Old 14 March 2013, 00:00   #1

Town: Orpington and Lymington
Boat name: Charrnah
Make: 6.5m Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150
Rya day skipper theory

So I'm coming up to the end of my theory course (exams this weekend!!) have been doing it one evening a week for a month or two!

Got me wondering about how many of you actually plot positions, CTS,EP's and such like! (The old fashioned way using paper charts!)

I get the feeling a lot of these things are for bigger trips to the channel isles and probably not often needed in the Solent
Old 14 March 2013, 07:00   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner-paul View Post
Got me wondering about how many of you actually plot positions, CTS,EP's and such like! (The old fashioned way using paper charts!)
If I'm going for a potter in familiar territory I don't bother. If I'm planning a passage rather than just going out for a play, I'll get the chart out, or at least fire the plotter up & have a look. I don't plot EPs, as I don't take the charts out on the boat, but that's another thread but I will jot down a passage plan with the legs on, distance, heading, landmarks waypoints etc.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2013, 07:56   #3

Town: arran
Boat name: 3 boats
Make: 3 boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: all
I have a plan for every trip I do. Although getting more into coastal skipper theory, Spidder webs and XTE ladders are fantastic methods to aid navigation at high speed, when used with a radar. U do all the prep work and plan a few escapes before hand and it usually makes the days boating a lot easier and more relaxed.
Old 14 March 2013, 10:08   #4

Length: 7m +
If im just going out for a spin in known waters no I dont plot course or anything, if im going further afield for a day trip I do look at charts to see if any dangers exist where im going, check tides and weather and think about bolt holes. Make a few notes, think about some waypoints but dont plot them in. (day light cruising)

However I always carry a paper chart just in case as its useful if an incident occurs, and if the plotter/GPS goes down. Also consider what your going to do if fog roles in, having a few waypoints allready plotted into your plotter might help if those waypoints from A to B dont cross any known danger points. For example say your between the Needles and Old Harry Rocks in the bournemouth/poole bay area and fog comes up, what then ? if you had allready plotted way points in or if you have a chart you could do it at that time then you could make for a waypoint off old harry and then next waypoint entrance to poole harbour going via the small boat channel between the training bank and the main swash channel (main shipping channel) that way you have a clear run avoiding perhaps encountering the fast cat ferry leaving poole or going to poole via the swash channel.

Its better to have a chart and not need it than need it and not have it.

Also consider if your going from one port to another I think it is mandatory now to have a passage plan for the authorities to show if they board you. (I may be mistaken but someone told me that allthough I doubt it is enforced).

Even if im just popping out for a spin I tell my better half where im likley to be going to, in which area and when expected back, I then phone them when I get back to marina to 'check in' LOL.

So I would suggest some prep is worthwhile, pre programming some waypoints into a GPS/Plotter is a good idea like some areas to avoid, some known good transit or routes to take, entrances to harbours etc etc.

Just got to think of worse case sceanrios and limit the risk by doing some small things which might make a big difference if an issue comes up.
Old 14 March 2013, 12:36   #5

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
When I am blasting along -I always ask myself the following questions

Do I know exactly where I am?
Do I know where I am going?
Do I have a CTS to get there safely?
Do I know where the rock is that will F@@k my S/S props?

Therefore I always do the passage planning the "old fashion way" as you call it - have is onboard and then principally use my Lowrance 10 HDS c/w radar and depth sounder to confirm the above and reference it to what I actually see.

Remember a passage plan does not have to be written down.

This is the statement at the start of Standard Horizon Chart Plotter User manuals.

Electronic charts displayed by the GPS Chart Plotter are believed to be accurate and reliable, but are not intended to be a substitute for the official charts, which should remain your main reference for all matters related to the execution of safe navigation. For this reason you should always keep the official published and approved nautical

charts on board.
Old 14 March 2013, 21:58   #6

Town: Orpington and Lymington
Boat name: Charrnah
Make: 6.5m Ribeye
Engine: Yam 150
Thanks guys some interesting replies there.. I have purchased some A2 charts blinking expensive and probably a royal pain to work from when on a rib! But better to be safe than sorry! I've made up a few spider webs to help.

Going to be looking at the manual for my plotter shortly to see how XTE works on it!
Old 14 March 2013, 22:09   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Thanks guys some interesting replies there.. I have purchased some A2 charts blinking expensive and probably a royal pain to work from when on a rib! But better to be safe than sorry! I've made up a few spider webs to help.

Going to be looking at the manual for my plotter shortly to see how XTE works on it!
If you're not careful, you can get hung up on XTE, especially in a fast boat. As you drift off course, the XTE naturally increases, the natural reaction is to steer back on to course as rapidly as possible. Before you know it, you are steering a "sawtooth" course. If I am heading for a waypoint & drift off I tend to reset the XTE & "start again" from where I am to where I want to be. Saying that, the auto pilot can steer a wicked straight course
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote