Old 01 March 2004, 17:03   #1

Town: Portishead
Righting a capsized RIB

Can anyone point me to any internet resources on righting a capsized RIB?

I am happy with the theory, but have to deliver this to a bunch of relative newcomers to RIBbing, and as I can't draw I'd really like to find some noddy diagrams I can use!!

Many thanks,

Adam
Old 01 March 2004, 19:53   #2

Anyone?? 58 views and no replies??

OK. Lets move the goalposts a bit.... Has anyone here ever capsized a RIB? Lets hear some war stories....
Old 01 March 2004, 21:09   #3

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
I guess you mean righting and not selfrighting cos the RNLI could tell you a lot about selfrighting

well I know a guy who actually had to right a 4.5 mtr rib in the mid atlantic. His name is Arek Pawelek from Poland and you will find his details in the members list. His story appeared in the Rib International magazine. I know this cos I did the translation. I suggest you locate that story , contact Arek and you will have first hand experience. Mind you this was a rib but modified to have a keel so this makes it even more difficult to right. Anyway he did it and survived to tell the tale.

Andre

ps you could also go onto Yahoo and do a search for "Arek Pawelek" and you will come up with some information about him and that voyage
Old 01 March 2004, 21:49   #4

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Well, I suppose it depends how big it is....

I have rehearsed this several times in Bristol Docks with the Pride of Bristol Tender. This is about 4-5m, no console or seating, picture attached.

The way to right it if it has flipped is as follows.

If there are any other people in the water get them into a group and hold onto the bow. Then they will be out of the way!

Take the bow rope, take it half way down one side and fead it through the handholds on the tube. - Throw the rope over the upturned hull

Climb ontop of the hull.

Take the rope and stand on the opposite tube to where the rope is attached - Lean back and the rib will flip over.

This works!! - I've done it!!

With a bigger rib, then stand more people on the side to pull on the rope.

If you can't flip it, get all people out of the water and ontop of the hull and await rescue! - better than in the water.

Cheers
Jools

ps - I'm in Portishead too!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rib.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	4513  
Old 02 March 2004, 07:10   #5

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5.85m
Engine: Mariner 115hp 4 stroke running on LPG
Ive done it lots of times, we have to do it at work to test engines to make sure they start again. Its very easy. I would put some pictures of it on but i dont know how to!!
Old 02 March 2004, 08:45   #6

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
If youve got some pictures on your computer then go to the attach file box below where you would write the text, click browse and find the file on your computer.

Make sure its saved as a .gif .jpg or .png file though.

Id be quite interested to see pics of someone righting a rib by hand. Done it a few times with a 4m inflatable but is it possible with something like a 5m rib?
Old 02 March 2004, 09:27   #7

It can be done! We are doing an exercise on Sunday, so I'll make sure I get some photos and post them up here!

Obviously much easier with a self righting bag... but perhaps a scarier experience!
Old 02 March 2004, 10:47   #8

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Not a capsize but maybe interesting all the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pacdrop.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	4515  
Old 02 March 2004, 11:15   #9

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Heavens forbid, however.......

as a once keen dinghy sailor (Lasers / Mirror / GP 14's / Optimists, Escapes)etc. I've capsized many times. If this were to happen in my RIB apart from getting on the VHF (handheld waterproof) I'd attempt to right myself as follows.

1. Position myself at the bow and take hold of the bow line which would automatically bring the nose into the wind and sea.

2. Run the bow line to what I'd determine at the center of the boat making it fast to either a grab handle / A frame or other secure object.

3. Deflate the tubes on whichever side of the boat I was hoping to right her from, i'e whichever side was going to be immersed as she flipped over. Deflation would assist with the boat digging in !

4. Climb atop of the upturned hull with heaving line in hand and as with a dinghy use ones weight (and additional crew if avalible) to heave her over.

However, just attempting this with one of the aforementioned small/light and balanced craft with a keel / daggerboard to stand on is task enough on a calm day. Somehow I fear given the circumstances that may flip a rib, I doubt whether I'd manage to get mine back over.

Hence, quality safety gear, preperation and the awarness of what could happen are key to surviving any such events.
Old 02 March 2004, 22:05   #10

Adam where are you doing your excersise on Sunday? Down in Portishead Marina?

Jools (on the Vale!)
Old 03 March 2004, 08:55   #11

Jools... We will inded be at the marina. We used to do a quick run through in the marina in the morning, then go out into the channel in the afternoon....

We only did it the once... The amount of fine sediment the Severn is so famous for cancelled out the effect of the luminescence & gave zero (and I mean ABSOULUTELY zero) vis. Plus we capsized just off the lifeboat slipway at Sugarloaf Beach & ended up past Redcliffe Bay! So now we just stick to the Marina!

