Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quoted from lester McCarthy

"Report by Dr. C.J. Brooks - Sea Survival Systems

www.spatiald.wpafb.af.mil/HFM/MP-086-15.pdf

This is worth a read reference capsizing and self-righting gear fitted to Ribs."

Worth reading if you've not done so already, they quote that there is very little air gap left in the upturned hull as Richard B pointed out !! they also say that the survival suits hinder escape from the upturned hull as the trapped air fills the legs and holds the lower torso and legs inside the upturned hull pinning the body to the sponson !!

But in conclusion they also state that there is still very little recorded information about inverting a FRB to be able to suggest at this time accurate methods for escape.
Which means in plain English if you turn it over your pretty f**ked !!
Old 25 March 2004, 11:51   #22

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
MMMMM

Quote:
Capsizing a RIB will only occur in adverse weather conditions, or if a RIB is being used irresponsibly.
So your suggesting that the Whitstable RNLI crew that turned there altantic over during a rescue two years ago when answering a mayday call were being irresponsable ?

In fact most recorded invertions were made by rescue craft !

Were they also irresponsable ?

Just being facetious
Old 25 March 2004, 13:37   #23
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I'm not sure about the Whitstable crew, but I've seen video of an RNLI RIB capsizing that certainly didn't look like it was driven sensibly!

John
Old 25 March 2004, 14:07   #24

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I read with interest the tests Dr. C.J. Brooks carried out and I think that they are flawed. They were using a modified helicopter crash simulator which is fine for simulating helicopter crashes but entirely wrong for simulating a RIB capsize. For a start it has a roof (yes I know Camel boats do) and the test was a static test. I think there are two types of capsize, roll and flip. With a roll the boat lands upside down still moving forwards, this would tend to wash everyone out of the RIB. With a flip, by the time the boat is vertical, gravity is taking over and people start falling out the back. So I think that I would be very unlikely to still be in the boat after the capsize.
Having said all that I am not going to put my theories to the test.
Old 25 March 2004, 14:28   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I read somewhere, about a study that was done on RNLI ribs fitted with the self-righting gear.
The number of times over "n" years, that the crew had to operate this kit, in anger, was....er.....zero.
As a result there was a movement towards/a decision taken, that this gear would no longer be fitted as standard on new-built craft, as it was not cost-justifiable.
Old 30 March 2004, 09:28   #26

Town: Portishead
Quote:
Originally posted by Bilge Rat
So your suggesting that the Whitstable RNLI crew that turned there altantic over during a rescue two years ago when answering a mayday call were being irresponsable ?

In fact most recorded invertions were made by rescue craft !

Were they also irresponsable ?

Facetious or not, I would suggest that the "Adverse weather conditions" would have been more likely to cause a capsize in this circumstance than recklessness.

You could take it a step futher and suggest that if a lifeboat was launched in dangerous conditions which lead to a capsize, the launch auothority was reckless in his decision to launch the lifeboat. I know the RNLI do a great job, but surely there must be times when it is impossible to launch an inshore LB without putting the lives of the crew at risk...