Old 23 May 2012, 07:40   #41

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
For beginners, Round Britain is a great thing to do but once you have done it it gets a bit boring. People these days want to go further afield and push themselves further. I have been Around Britain 4 or 5 times and there are very few changes that can be made regards stops. I have also done three London or capitol UK cities to Monaco all of which have been very tough trips. The headlands can be very exciting and even when it is calm you have up to a 1.5 mile fetch and getting to the top can certainly fill your pants when the boat takes off and everything goes quite for a short time before the big bang! Alan P
Old 23 May 2012, 10:54   #42

Town: Cape Agulhas / Struisbaai
Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x200 Mercury Racing
Send a message via Skype™ to Hysucat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Very good question - The reason for the postponement was that a large number of people backed out at the last minute, if the reasons for that are addressed I believe it could go ahead. If I was building a boat (and I did) I would build it for the 2013 Cowes Monte Carlo Venture Cup and enter that - they are promising a race every 2 years and they will have the same classes and the Round Britain race.

Happy to have a chat - 07836 268747 or email me at cookee@bananasharkracing.com
Thanks Cookee, we will be in touch. Will look into the Cowes Monte Carlo race as an alternative.

What were the reasons for so many people backing out of the RB12 race ?
Old 23 May 2012, 12:21   #43

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysucat View Post
Thanks Cookee, we will be in touch. Will look into the Cowes Monte Carlo race as an alternative.

What were the reasons for so many people backing out of the RB12 race ?
It depends on who you talk to - my opinion is:

Mostly a lack of full communication with the entrants, the RB12 team operated on a need to know basis as opposed to Mile Lloyd who tells everybody everything - it seems that racers like to know what's going on at every stage and what they're going to get for £12.50 per HP! I believe that the race itself was as well organised as any other but the entrants just lost faith in the event taking place and pulled out when they were asked for the full entry fee.

Racers are a bit like sheep and tend to enter events that they know will be well supported, the list of entrants on the website was quite optimistic with several names on there that had not even started to build a boat two months before the start.

For the same reasons I believe that there is a much better chance of the Monte Carlo event going ahead - by far! We will be there
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2012, 15:03   #44

Quote:
It depends on who you talk to - my opinion is:

Mostly a lack of full communication with the entrants, the RB12 team operated on a need to know basis as opposed to Mile Lloyd who tells everybody everything - it seems that racers like to know what's going on at every stage and what they're going to get for £12.50 per HP! I believe that the race itself was as well organised as any other but the entrants just lost faith in the event taking place and pulled out when they were asked for the full entry fee.

Racers are a bit like sheep and tend to enter events that they know will be well supported, the list of entrants on the website was quite optimistic with several names on there that had not even started to build a boat two months before the start.

For the same reasons I believe that there is a much better chance of the Monte Carlo event going ahead - by far! We will be there
Aah, now I see. Baaaaa ! Brrrrrrrrm !

I would like to ask if you would consider a few design changes to the banana you pilot, maybe add a tow hitch so some of the slower competitors can get an extra burst of speed.
Old 24 May 2012, 07:01   #45

Quote:
Aah, now I see. Baaaaa ! Brrrrrrrrm !

I would like to ask if you would consider a few design changes to the banana you pilot, maybe add a tow hitch so some of the slower competitors can get an extra burst of speed.
Well we're in the smallest race boat class, so we're not as fast as you might think, of course we do build them with other bigger power!

By the way I think if you're thinking of entering a Hysucat you might want to check the rules as I think your hull form fits under the catamaran rules that are generally not allowed, having said that stabilised monohulls were going to race in RB12 - not sure about CMC though?
Old 25 May 2012, 08:23   #46

Quote:
Well we're in the smallest race boat class, so we're not as fast as you might think, of course we do build them with other bigger power!

By the way I think if you're thinking of entering a Hysucat you might want to check the rules as I think your hull form fits under the catamaran rules that are generally not allowed, having said that stabilised monohulls were going to race in RB12 - not sure about CMC though?
Thank you for the heads up, will go have a look at the rules and see if there is a place for us. Alternatively we will just run in front of the pack and act as safety boat.
Old 25 May 2012, 10:35   #47

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Run in front as a Safety Boat? Reminds me of Round Britain 1992 when one of the teams asked if they could have the trophy "Pre Engraved" with their details on it becuase they were going to win the race. Their boat didnt leave Holyhead that day as it was split in two! Anyone who thinks that the CMC is going to be easy is in for a shock. To win you have to finish. Alan P
Old 25 May 2012, 12:12   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
Run in front as a Safety Boat? Reminds me of Round Britain 1992 when one of the teams asked if they could have the trophy "Pre Engraved" with their details on it becuase they were going to win the race. Their boat didnt leave Holyhead that day as it was split in two! Anyone who thinks that the CMC is going to be easy is in for a shock. To win you have to finish. Alan P
I took the smiley to suggest that he was having a laugh .............. I think it unlikely that a Hyscucat would be eligible to be honest but it's worth asking the question.
Old 25 May 2012, 16:49   #49

Quote:
I took the smiley to suggest that he was having a laugh .............. I think it unlikely that a Hyscucat would be eligible to be honest but it's worth asking the question.
I have only read the regulations for RB12, will look into the CMC rules soon.

