Old 27 October 2013, 16:29   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: starlight
Make: redbay
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzuki df300
RIBase
RYA VHF Radio Course Now Takes 2 Days

I attended the annual RYA VHF assessors conference on Thursday where it was announched that the course will be run in a new format from 2nd Jan 2014.
You can either do online course and then come into a RYA training centre for a morning of further tuition and then after lunch take exam that now has a both a wriiten and practical sections, or take a 2 day course at the training centre for those who don`t like the internet method.
It`s going to take a while for the new format to settle down, but you only have 2 months to get the license the old way in a single day. You legally can`t use a marine vhf radio without a license. I hope this helps.
Solent Boat Training
Solent Charters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2013, 16:45   #2

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Charters View Post
You can either do online course and then come into a RYA training centre for a morning of further tuition and then after lunch take exam that now has a both a wriiten and practical sections
It is considered that it will take at least 5 hours to completed the online course and mock exam. On completion of the online course the student will get a user number which will be proof of completion required before the exam.

Another big difference is that to make the assessment independent of the Recognised Training Centre the Examiner will be employed by the RYA and not the RTC and as such the RYA will pay the Examiner for each student they assess.
Old 27 October 2013, 16:47   #3

Oooh, I need to do mine in the new year along with PB2...

Online instruction sounds good...
Old 27 October 2013, 17:03   #4

Town: southampton
Boat name: starlight
Make: redbay
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzuki df300
RIBase
Only time will tell if it works and gets more people trained up on the proper use of the radio. I`m still amazed when I hear people calling a marina on ch16 ! Or planning which pub to meet at, a very important issue, but not one for the coast guard.
Solent Boat Training
Solent Charters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2013, 17:12   #5

Haha, it is amazing what you hear on it... I just listen in and that's quite interesting...
I remember listening to a mayday over the summer and amazed at how cool and calm the skipper on the radio was...
Old 27 October 2013, 18:12   #6

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
What on earth is the logic behind this?
When I did my VHF, course stated at 0930, was finished by 1600 with coffee and lunch breaks. I can't say it was a particularly taxing day. I really don't see what content would make this a 2 day event- apart from higher fees
Old 27 October 2013, 18:18   #7

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
When I did my VHF, course stated at 0930, was finished by 1600 with coffee and lunch breaks. I can't say it was a particularly taxing day. I really don't see what content would make this a 2 day event- apart from higher fees

The RYA is not to blame for this one - indeed they have kept it simple for years .

The reason for the changes are that a number of the EU countries don’t accept the UK SRC as it currently does not comply with European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT) requirements for course length and examination.
Old 27 October 2013, 18:56   #8

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Glad Im doing mine in two weeks then. Id not want to spend 2 days over it !
Old 27 October 2013, 19:04   #9

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I agree, I enjoyed my 1 day course, and found it very useful, but 2 days ???

Chris

--
Tigga - Avon SR4 Rescue with 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2013, 20:46   #10

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
I've been trying this week to find somewhere convenient to do the course before it changes, and found nothing.

I'll probably try the online version at some point next year and find somewhere to do the assessment in the summer; a one-day VHF course sounds good, but two days sounds like quite a slow way of passing a weekend...
Old 27 October 2013, 22:17   #11

Town: Weymouth
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Charters View Post
I attended the annual RYA VHF assessors conference on Thursday where it was announched that the course will be run in a new format from 2nd Jan 2014.
You can either do online course and then come into a RYA training centre for a morning of further tuition and then after lunch take exam that now has a both a wriiten and practical sections, or take a 2 day course at the training centre for those who don`t like the internet method.
It`s going to take a while for the new format to settle down, but you only have 2 months to get the license the old way in a single day. You legally can`t use a marine vhf radio without a license. I hope this helps.
So why does the Rya offer a watered down course for radio operation, then wonder why it isn't accepted by other European states. The restricted operators certificate(ROC) is 4-5 days or the GENERAL OPERATORS CERTIFICATE (GOC) 8 days are both accepted world wide.
Old 28 October 2013, 07:05   #12

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
The requirement is 10 hours minimum
So online and arrange your exam or a blend of 3 hours online followed by classroom teaching followed by exam
Or classroom 10 hours followed by exam.

