Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 October 2021, 21:26   #61
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
It looks flat in the centre to me, is that an optical illusion?
Its flatter as my question says but not flat as a delta pad would usually be like this drawing. Hence me wondering if there is more than 1 version of the same hull length
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211002-221853_Chrome.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	138989  
__________________

__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2021, 03:53   #62
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
When you say flat planing pad do you mean flat or flatter? This is a picture of the bottom of my 6.5 which has a planing pad but it isnt flat, just wondering if there are more than one version of a 6.4/6.5m boat?
Yes i think it has been suggested earlier in the thread that most of the knowledge re 6.4 is out of date and pre 2019 when the 6.4 hull was redesigned ,maybe we need info re the new 6.4 hull.
__________________

__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2021, 15:03   #63
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Yes i think it has been suggested earlier in the thread that most of the knowledge re 6.4 is out of date and pre 2019 when the 6.4 hull was redesigned ,maybe we need info re the new 6.4 hull.
Looking at the picture Scrambler posted the 585 does share the same hull form as the 6.5 I have which confirms what Pikey Dave says that they are from the same mould. However I doubt the 6.5 is a stretched 585 bearing in mind thats difficult for the makers to do more likely the 585 comes from the 6.5 mould with a blocker in to shorten it. Wether that makes the 585 a better boat than a 6.5 I'd find difficult to accept, extra length usually means better. Possibly PD's boat was suffering due to having two lardy engines hung on the transom rather than one. My boat is underpowered with only 100hp but it does what we need just now but is earmarked for a hp upgrade when something suitable turns up. 4 divers & kit & it sits happy at 20kts, its not a narrow boat by any means & seems reasonably comfortable when its not so good out. I'd accept that the 6.8 is probably a better boat because bigger usually is better but find it hard to believe a smaller boat from the same mould is better because it has half a meter less hull length.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2021, 16:06   #64
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Looking at the picture Scrambler posted the 585 does share the same hull form as the 6.5 I have which confirms what Pikey Dave says that they are from the same mould. However I doubt the 6.5 is a stretched 585 bearing in mind thats difficult for the makers to do more likely the 585 comes from the 6.5 mould with a blocker in to shorten it. Wether that makes the 585 a better boat than a 6.5 I'd find difficult to accept, extra length usually means better. Possibly PD's boat was suffering due to having two lardy engines hung on the transom rather than one. My boat is underpowered with only 100hp but it does what we need just now but is earmarked for a hp upgrade when something suitable turns up. 4 divers & kit & it sits happy at 20kts, its not a narrow boat by any means & seems reasonably comfortable when its not so good out. I'd accept that the 6.8 is probably a better boat because bigger usually is better but find it hard to believe a smaller boat from the same mould is better because it has half a meter less hull length.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
The RC582 is not shortened 6.4. It was designed and built as a 5.85m boat. The "old" RC6.4 was a stretch version of the 585, which may be why it has the reputation for not handling as well as the 585 or the 6.8 both of which were complete designs. The 585 is not made from a 6.4 mould. If RC have now redesigned the 6.4 with a new mould it will be interesting to see how the new version performs.
__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2021, 16:27   #65
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
The RC582 is not shortened 6.4. It was designed and built as a 5.85m boat. The "old" RC6.4 was a stretch version of the 585, which may be why it has the reputation for not handling as well as the 585 or the 6.8 both of which were complete designs. The 585 is not made from a 6.4 mould. If RC have now redesigned the 6.4 with a new mould it will be interesting to see how the new version performs.
Why do you say the 6.4/5 was a streched 585? Its quite common for builders to design a range of 2 or 3 models that come from the same mould but the larger boat is the original mould tool they just put a blocker in the mould for the shorter boat . Its very difficult to stretch a mould as they need to make a new plug then cast a new mould in which case its just as easy to start over & build another similar larger mould but design it from scratch. The 585 being a shorterned 6.5 makes far more sense

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2021, 18:49   #66
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,894
I've said my bit, if people want to believe the RC 585 is a shortened 6.4, then fine, no point in letting facts get in they way

I'm sure the OP will decide what craft and engine he will buy, depending on budget, use need, by assessing some of the genuine depth of knowledge and advice on the forum and if he wants another RC, talking with the manufacturer directly

Navman, do let us know what you finally decide.
__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2021, 20:39   #67
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I've said my bit, if people want to believe the RC 585 is a shortened 6.4, then fine, no point in letting facts get in they way



