RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Cheers but I bet it won't stop there, next will be anyone issued a commercial endorsement and then later anyone who takes one of their yacht/powerboat courses that issues a ticket.

Am I being too cynical ? No
I think you are being too cynical - but I am surprised they aren't insisting that anyone who is delivering training 'in the RYA's name' is a member. I realise the TC is responsible for the quality etc of the training - but I would expect anyone who is an "RYA Instructor" was actually a member of the RYA. Otherwise they only renew every 5 yrs.

Likewise I would assume that race officers and other officials at races would all be RYA members.
Old 26 July 2013, 19:41   #22
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post

on a more serious note and the the only negative I found was the RYA's attitude to who could take part as I would like to see it opened up to everyone's kids.

Boat handling at all ages should be encourage for everyone and not just people in sailing clubs!
For clarity - Honda Youth Event is open to All RYA affiliated Clubs & Teaching Establishments.

The prize is a boat for YOUR club or Establishment - this is why you must meet this criteria.

The RYAS powerboat committee have arranged two youth events - Castle Semple & Longcrsigs Scout Centre in September .

This IS open to ANYBODY between 8 - 16 who want to try powerboating in a safe controlled manner.

I think I posted the posters for these events here already.

S.
Old 27 July 2013, 08:54   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Sheesh!, this one comes around as often as Dan Cooper & hole drilling. I am a member of the RYA, through choice, because I want to. It's not a perfect organisation by any stretch, it is VERY WAFI orientated BUT; it's a pressure group, it's all we've got WRG to a voice. Ultimately us & WAFIS want the same thing, free unencumbered access to the water with a minimum of regulation. We are without doubt the least regulated country in Europe when it comes to leisure boating, & the RYA has played a pretty large part in maintaining this. The RYA acts as a nuclear deterrent to anyone wishing to impose controls or restrictions on our boating activities. You may not think the RYA does much for you personally, but if you look at the leisure boating political landscape here in the UK, most of it has been protected by the RYA. If anyone can make a buck out of us, they will, be it local councils, national park authorities, harbour authorities, national govt. PLA etc. Without the RYA this lot would just walk all over us, MPs & joe public wouldn't give a f**k, why should he, it's only a bunch of rich boaters with too much money.

Personally I'm in no doubt that without the RYA we'd have compulsory boat licensing & registration (renewable annually at an extortionate cost, a la France) Compulsory personal licensing, light dues for leisure boaters etc etc.

<end rant mode>
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2013, 09:00   #24

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
For clarity - Honda Youth Event is open to All RYA affiliated Clubs & Teaching Establishments.

The prize is a boat for YOUR club or Establishment - this is why you must meet this criteria.

The RYAS powerboat committee have arranged two youth events - Castle Semple & Longcrsigs Scout Centre in September .

This IS open to ANYBODY between 8 - 16 who want to try powerboating in a safe controlled manner.

I think I posted the posters for these events here already.

S.

Hi Scott

Sorry I missed them and for me as you know I want anyone who is interested to have a go and take part and that even includes newbie adults so could you email them to me please and I will add them to FB, twitter and our website for you.
Old 27 July 2013, 11:29   #25

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
This is from the comms that I received

Re: RYA Instructor Membership

I am writing to you following a recent decision by RYA Council concerning RYA membership for key stakeholders within the RYA.

Standard practice within virtually all sporting bodies over many years has been to require all those engaged in any stake holding role related to the organisation to be members of the governing body for that sport. Typically this involves instructors, officials and various other roles relating to the sport. The logic behind such an approach is to encourage commitment and interaction between both the individual and the governing body. Clearly it is appropriate for a governing body to maintain a healthy and direct relationship with its key stakeholders. Equally, it is essential for those stakeholders to be able to demonstrate an on-going association with and commitment to their relevant governing body and indeed to the sport.

The RYA has decided to pursue a similar strategy.
I.e. We want your money for doing nothing that we dont do already
Old 27 July 2013, 12:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
I.e. We want your money for doing nothing that we dont do already
Or we want to have some reassurance that you are in tocuh with us so that when standards change we can tell you.

Honda Rib Challenge - The Scottish event will have been the Scottish Finals, you can't have 500 people turning up to compete there needs to be heats to filter down the numbers. So each club is supposed to host its own competition to select its entrants.
Old 27 July 2013, 12:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
on the folded out section they show a youngster in a yellow shirt
They use simillar for the Team 15 windsurfers and for their On Board Programme.

Probably as well as being some corporate branding acts a bit like a school uniform and stops it all being a bit of a fashion parade with "Look my Daddy bought me the latest, fanciest lifejacket with rocket boosters etc"...

Quote:
you can jsut see an adult aboard.
the adult will be an RYA instructor who is dual kill corded.
They will be probably sitting very low in the bow to allow the helm maximum visibility. they slathom round some small grab bouys at speeds you wouldn't even dream of and have to do start stop MOB type manouvres all against the clock with time penalties for hitting things etc.
Old 27 July 2013, 15:55   #28
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Hi Scott

Sorry I missed them and for me as you know I want anyone who is interested to have a go and take part and that even includes newbie adults so could you email them to me please and I will add them to FB, twitter and our website for you.
I email these but here are the attachments as well for anybody to distribute.

S.

We also trying to arrange try powerboating at Kip boat Show on October
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LONGCRAIGS.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	83295   Click image for larger version

Name:	CASTLE SEMPLE.jpg
Views:	1168
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	83296  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CASTLE SEMPLE.pdf (100.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: pdf LONGCRAIGS.pdf (69.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 27 July 2013, 15:59   #29
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post

Honda Rib Challenge - The Scottish event will have been the Scottish Finals, you can't have 500 people turning up to compete there needs to be heats to filter down the numbers. So each club is supposed to host its own competition to select its entrants.
Yes - this was the the regional final - but as Dave knows this event was NOT well represented ...7 Competitors , hence we are pushing more organised events to try to simulate interest in the Event North of Border. We are hoping to run September and march/april next year.

Scott