I am just joking about running out front. If they won't let us compete then maybe they will at least let us run with the big dogs for an honourable mention in the footnotes.

There are no serious competition in Sefrica so we have been reduced to drag racing the Fabio Buzi boats the government bought with a small 6.5 RIB.

Bear Grills was not happy when we overtook him in Cowes with camera crew onboard. I'll read the rules and try to find some money to built a boat, that is all I can do.
Old 25 May 2012, 16:55   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
Point taken ... and we have had some spectacular exits. Broke an engine of the transom and it came overhead and lead the race for a few milliseconds.
Old 25 May 2012, 19:19   #51

Seems I would be at the mercy of the race organisers :

MONOHULL BOATS - UIM 1200.3.3

In the Spirit of Offshore Endurance Racing, all competing craft must be Monohull or stabilized Mono Hull unless otherwise agreed by the race organizer.
Old 26 May 2012, 08:24   #52

Quote:
Seems I would be at the mercy of the race organisers :

MONOHULL BOATS - UIM 1200.3.3

In the Spirit of Offshore Endurance Racing, all competing craft must be Monohull or stabilized Mono Hull unless otherwise agreed by the race organizer.
They are having some "Cruisers" following the event round - looks like that would be your only choice? Still quite an adventure and you would be part of it all.
Old 26 May 2012, 10:05   #53

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysucat

I have only read the regulations for RB12, will look into the CMC rules soon.

I am just joking about running out front. If they won't let us compete then maybe they will at least let us run with the big dogs for an honourable mention in the footnotes.

There are no serious competition in Sefrica so we have been reduced to drag racing the Fabio Buzi boats the government bought with a small 6.5 RIB.

Bear Grills was not happy when we overtook him in Cowes with camera crew onboard. I'll read the rules and try to find some money to built a boat, that is all I can do.
You talk as if speed will get you round Britain. It won't. Only a solid reliable boat will do that
Old 28 May 2012, 09:59   #54

Quote:
They are having some "Cruisers" following the event round - looks like that would be your only choice? Still quite an adventure and you would be part of it all.
If would be nice, but it won't be the same. Got an e-mail back from Mike Lloyd giving me the bad news .... monohulls only.

I am planning an economy run from Cowes to Morocco to test some engines later in the year if anybody wants to come along. Will put out the details.
Old 28 May 2012, 10:07   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
You talk as if speed will get you round Britain. It won't. Only a solid reliable boat will do that
Hi Biffer, I agree 100% with you ..... but once the boat is built and the engines are tested then it is in the hands of the gods.

A bit of common sense will also go very far, but some days everything will go wrong.

Don't there is much chance of me getting an entry for the RB14 race either , so this will remain as a "monohull club" event.
Old 08 September 2013, 12:30   #56

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Is there going to be an RB14?
Old 08 September 2013, 18:58   #57

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Perhaps we could organise this as the monster of all ribnet cruises, Andre?

I tried to organise this for 2013 for myself but for various reasons it didn't work out (gutted). I'm hopeful to do it 2014. Just a leisure cruise, probably over 8 legs plus perhaps a weather day or two.

My schedule was based loosely on Brian's route which he's successfully done twice - once with magellan as company.
Old 08 September 2013, 19:25   #58

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

I tried to organise this for 2013 for myself but for various reasons it didn't work out (gutted). I'm hopeful to do it 2014. Just a leisure cruise, probably over 8 legs plus perhaps a weather day or two.

My schedule was based loosely on Brian's route which he's successfully done twice - once with magellan as company.
If this were in early/mid June I would be up for it!

As long as I can persude Mrs Tonto to let me Yeah I know who is the boss of the house, and she does remind me from time to time!

My rib has done this once before when it was new for OPS Rigid Lion, and would like to see if she still has it, but as a challenge, NOT a race!
Old 08 September 2013, 19:36   #59

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

Hi Daniel

I did not have a cruise in mind and also was not thinking of myself as a participant . We have the craft the crew and the sponsors just need an event and RB14 would be the right thing if it was still on.
Old 08 September 2013, 20:50   #60

Town: Surrey
Length: 9m +
I have not heard of a RB 2014 race taking place although the Venture cup is planned to run Summer 2014 (London to Monte-Carlo).