Old 06 January 2004, 11:18   #1

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: Sea Dog
Make: Avon
Length: 4m
Engine: Merc' 25hp
Rules & Regulations?

Would someone please clarify the following points for me please: A group of us have a 6m RIB and were discussing the need for a radar reflector, red/green & all round white light and upgrading to DSC. Our most experienced member insists that the reflector and lights are only necessary if the boat is to be used commercially, is this so? I understand that the coastguard will continue to monitor ch16 until the end of 2004, so can we put off the expense of a radio upgrade for a while? Dave
Old 06 January 2004, 11:39   #2

Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Hurricane 640
Length: 6.7
Engine: Volvo Penta AD31DP
A radar reflector should be carried, the all round white should also be a minimum of 1 meter above the red/green. Dsc is not compulsory but there is little point in buying one without. Al useful stuff.
Old 06 January 2004, 12:13   #3

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Radar reflector should be carried (see SOLAS requirements).

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/solas.pdf

Under 7m & not exceeding 7 knots - should have an all-round white light. As you're likely to exceed 7 knots, red/green needed too.

I believe the coastguard has already stopped monitoring Ch 16. Originally, the cut-off date was later but then it changed! DSC therefore very useful!

IMHO, I would recommend attending RYA training - Power Boat Level 2 to begin with. I found it really helpful and the instructor will know all the regs in detail. Also, if you have a radio one of you must have a licence to operate - VHF Short Range Operator's Licence.

Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2004, 13:05   #4

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
I am unconvinced that a radar reflector is worthwhile on a smallish RIB. The engine is only a foot below it. Most boats don't monitor their radars anyway (esp smaller boat) so it would make little difference showing up on it.
The regs have always been somewhat unclear on RIBs as boats that size and speed don't clearly fall into a catergory for either all round white or white and both colours.
The general scheme usually used on RIBs is either a pole mounted Tricolour or if an A frame is fitted a red, green and white set or a tricolour in the middle of the frame.
DSC is coming but they still monitor 16 up here for the moment.
Old 06 January 2004, 13:09   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Ginger Coastie by give a deffinate anser on the coast guard situation, but my understanding is that they don't use dedicated headset operators but a load speaker in the ops room to monitor channel 16, so it wil still be monitored, thank fully.

Pete
Old 06 January 2004, 13:16   #6

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Quote:
I believe the coastguard has already stopped monitoring Ch 16
My understanding is they still very much listen to Channel 16 but have ceased the requirement to have one operator sitting doing nothing but listen to Channel 16 on a headset. Strikes me as logical really and more flexible way to allocate resources as at some times there is no traffic to speak of whatsoever.

Quote:
....need for a radar reflector, ...... upgrading to DSC
The little pamphlet Lester linked to pretty much covers it - it very much applies to leisure craft . The view initially seemed to be "if you can fit a radar reflector you should do" this has been clarified to - even if you can't fit one you should carry one that can be deployed if necessary. DSC becomes mandatory on small commercial vessels from Jan 05.

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2004, 13:25   #7

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Thanks Pete & Paul for clarifying the listening watch stuff.

BTW, I'm Louise - not Lester!!

Paul - please could you clarify the lights situation - I thought only sailing vessels should show tricolors (at the masthead)?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2004, 13:47   #8

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally posted by Rupert Bear
I am unconvinced that a radar reflector is worthwhile on a smallish RIB.
I'm utterly convinced that a radar reflector is absolutely bugger all use on a small RIB! (Through common sense and uncontrolled trials involving a number of <5m RIBS and a decent Raymarine radar.) The only purpose for carrying a radar reflector IMHO is as a sop to your insurance company and the MCGA in the event that you are involved in an accident. (Although whether you were using it or not may be a moot point.) I suspect the way things are going in the Nanny State the list of stuff we'll have to carry will only increase. Bigger RIBS allround then!
Old 06 January 2004, 14:14   #9

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4.8m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI
So, the Coastguard are still monitoring 16 then if there's soembody in the room with a loadspeaker? I would hope so as I doubt the majority of boaters have DSC yet.

Robert
Old 06 January 2004, 14:14   #10

Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Hurricane 640
Length: 6.7
Engine: Volvo Penta AD31DP
I got into some really thick fog this summer in the Baltic - approaches to Copenhagen and got out the emergency reflector. It is blown up and flies like a kite behind the boat at slow speed, which is all we could do but we were at least complying and on the edge of a busy shipping lane with other vessels doing likewise. We were at least equipped and compling - wether we showed up on a radar screen who nows, but we were boarded later the next day and I was able to welcome our boarding party in the confidence of having all the right stuff.

Happy ribbing
Old 06 January 2004, 14:26   #11

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
I am with Lester on this, in that they may not show up on a small yacht radar, its not the small yacht running me down that I am worried about (says he with a £6k of damaged rib from a yachtie)but the big ships or even the coast guard / SAR looking for me in an emergency.

At £30 for a tube one its a one of cost and a case off "fit and forget".

Pete
Old 06 January 2004, 14:28   #12

Length: no boat
Radar reflectors have been discussed before so it may be worth a look around for previous threads

To cut a long story short unless you spend 100's of pounds they are useless so spend as little as you can ( I spent £16 ) and comply with the law.

Cheers

Mark
Old 06 January 2004, 15:31   #13

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4.8m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI
Just wondering, I have no A-frame on my RIB. How can i fit nav. lights?

Robert
Old 06 January 2004, 15:41   #14

Louise (aka Lester - sorry!) - indeed tricolours for yachts. There is an earlier thread where the MD of a certain RIB manufacturer agreed they had wrongly fitted Tricolours to their RIBs - as a means to keep the cost down for clients!

Without an a frame i'd get a pole made up by a stainless manufacturer that you can take on and off as required - with a bracket on the transom. Use waterproof connectors into a little box you screw to the transom (www.indexmarine.co.uk) to connect the cables as and when. Buy the lights, draw one out and you should get it made up for c£80. Or try a boat jumble.

Refectors - Agree with Mark re get a cheap one. I have a £300 Cyclops one on one boat and a £30 one on the others, as pretty as the Cyclops looks i wish i had my time again re that purchase!

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2004, 15:54   #15

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
I had a light pole on my valiant. White like up top on the pole and a red and green split light on the front of the console. Costs very little. Tameside marine charged me a fortune. I later found a replacement pole with bracket for £12 in sheperds windermere.

Radar reflectors - utterly useless on a rib, read all the tests and you still dont show up on radar but as Alan says you may run into trouble with the insurance conpany if you dont have one.

In fact, i think we should have a whole thread dedicated to Tameside marine. There just as useless as a radar reflector.

« New Rib | Top | Zap Cat »