Navman, do let us know what you finally decide.
You may well be correct but I'm asking where these facts come from because from a manufacturing point of view its a difficult option to stretch a 585 to a 6.5, it would have been far easier to shorten a 6.8 if they wanted a 6.5 & didn't have a mould. It would make far more sense that they built the 6.5 mould & blocked it for the 585 & possibly a 5.5 or 5.6.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2021, 21:14   #68
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,086
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
You may well be correct but I'm asking where these facts come from because from a manufacturing point of view its a difficult option to stretch a 585 to a 6.5, it would have been far easier to shorten a 6.8 if they wanted a 6.5 & didn't have a mould. It would make far more sense that they built the 6.5 mould & blocked it for the 585 & possibly a 5.5 or 5.6.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app


My info came from various conversations with Ribcraft over the 20 odd years Iíve been buying boats off them. Including the aforementioned 6.4. Iíve been to the factory several times & seen hulls in production, including my own 6.4m
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2021, 22:13   #69
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,894
Mr Beamishken,
I say it because it is fact.
I agree with PD, I have actual knowledge having dealt with RC over several years and seen both my boats in production at the factory and long discussions with the RC team. You are fabricating what you think is logical against actual fact, which is not helping anyone.

If there is a new 6.4 hull I'd love to know how it performs...I can always dream about net next size up
__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2021, 22:36   #70
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,154
Guys all I'm saying is the two boats obviously come from the same mould & its very odd for a boat builder to stretch a mould they would usually build fresh as thats essentially what their doing, making a new mould. Wether one was stretched or shrunk realy is irrelevant but I'd find it hard to believe that all things being equal a hull with over half a meter more hull length is in anyway inferior to its shorter siblings. Its not like the 6.5 is a narrow boat for its length.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2021, 13:14   #71
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Navman, do let us know what you finally decide.
Apologies - I meant HarleyRib1 let us know what you decide
__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2021, 20:42   #72
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 115
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Apologies - I meant HarleyRib1 let us know what you decide
Will do weíre still waiting for a response on a email we sent to Rc we also emailed ribeye they phoned back next day might have a used 6mt for sale with 115hp on the back hulls made in South Africa like ballistic not been in one donít know what there like
__________________
Harleyrib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2021, 21:38   #73
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,086
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyrib1 View Post
Will do weíre still waiting for a response on a email we sent to Rc we also emailed ribeye they phoned back next day might have a used 6mt for sale with 115hp on the back hulls made in South Africa like ballistic not been in one donít know what there like


Better to ring RC & speak to Jason. They get many enquiry emails every day.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2021, 21:49   #74
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Better to ring RC & speak to Jason. They get many enquiry emails every day.
+1 give them a call speak with Jason directly

6m Ribeye is a different beast to an RC 585. Not saying better or worse, just different. I don't want to start the old RC v. Ribeye argument

before parting with cash get sea trials in whatever you are considering.
Happy to show you 585 /140 combo in you can get to Brixham. Drop me pm if interested

Have you narrowed RC choice from the 6.4 / 6..4 / 5.85 range yet?
__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2021, 07:04   #75
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,285
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
The old Ribcraft "Come and Trial day" was a great opportunity for prospective customers old and new to try different sizes/models all at the same time,when most of thier RIBs/Models were available to drive individually for comparison .... if I remember correctly that was always in October.....
Could well be worth a call

I remeber Charlie and Mark's favoured quote....(if it was a bit rough) was "Go on ...Try to Break it!"
You can't beat water time when choosing/evaluating a RIB for your needs ...whatever the make model and any opportunity or invitation should certainly be taken when possible.
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2021, 07:39   #76
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,894
Yes, the RC trial days were good.
I remember one of those at Weymouth, it was blowing a hoolie from the East. Children were young.....all fine blasting round Portland harbour playing in the 5.3 and 585, then going out in a 6.4, thinking to go out into the bay. As there were 5 of us and 4 single jockeys I was relegated to standing by the rear seats...as we stuck the bow out of the harbour entrance it got very lively very quickly and standing holding on the rear seats didn't seem like a good idea, at all - I think we all decided at the same time -including the RC rep - can't remember who it was - the harbour was better place to be!
__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2022, 09:55   #77
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 115
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 36
Just picked this up for next season ribeye 6mt Yamaha 115hp not what I initially wanted but Iím happy with it so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	139536  
__________________
Harleyrib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2022, 15:51   #78
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyrib1 View Post
Just picked this up for next season ribeye 6mt Yamaha 115hp not what I initially wanted but Iím happy with it so far
Thats a super little rib ,if you blow the picture up the cab on the front looks good
__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2022, 22:02   #79
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 115
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Thats a super little rib ,if you blow the picture up the cab on the front looks good
Thanks & the yellow telescopic platform is handy for reaching a quay when tides out
__________________

__________________
Harleyrib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib, ribcraft

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 18:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.