Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Ribcraft deck paint

I know this has been covered a few times, but I'm looking for more information, as searches pull up conflicting advice on paints.

So boat is 2010 Ribcraft 4.8m. Never had any deck work done, it's original. The rough anti-slip coating is still there, but I'm looking to freshen it up so its factory original. It's a winter project.

I spilled some petrol from a leaking Tohatsu fuel connector. Definately worth checking your 'o' rings by the way!

Anyway, can I just get a top coat I can paint or roller on. The deck paint is grey in colour. The original has done well, 10 years on, still rough and doing what it's meant to.

If I apply a deck coat without the added sand or grit do I run the risk of losing its abrasive properties? Anyone got any links to suppliers?

Cheers in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0534.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	135316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0535.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	135317  
Old 03 October 2020, 12:35   #2

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
I believe the colour you want is "Dark Admiralty Grey". The original deck coating should be polyester flow coat - some areas "non slip" other areas smooth. I re-did my whole deck, a lot of sanding with 80 grit flap discs on a 115mm grinder, a lot of flap discs and a lot of mess. Hoover up. Wipe down with acetone thoroughly (lots of acetone). I masked up my smooth areas and brushed flowcoat on them first. Then once that had cured I masked them and brushed on non slip flow coat to the rest. I have some of the non slip left over (around 2.5kg of a 5 kg tub). Could sell it cheaply if you wanted it. Bought from East Coast fibreglass supplies.
Old 03 October 2020, 13:22   #3

RIBase
Thanks Diver1. Useful information. Can this job be done by leaving the existing coating? Its intact, not flaking. I just want to freshen in up. Like a tidy deck.
Old 03 October 2020, 16:26   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Thanks Diver1. Useful information. Can this job be done by leaving the existing coating? Its intact, not flaking. I just want to freshen in up. Like a tidy deck.
If you leave the existing coating if its not gelcoat which it probably isnt if fuel attacked it then it will likely react with the new topcoat as its obviously unstable, its also hard to sand to key with the grit in place so your coat is likely to flake if it doesn't react. Best to do as diver1 says and grind back and redo i use a 36g fibre sanding disk on a 7" grinder to sand back, the flowcoat is very thick so fills even rough sanding marks. I also find it better to mix a little resin or plain flowcoat in with the none slip flowcoat as its a bit too rough straight out the tin.
Dont be tempted to use sand or any other abrasive media or its a nightmare to sand up next time as the sand rips the sanding disks to shreds.
Old 03 October 2020, 17:48   #5

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Hi Spartacus ,i write as i have done this to my R/C 5.3 this summer and a little unauthodox .my 5.3 had been painted by its previous scottish owners SEPA , i was told it was international Toplac ,which it was
when i hot pressure washed the floor the toplac flaked off ,after my initial panic i realised this was helpful as i didnt want to be scrubbing it i merrilly removed it all with the washer
my instant observation was the the nice blue grey undercoat was there foreever ,so knowing these pro government authorities have a money no object "do it to the book " practices i quickly identified it as the international "pre kote " undercoat ,knowing nothing would compromise the surface finish ,i purchased a small tin and a packet of international beads and proceeded to mask up the gell coat edge areas and paint the floor . i was very happy with results was a bit of a sky blue /light grey but looks spot on but bear in mind my gel coat is darkish blue !
Old 06 October 2020, 22:08   #6

RIBase
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not prepared to sand back the deck. As mentioned, it's intact, no flaking. Can't I just roller or brush another coat of polyester non-slip flo-coat on top of the existing finish if I de-grease thoroughly with acetone?
Old 06 October 2020, 22:45   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not prepared to sand back the deck. As mentioned, it's intact, no flaking. Can't I just roller or brush another coat of polyester non-slip flo-coat on top of the existing finish if I de-grease thoroughly with acetone?
You can do whatever you want its your boat but if you want a good result then proper preparation is the key to a good finish

Tags
rib, ribcraft