Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hartley
ok ok 1:0
Chris - You should not concede so easilly - technically speaking as the whole lot is rotating around the sun at aproximately 70,000mph all the engine parts are moving all the time
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2005, 20:25   #22

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by britemp
If buying a Ribeye 600 with a 115 Yam is a really bad idea for any reason please post otherwise I think I'm going to spend a bit of money I can't really afford soon!
If you want a sedate pottering about RIB then go ahead. If you want excitement and a huge inventory of electronic equipment in a superbly balanced, high powered, any-weather, extreme RIB then buy this one: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8631
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2005, 22:50   #23

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Chris - You should not concede so easilly - technically speaking as the whole lot is rotating around the sun at aproximately 70,000mph all the engine parts are moving all the time
very very true

mark...i take that back

so do we have any other nsu fans out there?
Old 24 September 2005, 03:24   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I don't reckon Ribeyes very much

I think they are aimed at punters and they are the Hyundai Coupe of the rib world!

I have always had to work hard for my money ( apart from the 10 years in IT) and I don't like buying a product that I think won't hold it's value in proportion to the competiton. I believe that to be one of Ribeyes shortcomings.

Before you buy your playtime I sugest you check out Boats and Outboards and see how many Ribeyes are for sale and for how long they have been for sale. I's be surprised if any have shifted and you could be in that position in a few years time.

A few years ago I had a real issue with the craftsmanship ( definitely not the right word) of Ribeyes laminators. It is possible that with the collapse of Prestige (S.A. laminating subcontractors) and the subsequent purchase by Ribeye that the QC has improved , but I would certainly advise getting somebody from Osmatech to go over my intended Hull with a meter and a skilled eye.

However I do like th hull design and think it is good in the water

It's no point me challenging your Decision without coming up with viable alternatives. So Solent Ribs ( I believe there is a Distributor on the Isle of Wight ) Coastline (from Hamble) I also think Leeways (IOW) boat represents good value and would be most certainly be built very well. XR ribs and Humber maybe but humbers have a rather disturbing way of creeping up from a good base price when you start to add things like seats

Secondhand I'd agree with RichardB and give Top Bananna a shufty it would be a vey decent boat with your Folks on and a very lively one with them off

Do Ribeye have PVCU tubes?

If However you already have bought your Ribeye the ignore what I have said and get out there and enjoy your ribbing!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 08:08   #25

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I think they are aimed at punters and they are the Hyundai Coupe of the rib world!
Don't know much about the Ribeye boats - but I used to own a V6 Hyundai Coupe - Great Car - Went like stink very well made - 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, loads of electronics as standard. unbelievable price - I did over 80,000 miles in mine from new before I traded it in and never has a single problem with it and loved driving every mile in it.

If any boat could claim to be as feature rich, high performing, reliable and as good value for money as one of those then I would snap it up like a shot - in fact I'm hoping that the Ribcraft I have ordered will live up to all of those attributes.
Old 24 September 2005, 13:24   #26

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
WHY DID YOU BUY THE rIBCRAFT?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2005, 17:01   #27

Quote:
WHY DID YOU BUY THE rIBCRAFT?
I ordered it about 5 weeks ago - I get delivery in 7 weeks (mid november).
Old 24 September 2005, 17:35   #28

Oops - i miss-read that - thought you said when - DOH!!!

WHY ?

Well the boat size was dictated to me by the length of space i have to store it.

So I went looking at the websites of all boat manufacturers I could find downloaded as much info as I could - and every time i found a boat i liked the look of I would check the forums (mainly RIBnet) to see what everyone else had to say about them - After looking at all the makes I pretty much came down to either Avon, Humber or Ribcraft.

It was these boats that seemed to be designed to do what I wanted to do in the boat. I was originally biased towards humber (as I already owned one of those and she was a very tough little boat). In the end I decided that it was going to be the Ribcradft or the Humber - Im not sure why I eliminated the Avon - it might sound silly but it was probably as much their web site that put me off than anyhting else. - both Humbers and Ribcrafts sites let you see alot more of the veraious options etc than the Avon site does.

So I got quotes from both companies for as identical boats as i could get - and they came out about the same for a humber ocean pro 5.5 and ther Ribcraft 5.85 so i basically compared pros and cons of each.

The Ribcraft won on these counts.

1. Better quality finish (I really like the fact they glass the console and seating to the deck rather than screws and sealer)
2. Tow Frame (humber dont do them)
3. 2 hours drive from my house instead of 7
4. Practically nothing bad has ever been said about Ribcrafts on RIBnet or in conversation

So I then went to have a look round the factory and when I saw the love and care going into making those boats it made my mind up...
Old 24 September 2005, 19:27   #29

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_deezy
aha Chris! an NSU? now your showing your age

'orrid little cars with 'orrid little engines

although you could degrease them in the kitchen sink, ask my ex-wife
C'mon Stan, An touch of the NSU a dose of the "Itchy Fannies"!
Old 24 September 2005, 20:45   #30

Town: Cowes
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
If you want a sedate pottering about RIB then go ahead.
Actually that's exactly what i want!

