Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 29 July 2013, 05:58   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Isle of Man
Town: Douglas
Boat name: Dauntless
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 74
Rough Valuation?

I bought my RIB about a month ago. Apart from a few niggles most of which are sorted now (or due to be this week!) I like to think I got a pretty good deal.

I was wondering (mainly out of interest...but also in case I get more serious and fancy upgrading over the next few years ) what the general consensus on value would be. i.e what would you pay?

It's a Valiant V-520, I can't be sure but I think she was built around the year 2000. Very good nick, no chips on the hull and the tubes (I believe to be original) are flawless (a little dirty but I'm cleaning them up)

There are a few hairline cracks around the edges of the jockey seats.

The engine is a 60HP Mariner 2-stroke I believe to be from around 2000 also. I'm unsure of hours but it shows little use.

Garmin GPS (The small one, but new) VHF, nav lights on a-frame. Trailer is functional but probably only has a few seasons left before it's either replaced or has a major overhaul.

I think a lack of paperwork / knowledge from the original owner has gone some way to reduce the value but after having it all checked out everything certainly seems sound with it.

Any ideas? I don't want to say what I paid yet so I don't taint the result
__________________

__________________
TheKommandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2013, 06:10   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,041
The year should be the last 2 numbers of the serial number on the transom
__________________

__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2013, 06:48   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Isle of Man
Town: Douglas
Boat name: Dauntless
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
The year should be the last 2 numbers of the serial number on the transom
Cheers I'll have a look.

I've got a picture of the only plate I could find but not much in the way of a serial number.

The only thing I can see is 3V11 but I can't see that being the serial...and I can't see it being a 2011. It's in good nick but not that good!
__________________
TheKommandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2013, 06:58   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,041
The rib should have a serial number and the engine too, you can find the age of your package from both these numbers
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2013, 12:51   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 142
For me valuing boats is a difficult one due to all the variables. I have found price is often determined by time of year, how desperate someone is to sell, whether they are paying mooring fees etc and how much they think its worth, which often appears lots more than others do. Often you can see two very similar boats with apparently unexplainable differences in price. I have usually lost money,even in circumstances I thought I was going to make a little profit, because I has bought a bargain. many seem to start high and lower the price until they get a bite. it's about not trying to loose too much. A boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I guess being on the IOM you may have a bit more of a captive audience and get a better price?
__________________
Sunstreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2013, 13:39   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Isle of Man
Town: Douglas
Boat name: Dauntless
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker View Post
For me valuing boats is a difficult one due to all the variables. I have found price is often determined by time of year, how desperate someone is to sell, whether they are paying mooring fees etc and how much they think its worth, which often appears lots more than others do. Often you can see two very similar boats with apparently unexplainable differences in price. I have usually lost money,even in circumstances I thought I was going to make a little profit, because I has bought a bargain. many seem to start high and lower the price until they get a bite. it's about not trying to loose too much. A boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I guess being on the IOM you may have a bit more of a captive audience and get a better price?
I know exactly what you mean actually. There's one for sale at the moment over here, personally I would have thought it would be up for £15k+ but they're advertising for £11.5k. (If I had the money it would be mine!)

I'll get a bit more information and hopefully I can get a bit more of an idea based on age etc.
__________________
TheKommandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 04:28   #7
Trade member
 
Dry Run's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 748
RIBase
A picture would help!

Also, do you have any paperwork at all? That does effect the the price / ease of selling.
__________________
You get what you settle for!
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 04:42   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Isle of Man
Town: Douglas
Boat name: Dauntless
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
A picture would help!

Also, do you have any paperwork at all? That does effect the the price / ease of selling.
Pictures below, no paperwork unfortunately. I was a bit over excited and it seemed like a good deal at the time so my 12 year old self took over...as usual





__________________
TheKommandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 04:59   #9
Trade member
 
Dry Run's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 748
RIBase
I would see it at £5,500 - £6,000 (but I don't want to buy it - no offence).
__________________
You get what you settle for!
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 05:09   #10
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,334
RIBase
Those are not valiant seats. the tank at the rear is valiant(73 ltr) someone has changed the seats but not bothered to re-install the fuel tank or get a a fuel tank to suit. The tubes are pVC and appear to have seen pleanty of sun light a re-tube my not be that far away. If that DR 520 handles like my DR 490 that weight of the fuel tank at the rear is not a good thing.

TSM
__________________
two stroke mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 07:02   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,041
It could have been changed from a leisure set up with a bench seat?
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 07:06   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Isle of Man
Town: Douglas
Boat name: Dauntless
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
I would see it at £5,500 - £6,000 (but I don't want to buy it - no offence).
Ha ha, cheers, no problem I don't want to sell it yet! That's promising though because I paid less than that.
__________________
TheKommandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 07:09   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Isle of Man
Town: Douglas
Boat name: Dauntless
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Those are not valiant seats. the tank at the rear is valiant(73 ltr) someone has changed the seats but not bothered to re-install the fuel tank or get a a fuel tank to suit. The tubes are pVC and appear to have seen pleanty of sun light a re-tube my not be that far away. If that DR 520 handles like my DR 490 that weight of the fuel tank at the rear is not a good thing.

TSM
Cheers, interesting about the seats. I did wonder about the fuel tank as it is just sort of plonked at the back.

So you reckon originally it might have had a bench in the back?

I am going to give the tubes a good clean and polish and see what they come up like. They hold air well, not had to use the pump at all in 4 weeks of ownership. You're right though, they are showing signs of age.
__________________
TheKommandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 17:25   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,554
To give your tubes any hope of surviving you should use some fenders when tying up. Too many people think that because their tubes are squdgy coming alongsize a concrete wall like that with no protection is OK.
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2013, 03:28   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Isle of Man
Town: Douglas
Boat name: Dauntless
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
To give your tubes any hope of surviving you should use some fenders when tying up. Too many people think that because their tubes are squdgy coming alongsize a concrete wall like that with no protection is OK.
Ta, never really thought about getting fenders for it.

I have always been conscious of RIBs rubbing against walls, wouldn't have done that had it not been a totally flat day and there was no movement.
__________________
TheKommandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2013, 05:31   #16
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,334
RIBase
That rib probably came with a valiant double jockey console instead of the current seating arrangement. The 73 lt tank that is placed to the rear of the boat was probably housed witin that valiant double jockey console.

I suspect that the vailant seating was removed becaused it is shite if you are more than 4 foot tall. The current seating arrangement is much better than the original and is very similar to the new seating arrangement in my rib (DR490). That fuel tank arrangement would drive me mad though

TSM
__________________
two stroke mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2013, 05:33   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Isle of Man
Town: Douglas
Boat name: Dauntless
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
That rib probably came with a valiant double jockey console instead of the current seating arrangement. The 73 lt tank that is placed to the rear of the boat was probably housed witin that valiant double jockey console.

I suspect that the vailant seating was removed becaused it is shite if you are more than 4 foot tall. The current seating arrangement is much better than the original and is very similar to the new seating arrangement in my rib (DR490). That fuel tank arrangement would drive me mad though

TSM
I have to say having looked at other Valiants I wouldn't be a fan of the standard seating. I hadn't even really noticed it until mentioned on here.

Also..I wasn't too bothered about the fuel tank until now! I'm trying to figure out how to change it

It would be nice to recover a bit of space at the back.
__________________

__________________
TheKommandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.