Fingers crossed for some warmer weather than we have had of late!

Where do you keep "Panther"? I don't believe I've seen her out in the Severn???
Old 04 March 2004, 22:21   #12

I keep Panther all tucked up nice and warm inside a farmers barn!!

Being on a trailer I than take it all over the place and have various runs.

Last year we put her in at Portishead and went up to the Bristol harbour regatta, returning from Bristol at night - which was fun! - and then had a trip out under the bridges to the swellies on the Sunday.

Hope to get her our again soon!

Jools
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clifton.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	4527  
Old 04 March 2004, 22:24   #13

may be hard to see in the pic - but this is at the swellies, and the water is just bubbling all around - very strange up-currents of sand and mud!

You can also see the Severn Bridge, and further back the Second Severn Crossing

Jools
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swellies.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	4528  
Old 16 March 2004, 14:54   #14

I managed to get dome photos taken of the capsize exercise... I'll post them up here if people are interested...
Old 16 March 2004, 15:54   #15

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
MMSI: Who?
Very interested Adam.

Post away !!
Old 16 March 2004, 22:42   #16

Town: Pwllheli
Post away!

I'm very interested in seeing pics of a capsize!!
It could be very useful in the future!!

Ian J
Old 24 March 2004, 20:12   #17

Apologies to all.... I am still waiting for the photos. I'll post them asap.

In the meantime, here is a copy of the handout I gave the crew to accompany the drills.

Capsize Drills

WHY DO I NEED TO KNOW THIS?

Capsizing a RIB will only occur in adverse weather conditions, or if a RIB is being used irresponsibly. The likelihood of ever being involved in a RIB capsize is minimal, but you need to be prepared for getting yourself out of the situation if it arises. The more prepared you are to correct the capsize, the better chance you have of surviving. Should you be involved in a capsize, you will be in shock, you may be injured, you may have colleagues or friends who are injured, and you will be in the water and getting cold. Knowing what steps to take next could make the difference between life and death! Equally, your actions in helping a casualty who has capsized could make the difference between saving a life or recovering bodies.

ACTIONS TO TAKE AFTER A CAPSIZE – NO SELF RIGHTING CAPABILITY

1) Initial Actions

a) Composure: Take a few seconds to compose yourself!
b) Number off: Starting at Number 1, all number off until all crew are accounted for. Missing numbers could indicate an unconscious crewman, or one trapped under the water. Or a shocked crewman.
2) Re-group and prepare for recovery

a) Get underneath the boat. This is the safest & warmest place to be. You will also get the natural light of the luminescence.
b) Rig up your self-righting line. Tie a line along the length of the boat from the bow to an aft davit or lifting eye to one side of the boat

3) Recover the capsize

a) Leave one person under the rib, who should lie along the side of the PIVOT sponson
b) All other crew should get on top of the RIB and line up along the PIVOT sponson
c) Take hold of the line that is running along the sponson to be lifted
d) Lean back & right the boat

4) The future

a) Once back in the righted RIB, take stock of your position. Unless your engines have PIRS (Post Immersion Restart System) capability, you may well not get going again!
b) Start to survive. Consider: Conserving body warmth; making others aware of your predicament; Taking proactive steps to ensure survival.

Feedback (+ve or -ve) most definatley welcome.... we are all still learning all the time!
Old 24 March 2004, 21:08   #18

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Adam,

No chance!!!!!

OK your drill is written with the best possible motives, but real scenarios just don't happen like that.

Was it here (on this thread?) that someone wrote that RNLI or MCA tests showed that in reality there's very little air trapped under a capsized RIB.

If RIB capsizes, then there's probably a helluva sea running... so the upside down thing will be bobbing around like a wild thing - so I would never advise anyone to go under the inverted hull (except to extract someone) because...
think of all those s-steel back rests inverted - you would risk knocking yourself/crew unconscious. Stay out and think about getting help.

Here's my suggestion - keep a h/h VHF attached to you, and work out a way of keeping mini-flares attached to you as well. This is a situation where you would need outside help. If you think you would be able to recover from it yourself you are naive and will die. It's that simple.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2004, 21:14   #19

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
If you think you would be able to recover from it yourself you are naive and will die. It's that simple.
To put it bluntly......

How big is this boat that you were righting?
Old 25 March 2004, 08:57   #20

Even in flat conditions I would not have thought that putting all the crew under the upturned boat would be the best place to be.

On my Sea Survival Course I did a few years ago, the number 1 tip was get out of the water. Therefore I would have thought the best place to be would be for the crew to climb onto the upturned hull of the boat. Then form a huddle and try and keep warm.

From this position you would also be able to see any other boats and wave shout etc - not much chance of being seen if your underneath!!

Cheers
Jools