I pottered along at 35 knots in the Ribeye in some lumpy seas and considered it sufficient for a first RIB to be used mainly for transport around the Solent, rather than for the odd weekend blast!

Maybe my second RIB will have a couple of 275 Verados on the back, but in the meantime I intend to learn to swim. . . . . .

The RIB in the ad is no good at all - yucky colours and the seats are all wrong!
Old 24 September 2005, 20:58   #31

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I found the 5.5m Ribeye pretty good on my course - it handled well and landed quite softly - was very wet but then they were BIG waves!!!

The instructor has had no real trouble with the boat - still looks like new after 2 yrs hard use - he said on probs were the electrics - wiring was a joke he said!!!
Old 24 September 2005, 21:00   #32

Quote:

I have always had to work hard for my money ( apart from the 10 years in IT) and I don't like buying a product that I think won't hold it's value in proportion to the competiton. I believe that to be one of Ribeyes shortcomings.
You might be right about the Hyundai bit, but that sounds about right for a first boat - I didn't pass my driving test in a Ferrari!

I also work hard for my money but as with cars, I won't buy a dull Merc for the resale value when I really want an Alfa Romeo!

Build quality seemed good to me compared with the others i looked at. Asked Solent Ribs for a quote 2 weeks ago and am still waiting - they must have all the customers they need!

As I say, I'm certainly no expert and I will keep looking before i buy, but at the moment my criteria is most closely filled by the Ribeye, not least of which is that I only have to paddle a 100 yards across the medina from my pontoon to the dealer when it breaks!
Old 24 September 2005, 21:06   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I found the 5.5m Ribeye pretty good on my course - it handled well and landed quite softly - was very wet but then they were BIG waves!!!

The instructor has had no real trouble with the boat - still looks like new after 2 yrs hard use - he said on probs were the electrics - wiring was a joke he said!!!
I've only tried 4 or 5 makes of RIB but the Ribeye definitely had the softest ride, accurate light steering and I really liked the Yam engine - V. smooth and quiet compared to the Opti and ETEC I tried. All the well used ones i see round the island seem to last better than most. If the electrickery is a problem the dealer is only a hundred yards away on the other side of the river, so he can come and pick it up, sort it out and paddle it back!
Old 24 September 2005, 21:20   #34

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Look in the gallery re powerboat level2 - you will see some pics of the beast!!!
Old 25 September 2005, 10:00   #35

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by britemp
Asked Solent Ribs for a quote 2 weeks ago and am still waiting - they must have all the customers they need!
Try asking XS-Ribs for a quote (www.xs-ribs.co.uk) You'll get one within a day or two and will be very pleasantly surprised. Great boats and top quality service from barnet marine. Plenty of threads on here about them. They are an up and coming UK company that are growing very quickly and would certainly be worth a look.
Old 26 September 2005, 08:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Try asking XS-Ribs for a quote (www.xs-ribs.co.uk) You'll get one within a day or two and will be very pleasantly surprised. Great boats and top quality service from barnet marine. Plenty of threads on here about them. They are an up and coming UK company that are growing very quickly and would certainly be worth a look.
Thanks - I'll take a look.
Old 26 September 2005, 08:27   #37

Town: New Forest Hampshire
Boat name: Moonshine
Make: Jeanneau Sun 2000
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 6hp
Highlight of the show for me were the Bananashark RIBs.

Thanks to Cookee for the spin in the leisure rib and the tour of the race boat.

Very impressive !!!!

Cheers

Phil
Old 26 September 2005, 08:37   #38

Had a look at XS-Ribs but they don't do the seating layout I want - 2 single jockeys then a gap and a low set rear bech seat for three against a fairly high transom plus a seat in the front of the console and a bow cushion. One of the reasons I favour the Ribeye is that they offer exactly the layout I want and many others don't seem to. If anyone knows any manufacturers who do my layout let me know, I'll be most grateful!
Old 26 September 2005, 08:42   #39

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Dear Britemp,

You have made an excellent choice to but a Ribeye.

This is certainly not the Hyundai of Ribs as Rogue Wave suggests, but more the Aston Martin.
Old 26 September 2005, 10:17   #40

Town: Cumbria
Length: 4m +
Ribeye seems to be a good choice for what you want and the plus factor by miles is having the exact layout you want. There is nothing worse than having to faff about trying to build things afterwards to what you really wanted. Sounds like you've made a very wise decision from the outset.

Hope you enjoy blatting about in it and still talk to us small ribbers

And how I ever missed this exceptionally naughty comment I'll never know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
C'mon Stan, An touch of the NSU a dose of the "Itchy Fannies"!