- Navigation Protractor
- multitool


Are there any redundent items ? I have the impression i'm going to have to buy every object on ribshop's security items list and more !
__________________
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2007, 10:48   #20
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,908
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Is a fire extinguisher truely useful compared to a bucket of water ?
You really don't want a bucket of water on a fire involving petrol.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.