I am glad it's changed as it's a very full on course and speaking to other experienced instructors it's a route march to cover all the syllabus on a 0900 to 1700 type course with tea breaks lunch and exams plus marking .
Tim
Old 28 October 2013, 12:06   #13

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin View Post

I am glad it's changed as it's a very full on course and speaking to other experienced instructors it's a route march to cover all the syllabus on a 0900 to 1700 type course with tea breaks lunch and exams plus marking .
Tim
Tim, Did my course early in 2013, I certainly did not feel as if it was very full on, we started at approx 09.00 finished at 16.00 approx, 4 people, and discussed loads of other non course material however VHF related items.

2 days, can't see that !!
Old 28 October 2013, 13:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steco1958 View Post
Tim, Did my course early in 2013, I certainly did not feel as if it was very full on, we started at approx 09.00 finished at 16.00 approx, 4 people, and discussed loads of other non course material however VHF related items.

2 days, can't see that !!

First not sure of your course content and how much time you practiced voice radio procedures on routine, distress, urgent, and safety calls and how much time you spent on DSC and all the other subject related matter that can be included, and if your exam was open or closed book , as was not there but glad you got through the course .
Second new course time is minimum of 10 hours not 16 so day and a half tops.
It will in my opinion give better value to the certificate from the students point of view in allowing more time to absorb the course content and practice using voice radio procedure and give more confidence in using a radio.

Tim
Old 28 October 2013, 13:47   #15

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
A 2 day course is only going to encourage even less people to acquire a licence.

I did mine 20+ years ago, as it was a requirement for powerboat racing. If it wasn't for the racing, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I know quite a few people who are unlicenced, and who work on the principal that they'll only ever use the vhf in an emergency situation, so aren't concerned about the consequences.

I carry both fixed and portable on my boat, and in 20 years of being "legal", I've only used them a handful of times. Really don't see the obsession some people have. If i'm at the yard, I sometimes switch one on, only to hear the same people, radio checking, or waffling on about absolutely nothing.
Old 28 October 2013, 13:52   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
A 2 day course is only going to encourage even less people to acquire a licence.

I did mine 20+ years ago, as it was a requirement for powerboat racing. If it wasn't for the racing, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I know quite a few people who are unlicenced, and who work on the principal that they'll only ever use the vhf in an emergency situation, so aren't concerned about the consequences.

I carry both fixed and portable on my boat, and in 20 years of being "legal", I've only used them a handful of times. Really don't see the obsession some people have. If i'm at the yard, I sometimes switch one on, only to hear the same people, radio checking, or waffling on about absolutely nothing.
Hi Dirk
Its down to the individual at the end of the day if they want to be qualified or not or even competent or not .
Its aimed at the leisure and Commercial world as well as racing so depending on the individuals needs it's up to peeps to make up their own minds .
I am not expecting a mad rush of courses before Christmas that's for sure.
Tim
Old 28 October 2013, 13:54   #17

Lol, I don't suppose you will.

Out of interest, is it possible to have no instruction whatsoever, and just take the test?
Old 28 October 2013, 13:56   #18

Also, I don't think taking and passing the VHF course is a guarantee of continued competence. Bit like an MOT, it's only on that day!!!!
Old 28 October 2013, 14:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Lol, I don't suppose you will.

Out of interest, is it possible to have no instruction whatsoever, and just take the test?
No more Direct Entry Exams from January

Tim
Old 28 October 2013, 21:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
The RYA is not to blame for this one - indeed they have kept it simple for years . The reason for the changes are that a number of the EU countries don’t accept the UK SRC as it currently does not comply with European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT) requirements for course length and examination.
The length of this course is one day in the Netherlands. Guess RYA decides the duration not the EU.