Old 13 July 2003, 21:18   #1

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Charlie Gril II
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8.5
Engine: Inboard, Diesel, 315
Rya2 / Icc

I picked up my RIB nearly two weeks ago and have been around the IoW, down to Poole, Weymouth, evening trip to Bembridge and complete a Night Trip to Cowes. So much Fun.

I need to obtain RYA 2/ICC as I want to start channel crossings, I have been involved with mainly Sports boats over the last 14 Years which has been UK coastal cruising, during that time I had training with Mic Chinery back in 1989 for boat handling etc.

I would appreciate advice on a good training school in the Portsmouth area.

Kevin
Old 13 July 2003, 21:44   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hi Kevin,

I did some courses with David Robson at Aquapower at Yarmouth, I.O.W. http://www.aquapower.co.uk 100% recommended.

How do you like the new boat? You must have had her about the same length of time I've had mine now.
Old 13 July 2003, 21:48   #3

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
I also did my L2 & Advanced with David Robson - highly recommended.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2003, 14:59   #4

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply, I will e-mail Aquapower. Picked my Scorpion up Wednesday 2nd July and I am very impressed, the attention to detail is first class. Still getting used to the Yanmar / Bravo 3X combination, sometimes I get a clattering noise when I move the Morse control in and out of gear when slow moving for mooring, I had this checked out at Lymington but it would appear that I am being to gentle on the control. Also slight concern at the amount of drive oil being consumed, so far I have had to top the reservoir up twice in 21 Hours, I have seem other threads about this on the forum, I will be asking for this to be checked out at the 50 Hour Service. This is my first boat in the past my boating experience has been with my fathers boats which have been Sunseeker’s, Cranchi, Windy and a Fairline, the Scorpion by far has given me the biggest grin.

How have you found yours?

Kevin
Old 14 July 2003, 15:16   #5

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Scorpion

Hi Kevin

We have the same boat as allthough we have the 300 Yanmar. Its a great boat and engine combination and you will have some great fun in her. The boat finish that graham does is excellent and we have never had a problem with anything that is onboard. Ours in 4 years old now but its still in A1 condition etc. We have about 7 scorpions going to France for the weekend this friday. This would be a good run for you but you may have trouble getting accomodation this late in the day.

Look forward to seeing you on the water

Julian
Old 14 July 2003, 17:41   #6

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
With your experience Hairy, I'd go for the RYA advanced course, The Powerboat 2 course isn't very comprehensive, and really is for Novices.

Aquapoer can assess you for your ICC and then you could go on and do your advanced Coursethey take the same amount of time and covers a night stage
Old 14 July 2003, 22:14   #7

Town: London
Boat name: Easy Elsie
Make: J Craft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175bhp Evinrude ETEC
RYA 2 & ICC

I know that you have indicated Portsmouth but can I suggest that you have a weekend break and visit Professional Powerboat Training in Pwllheli, North Wales. I completed my RYA 2/ICC there. The course was great, the scenery is breathtaking and the waters stimulating in that they were challenging and varied.

Well worth the trip.

Let me know if you need any more info, and no, I'm not on a retainer.

Jonathan Tait-Harris
Old 15 July 2003, 15:06   #8

Thanks for the advice on training.

Julian

It would have been great to come along on Friday but I have family commitments that only allow Saturday as the boating day. I appreciate the offer and please keep me informed of any other channel crossings / meet ups in the future.

Kevin
Old 15 July 2003, 15:20   #9

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Kevin

I have just done rya II to get my ICC and went for direct assessment. Much like yourself I have used boats for some time but never bothered with doing any exams.

The only reason I did this, as I consider it a waste of money for me, is I planned a trip to Spain where I heard a boat was confiscated because the owner couldn’t produce his ICC.

In all the time I have been going to France I have been boarded a few times by French customs and all they want to see is you SSR document. Last year in St-Quay they weren’t even bothered that I didn’t have my passport !!

Saying that I carry the bill of sale, VAT certificate, SSR, Insurance and ICC in the same wallet just in case.

The RYA II I did lasted three hours and we mainly chatted about RIBS as they instructor had one. Buzzed around a bit, threw some bouys overboard etc etc it was no great deal.

Regards

Mark
Old 15 July 2003, 18:15   #10

Town: Blandford / London
Boat name: Top Cat
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 235020739
Training

Hi All

Although new to power boats, I can thoroughly recommend the guys at http://www.powerboat-training.co.uk/ based in Poole. The guy to chat to is Paul, paul@powerboat-training.co.uk
who was most helpful to us and even pointed us in the direction of an excellent RIB that we now own !

(I am not on commission !)

Rgds

Pete