Old 28 August 2020, 19:15   #1

Length: 6m +
Safety

While out a few weeks ago my son fell off the RIB. No drama, safe water near beach, wearing bouyancy, he was recovered safely and fairly quickly. He climbed in over the transom through the A frame.

But

It got me thinking. If I went over I wouldn't be so nimble! At 72 it would be a struggle to get back on board.

There isn't room for a boarding ladder at the stern because the Yam 115 takes up so much room on my fairly narrow RIB (Humber Destroyer 5.5m).

What means do others have for getting back on board?
Old 28 August 2020, 19:43   #2

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
was just talking about this today with an ex lifeboat man and he suggested a webbing strap with a carabineer on each end that could be fastened to the hand line that runs down each tube fastened in front of a front d ring and behind a rear one forming a loop that you could stand on in the water to help you get aboard . he also said if it wasn't too choppy someone on board could let the sponson on your side down enough to help you get aboard then could be pumped back up with the pump i carry
Old 28 August 2020, 19:49   #3

Amazing. I've just made a "boarding loop". The idea is it loops over one of my (strong) rod holders on the A frame. It will hang over the side. I have spliced an eye in the end which has a rigid pipe and so forms a stirrup. This can be used over the side or stern to get back on board.
Old 28 August 2020, 20:03   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Good to know how to get back onboard solo. The kill switch being worn...do I actually need to say it? Often it is easy enough to step on the outboard and climb back on over the transom. Good to practice in calm conditions and figure out body movements. It might be climbing on the engine and landing the butt on a tube, then swinging a leg over the transom. Or as simple as putting a foot on the outboard, grabbing the tower, and pulling yourself onboard.

A loop of some kind is only good if it is kept in place and can be deployed from the water. This also means it can't be so long that it could tangle in the prop. Some ladders must be deployed while still in the boat which makes them kinda useless from water level.
Old 28 August 2020, 20:04   #5

Agreed, if solo.
Old 28 August 2020, 20:11   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Presumably if your solo the kill cord cut the engine off if not then the helm can switch off and use the engine av plate as a step & climb in over the stern. We used this method when we did a lot of waterskiing years ago. Simple & effective
Old 28 August 2020, 20:14   #7

Length: 3m +
Some of the suggested methods.

A rope loop could do similar to webbing less comfortable bit will work in emergency. May need a lower and higher loop. You can buy a ready assembled webbing for not a huge price. Our sailing club has bought these for covid times to allow socially distanced self recovery.

The other method not mentioned is to (engine off obviously) stand on the cav plate of the engine and use the trim and tilt to lift the engine (and you)

I find casualty facing away and grab straps of bouyanch aid at shoulders and lift so they come up and sit on the tube works very well. Some people think it makes communication with the casualty harder ...and they can't assist at all. Will be hard on a 20 stone bloke.
Old 28 August 2020, 20:16   #8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rib-Inflata.../dp/B011DH4ZKE
Old 28 August 2020, 20:19   #9

Great. I'll buy one!
Old 28 August 2020, 21:12   #10

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Never done it but always wanted to try this
Old 28 August 2020, 21:15   #11

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I cut a standard folding boarding ladder down the middle and welded it back together just wide enough to get a foot in.

Works really well for us.

Nasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transom.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	134796  
Old 28 August 2020, 21:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Cheaper here https://boatworld.co.uk/webbing-ladder?search=Ladder

Would be if it was in stock
Old 29 August 2020, 04:47   #13

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
I wonder how hard it would become getting back in the single crewed boat in unfavourable sea conditions in winter wearing chest waders over lots of warm (now wet) clothing with your life vest now fully inflated. My opinion is that I being the wrong side of 70 and overweight, assuming I had managed to keep with the boat I would really struggle to get over my 52cm tubes. The transom with engine and launch wheels fitted is not easy either. I think if I didnt make it back on board in a couple of attempts, I would be too exhausted to try again. I could set off a flare, except they are safely on board. I can use my hand held VHF, but thats maybe not clipped to my vest and even if it was, the limited wattage signal transmitted at sea level wont reach far. So lets hope the wife raises the alarm when I dont come home on time. Not a pretty picture is it, The young and fit will make it back in, us others just need to be a lot more careful and buddy up where possible with other sibs/ribs when out for fun or fishing.
Old 29 August 2020, 05:12   #14

Town: Chelmsford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
The issue with those is that your feet tend to go under your boat when you try and use one of those
Old 29 August 2020, 05:14   #15

Town: Chelmsford
If your outboard is PTT and yopu have a button on the engine it is possible to stand on the cav plate and press the up button and let the engine lift you on
Old 29 August 2020, 07:52   #16

If you are out solo, get a PLB and keep it on your person!
Old 29 August 2020, 07:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
If your outboard is PTT and yopu have a button on the engine it is possible to stand on the cav plate and press the up button and let the engine lift you on
Is the additional weight an issue for the PTT?? OK in an emergency but not perhaps sensible as a regular exercise.
Old 29 August 2020, 07:54   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
If you are out solo, get a PLB and keep it on your person!
Agreed - got one. But it seems somewhat perverse to mobilise the Rescue Teams when I am bobbing around next to a perfectly serviceable RIB
Old 29 August 2020, 07:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
I wonder how hard it would become getting back in the single crewed boat in unfavourable sea conditions in winter wearing chest waders over lots of warm (now wet) clothing with your life vest now fully inflated. My opinion is that I being the wrong side of 70 and overweight, assuming I had managed to keep with the boat I would really struggle to get over my 52cm tubes. The transom with engine and launch wheels fitted is not easy either. I think if I didnt make it back on board in a couple of attempts, I would be too exhausted to try again. I could set off a flare, except they are safely on board. I can use my hand held VHF, but thats maybe not clipped to my vest and even if it was, the limited wattage signal transmitted at sea level wont reach far. So lets hope the wife raises the alarm when I dont come home on time. Not a pretty picture is it, The young and fit will make it back in, us others just need to be a lot more careful and buddy up where possible with other sibs/ribs when out for fun or fishing.
You state my dilemma better than I did. I was thinking of a safety line so I cant fall out at all.
Old 29 August 2020, 07:59   #20

Thanks for the views - its good to understand how others deal with the issue. I am going to research getting a SS boarding ladder and modifying it as Nasher suggests. Probably ask Stainless Steve in Lymington to do the welding.

Thanks again.