Old 04 July 2008, 22:15   #161

Town: Great Horwood
Length: no boat
Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao! View Post
Sorry so many of you were disappointed with lack of info on the RB site, I make no apologies but it was a pretty tough task on my own.

Perhaps if there is an event similar in the future - you could email / call the webmaster and offer your assistance?

Believe it or not I would have loved some help.
I worded that incorrectly, "I apologise to all for lack of info etc."

Had John Kennett given me a email / call, I would have loved to have had his support and then given him the ftp details to the site to post news etc.

Having not met John before to my knowledge, I didn't have his cell phone number to call.

I will sit in my office next time to see the experts show me the way it's done correctly.
Old 04 July 2008, 22:36   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Ciao! I don't think it was meant as a personal criticism of the person doing the work, but rather of a slightly inward looking approach which the organisers took (the quote JK highighted is exemplary of this) - where keeping the public or media well appraised was not as important as I think it should be for a major event of this significance.

However, if you were struggling then a quick post here, on Boatmad or on the RB forums would probably have got you the offers of help you wanted. If you don't ask you don't get. I am sure if an unknown entity just volunteered their help it would either cause offence ("is my contribution not good enough") or suspicion ("who is this random person - and how much damage are they going to do to my site").
Points taken on above - but not one person volunteered to help by way of email or phone call - I would have been very happy for their input.
As for the Mike Lloyd statement on the front page - lets move on swiftly!
Old 05 July 2008, 06:33   #163
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao! View Post
Having not met John before to my knowledge, I didn't have his cell phone number to call.
I'm quite easy to contact - you'll often find me here!

Anyway, the job's done now. Until the next one . . .

John
Old 08 July 2008, 11:04   #164
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Just had this in the inbox which was copied to a number of the media... regarding Greg Marsden's Team Pulsar Vampire. Clearly, the RB08 management need to sort this one out..

John,
Firstly let me congratulate you on the excellent contribution you have made to the great success that was RB08.

It was a fantastic epic slog to get this race to completion for both the crews taking part and the Race organisers trying to do everything on a voluntary basis and with little or no resources.

Team Pulsar salutes you.

The unfortunate matter of the error being made in awarding the fabulous Moore Family trophy how ever still needs a resolution.
I know that this trophy was awarded by your Family to salute the smaller competitor, the one facing the greatest challenges to get around Britain with limited resources and of course competing above his or her class.

In coming 20th overall in the race Team Pulsar’s Vampire was a deserving winner of your trophy only to have it awarded in error on the night to a fellow competitor in RB4 Mud, Swell & Beers.
In coming 24th Team Pulsars Wolf would have been next in line, and of course in coming 25th The Somertons Mud, Swell & Beers came a deserving 3rd in this trophy competition.

It is important to understand the dynamics of the race and in particular the relationship that both Team Pulsars boats Vampire and Wolf, and Mud, Swell & Beers had.

We were all running Suzuki engines and as such we formed an unlikely alliance through the support of Suzuki Marine UK.

Team Pulsar helped to sponsor the supply of 2 vans which enabled Suzuki to offer us all support and keep our engines going.
We offered support to Mud, Swell & Beers on numerous occasions including welding their A Frame and keeping them in the race after only the first leg.
They had tried for 12 hours after the finish in Plymouth to get a stainless steel welder to repair their A Frame, and had all but given up on the hope of going on.
It was fortunate that we happened to have our own welding equipment with us and were able to keep them going.

On another day we offered assistance by lending them a trailer to lift their boat for repairs.
We also formed a great relationship with the Somerton’s as a group and as a family. We had many days where we diced with them at sea racing to within 1 minute on 2 occasions.

It is obviously something quite difficult to deal with but it is important that you understand that I believe the Somerton’s will in the end understand an error has been made and will be happy to have the trophy awarded to Team Pulsars Vampire.
On the night of the awards they asked for the mistake to be rectified but were told the decision was final.

As owner/chief sponsor I would encourage you to come up with a solution that satisfies all concerned.

Vampire and its crew worked hard during the race pushing boat and man to the limit, they deserve to have their efforts recognised and have this mistake rectified.

I trust that you will be able to find a suitable solution.

Regards,

Justin Mc Inerney.
Pulsar direct Ltd.
Unit 1 Westgate Business Park,
Lehanaghmore,
Togher,
Cork,
Ireland.

Following on from Justin’s email, are we any closer to getting a resolution on this issue? Obviously it was an unintentional error on the evening and although an unfortunate mistake, mistakes do happen. As stated previously it was gracious of John Moore to come forward and take responsibility for the mistake.

‘Re Mud Swell & Beers / Vampire - totally my fault. I screwed up - It was my family trophy and I got it wrong’ -

John Moore

Obviously this issue is of great importance to me personally, but it also has a direct bearing and impact on my lead sponsor (Pulsar-Racing, as detailed in Justin’s Email) and my stakeholders (as you know I am a Raymarine Ambassador and have close connections with Suzuki and Ullman Dynamics as well as other companies.) All these companies are aware of the final results and are watching with keen interest.

