Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 06 February 2005, 20:09   #21

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
You haven't encountered the Solent barnacles then, warm shallow water, full of nutrients , they can grow an inch whilst your having your first pint in the folly.

What we need is someone who has a nice shiney new boat to do half the hull in Formula X and the other side in "car polish". the only problem though is if it doesn't work then ......

So how is your new boat coming along Tim?

Pete
Old 06 February 2005, 22:59   #22

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
If it is of any help I am actually a test boat for safeboatskin, I keep the boat in a marina, but take it out now and again for trips to the South Coast and stop at home to give it a jet wash on the way back. I have pictures of when the safeboatskin was applied last year on the 18th June to a brand new boat, and as I have it on my driveway at the moment, just re safeboatskinned for this season, I could re photograph it now, but don't know how to get the pictures on here, so if anyone can help, I can show you if anyone is interested.
Old 07 February 2005, 09:53   #23

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
If it is of any help I am actually a test boat for safeboatskin, I keep the boat in a marina, but take it out now and again for trips to the South Coast and stop at home to give it a jet wash on the way back. I have pictures of when the safeboatskin was applied last year on the 18th June to a brand new boat, and as I have it on my driveway at the moment, just re safeboatskinned for this season, I could re photograph it now, but don't know how to get the pictures on here, so if anyone can help, I can show you if anyone is interested.
Well done Pete.Someone help this man to post the pics ..... Pics would be great. It's a shame the Irish agent has no pics like you . Post away please .
Old 07 February 2005, 10:25   #24

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
don't know how to get the pictures on here, so if anyone can help, I can show you if anyone is interested.
Have you had a read of this Pete?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2005, 11:01   #25
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Pete,
have the photos saved on your PC as .gif, jpe, jpeg, jpg, pdf, png, psd, any of these will do. You can save pictures as JPEG in MS Photoeditor. Then when you select 'post reply' scroll down to manage attatchments, select 'browse', find the file, select 'upload' and there you are!

Alex
Old 07 February 2005, 13:54   #26

The first three pictures were taken after 1st safeboatskin was applied in June 04, the last two (boat on trailer) were taken this afternoon 7/2/05.

Please note that a tea type stain appears on the hull after some time, but this is cleaned off easily as you can see. I applied the product to my leg which still looks like new.

Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4347.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	10307   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4349.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	10308   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4355.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	10309   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7077.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	10310   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7082.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	10311  

Old 07 February 2005, 14:53   #27

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Likewise here are some photos of my hull. First two are with safeboatskin applied to both hull and underside of tubes when boat was new back in June. The last three were taken about 5 minutes ago. The RIB spent 6-7 wks at a time in the water on a mooring, however she was on a marina berth for 7 wks also. Was used most weekends. Longest time in the water was 8 wks.

Pictures really don't tell the story properly though. I will try to make a movie of the next time I take the RIB out of the water so you can see how easily the tea stain that Peteb talked about cleans off and how clean & growth-free the hull is after a long period in the water. Will have to wait though as she is currently on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS Before.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	10315   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS Before2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	10316   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS After.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	10317   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS After2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	10318   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS After3.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	10319  

Old 07 February 2005, 15:04   #28

I feel sorry for the poor buggers that have to ruin their hull at great cost in order to put that old fashioned ugly 'anti foul' on, and spend loads of money, time and effort re doing it each year

Anyway, I took a chance with the experiment and my hull is still like new, I'm happy, and I know what will be staying on my hull

I guess everyone has to make up their own mind, and as I am a test boat and being sponsored with it on, I should really keep quiet and let each person make up their own mind.
Old 08 February 2005, 22:53   #29

Well no comments from anybody on the fine results of safeboatskin, seems that it has clearly passed the test then, and put the old fashioned anti-foul in the history books
Old 09 February 2005, 08:37   #30

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
Question.

My hull was antifouled and has been/is being removed. First two applications of dilunet chemical stripper then wet and dry to remove the difficult bits. The result is a clean but not polished, finish. Will SBS work on a rough finish or does it have to be super smooth?

Are they looking for another test boat. Something not shiny and new?

Tim.
Old 09 February 2005, 08:42   #31

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
It must be something to do with the waters the boat is kept in. I put SBS on the tubes of mine amd after 6mths got lots of 10mm size baricles all over it.
Jelly
Old 09 February 2005, 09:32   #32

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Jelly, presumably your hull was antifouled. where there any barnacles on the hull ?

Pete
Old 09 February 2005, 10:50   #33

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly
It must be something to do with the waters the boat is kept in. I put SBS on the tubes of mine amd after 6mths got lots of 10mm size baricles all over it.
This is interesting and I would like to hear more from people who have put SBS on their tubes. It worked perfectly with mine, but my tubes are made of Polyurethane. Maybe Polyurethane is smoother than Hypalon??, I don't know.
I've put SBS on another Rib's tubes also, but it was a Tornado with PU tubes and it yielded the same results.

One thing I made sure to do when taking the RIB out though was to dip each tube in the water during a high speed turn to rinse any growth straight off. This is the principle on which SBS works.
Old 09 March 2005, 18:58   #34

Town: Cork
IBI report

Safeboatskin , IBI report from Stockholm boat show .march 5th.

http://www.ybw.com/ibinews/newsdesk/...32ibinews.html
Old 09 March 2005, 20:29   #35

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Just remember - just because it is good for the environment does NOT mean it works very well. Just look at TBT antifouling - worked TOO well which is why it was banned!!!
Old 10 March 2005, 14:34   #36

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Sorry for delay in Reply
The hull had copperbot or similar and that was absolutly clean about the only thing that was. Tubes are normal hyplon from Henshaws I think.
The outdrive with the spray on outdrive antifoul was semi messy and also needed cleaning. The SBS on the tubes didn't have much weed but did had barnicales.
Jelly
Old 08 October 2008, 17:13   #37

Make: PTY Stealth
Engine: 2x ETEC 75HP
Safeboat skin Pics of failure

Before I say how disappointed I am with this product if 1 was a failure and 100 a success then it rates at 50 for its success as a hull protector, and 0 as an anti foul.
The boat was in the sea water in an outer harbor in Devon for a Total of 8 Weeks.

The product was applied as suggested and recommended, it did perform well for three weeks, the Rib is used 1 to 2 times a week, and is capable of 50 Knots.

I am at present getting it professionally cleaned, the gunk is coming off and is probably easier to remove than it would have been without treatment.

It did not and does not keep your boat clean /anti fouled.

I would recommend it for a boat not kept in water continually which is launched and recovered the same day.
It does help performance while its clean in the first few weeks.
It certainly does not do everything advertised at least not on the Devon Coast.

The Pictures show how the product does not perform as an anti foul, it does perform as a hull protector,at least the mess is coming off after some hard work, IF I HAD LEFT IT ANY LONGER THE HULL WOULD OF DETERIORATED TO BE A PROBLEM! ( Thankfully I only put the boat in late season! )
The pictures speak for themselves.
Get your boat anti fouled with some decent stuff ! Dont Believe the reviews.

The Boat was as new before treatment with safeboat skin, buyer beware what you intend to do with your boat!

http://gallery.me.com/russkirk#100079

I think the pictures explain my disappointment and my wallet is feeling lighter due to the Safeboat skin and the Clean and new Anti foul needed.
I will post some more pics of the nice job of clean, key,undercoat and antifoul done by a local company when complete later this week.