Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 22 June 2021, 16:44   #21

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150F
I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with the engine trimmed out to 50%.
Old 22 June 2021, 18:08   #22

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depdawg View Post
Have spoken to Ribeye today and they have that the solution is to trim it to half way (on the electronic pitch gauge) and this should solve it. Will update once I have done this.

Thank you for everybody’s helpful comments and advice. Much appreciated.
Ok……… But isn’t trim supposed to control a boats altitude, not a list, what if you want to trim in fully to deal with a head sea? I for one use the engines trim loads to get the best out of a boat - adjusting as required depending on weight distribution , sea conditions, speed etc
Old 22 June 2021, 22:38   #23

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
Ok……… But isn’t trim supposed to control a boats altitude, not a list, what if you want to trim in fully to deal with a head sea? I for one use the engines trim loads to get the best out of a boat - adjusting as required depending on weight distribution , sea conditions, speed etc
Yes, I'm not technical but my knowledge& training is trim is about balancing the boat longitudinally and keeping on the plane, not sorting out a list.

I hardly ever trim up above 50%

If the boat is level at rest? if s, it's not a weight distribution problem.

I think most engines are slightly offset to allow for torque, if yours is mounted dead centre, then it may have an effect.
Old 23 June 2021, 11:56   #24

Boat name: Bluefin
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
As a number, 50% seems like a huge amount of trim on a RIB, however, without knowing how Ribeye set up their engines the actual number is meaningless ! 50% of ‘X’ would be more meaningful.

My Ribcraft is set up so the first 10% of engine trim / tilt is the trim. This is stored by the active trim module as a reference. Very rarely does the engine trim out by more than 3%. Most Mercs are set up the same way.
Old 23 June 2021, 19:39   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
I have used 785s with 250 and 300 outboards for years commercially. I also used to demo these at shows. They are known to lean under heavy acceleration to the left and at speed and the trim is was your need to master. On ours we ran at 40-50trim up at speed on Yam gauge . It could also help with some weight at the helm forward locker. A light hull was greatly improved with out 12 man Liferaft at this position.
As said trim is the area to focus on. A light boat will pull top 52knots!
Old 23 June 2021, 22:03   #26

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Engine: Mercury 350
the easiest solution would be to fit a pair of trim tabs, but a design issue with the boat. Why wasn’t it obvious on the sea trial.
Old 25 June 2021, 07:29   #27

Town: Dublin
I have a ribeye which does the exact same thing. As rib-eye have said to you it’s all about trim. Once you master the trim you won’t notice the list under power at all.
I have a few ribs (both single & twins) and I fine tune the trim of the engines constantly. It drastically affects fuel consumption, ride comfort etc. Even with twins I adjust them Independant of each other to keep boat level or even raise one side if running broadside to a swell for a drier ride
Old 25 June 2021, 10:35   #28

Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard Yamaha 250
Thanks everybody for the helpful responses.
Old 25 June 2021, 10:37   #29

Thanks C2- your experience with the 785s is super helpful.
Old 07 July 2021, 22:56   #30

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Sounds like they mount the engines too low orrrrrr have a hook/deformation in the hull and compensate with trim.

Not a bad article here on static setup. More modern methods on YouTube which demonstrate how to measure the splashing on av plate

https://www.boats.com/how-to/the-out...t-adjustments/

Not a great video (camera man had lots to do) but demonstrates how an engine high on transom can still achieve some splashing on av plate and maintain good water pressure. https://youtu.be/UHvq6f1b2I0
Old 08 July 2021, 00:00   #31

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Surely you have worked through all trim angles while running to find the sweet spot for economy and running comfort etc. To much trim out may cause the vessel to porpoise and trimmed right in will be equally unpleasant especially in rough conditions and following seas.

Some vessels will have dual deep cycle batteries on one side that can effect how the vessels handles or other poor weight distribution onboard. If this is the case trim tabs can soon sort the issue out. There are cheap alternatives to full hydraulic or electric trim tabs such as Bennette slt tabs, which can be adjusted to give different pressure to either side and then work like a simple shock absorber that you don't have to touch ever again. Ive used slt's on several of my boats in the past to correct listing (set them and forget them!!).

Prop torque might be the issue but on my boat with a right hand rotating engine I have my dual battery's on the port side to counteract the effect of torque as it would lean to starboard not port.
Old 08 July 2021, 04:52   #32

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
My tornado used to lean when coming off a wave. Took me a while, but once I got the hang of it, I knew exactly when to flick the helm slightly to starboard to counteract the effect. Not ideal, but did the job!
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2021, 08:31   #33

Thank you

Thanks again for the replies everybody. Have not had the chance to get out for a good spin but will be this week and will report back on the experience. Thanks again.
Old 08 July 2021, 15:38   #34

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
My mate's just resolved this issue on his 6.5 Ribeye/ 150 Yam.
It was jus a pi55 poor propeller.
Fitted a decent aftermarket stainless and problem's gone.
Old 08 July 2021, 18:07   #35

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
As a number, 50% seems like a huge amount of trim on a RIB, however, without knowing how Ribeye set up their engines the actual number is meaningless ! 50% of ‘X’ would be more meaningful.

My Ribcraft is set up so the first 10% of engine trim / tilt is the trim. This is stored by the active trim module as a reference. Very rarely does the engine trim out by more than 3%. Most Mercs are set up the same way.
I meant trim to engine to 50% on the trim gauge, not 50% of the full tilt range that would be excessive.

Tags
rib