On a further note the winning of the Moore family trophy and the completion of the full course by ‘Vampire’ provides addition provenance to the vessel and crew, this is especially important when trying to secure sponsorship or backing for future events, therefore this issue has an inherent capital value attached. Ultimately where money and reputations are involved one becomes very serious and any dispute requires swift reconciliation as it will unfortunately not go away. As you know we have generated some significant positive PR already and would hope that any future PR we generate remains positive.

Finally, as mentioned previously the MSB crew knew on the night the trophy was presented in error and did try and rectify the error on the night, but to no avail. I believe it would be wholly un-sportsman like for the Committee to not resolve the issue. I also notice there is no mention still of ‘Vampire’ on the results / trophy page in terms of the new trophy awarded to Vampire for it’s circumnavigation or the disputed Moore trophy. I would ask in the interim that MSB is removed until the situation is resolved.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Major Greg Marsden MInstRE
Lead Skipper ‘Vampire’
Pulsar Racing
Old 09 July 2008, 23:05   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm View Post
Just had this in the inbox which was copied to a number of the media... regarding Greg Marsden's Team Pulsar Vampire. Clearly, the RB08 management need to sort this one out..

John,
Firstly let me congratulate you on the excellent contribution you have made to the great success that was RB08.

It was a fantastic epic slog to get this race to completion for both the crews taking part and the Race organisers trying to do everything on a voluntary basis and with little or no resources.

Team Pulsar salutes you.

The unfortunate matter of the error being made in awarding the fabulous Moore Family trophy how ever still needs a resolution.
I know that this trophy was awarded by your Family to salute the smaller competitor, the one facing the greatest challenges to get around Britain with limited resources and of course competing above his or her class.

In coming 20th overall in the race Team Pulsar’s Vampire was a deserving winner of your trophy only to have it awarded in error on the night to a fellow competitor in RB4 Mud, Swell & Beers.
In coming 24th Team Pulsars Wolf would have been next in line, and of course in coming 25th The Somertons Mud, Swell & Beers came a deserving 3rd in this trophy competition.

It is important to understand the dynamics of the race and in particular the relationship that both Team Pulsars boats Vampire and Wolf, and Mud, Swell & Beers had.

We were all running Suzuki engines and as such we formed an unlikely alliance through the support of Suzuki Marine UK.

Team Pulsar helped to sponsor the supply of 2 vans which enabled Suzuki to offer us all support and keep our engines going.
We offered support to Mud, Swell & Beers on numerous occasions including welding their A Frame and keeping them in the race after only the first leg.
They had tried for 12 hours after the finish in Plymouth to get a stainless steel welder to repair their A Frame, and had all but given up on the hope of going on.
It was fortunate that we happened to have our own welding equipment with us and were able to keep them going.

On another day we offered assistance by lending them a trailer to lift their boat for repairs.
We also formed a great relationship with the Somerton’s as a group and as a family. We had many days where we diced with them at sea racing to within 1 minute on 2 occasions.

It is obviously something quite difficult to deal with but it is important that you understand that I believe the Somerton’s will in the end understand an error has been made and will be happy to have the trophy awarded to Team Pulsars Vampire.
On the night of the awards they asked for the mistake to be rectified but were told the decision was final.

As owner/chief sponsor I would encourage you to come up with a solution that satisfies all concerned.

Vampire and its crew worked hard during the race pushing boat and man to the limit, they deserve to have their efforts recognised and have this mistake rectified.

I trust that you will be able to find a suitable solution.

Regards,

Justin Mc Inerney.
Pulsar direct Ltd.
Unit 1 Westgate Business Park,
Lehanaghmore,
Togher,
Cork,
Ireland.

Following on from Justin’s email, are we any closer to getting a resolution on this issue? Obviously it was an unintentional error on the evening and although an unfortunate mistake, mistakes do happen. As stated previously it was gracious of John Moore to come forward and take responsibility for the mistake.

‘Re Mud Swell & Beers / Vampire - totally my fault. I screwed up - It was my family trophy and I got it wrong’ -

John Moore

Obviously this issue is of great importance to me personally, but it also has a direct bearing and impact on my lead sponsor (Pulsar-Racing, as detailed in Justin’s Email) and my stakeholders (as you know I am a Raymarine Ambassador and have close connections with Suzuki and Ullman Dynamics as well as other companies.) All these companies are aware of the final results and are watching with keen interest.

On a further note the winning of the Moore family trophy and the completion of the full course by ‘Vampire’ provides addition provenance to the vessel and crew, this is especially important when trying to secure sponsorship or backing for future events, therefore this issue has an inherent capital value attached. Ultimately where money and reputations are involved one becomes very serious and any dispute requires swift reconciliation as it will unfortunately not go away. As you know we have generated some significant positive PR already and would hope that any future PR we generate remains positive.

Finally, as mentioned previously the MSB crew knew on the night the trophy was presented in error and did try and rectify the error on the night, but to no avail. I believe it would be wholly un-sportsman like for the Committee to not resolve the issue. I also notice there is no mention still of ‘Vampire’ on the results / trophy page in terms of the new trophy awarded to Vampire for it’s circumnavigation or the disputed Moore trophy. I would ask in the interim that MSB is removed until the situation is resolved.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Major Greg Marsden MInstRE
Lead Skipper ‘Vampire’
Pulsar Racing
I have emailed the parties involved this evening.