Old 10 May 2007, 21:44   #1

Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Ribcraft 4.8

New to the forum, good to see so many active boaters out there...

Just wanted to say, we have a Ribcraft 4.8m, and it is the best small boat I have ever driven, in over 20 yrs on the Scottish West Coast, and over 700hrs logged.

The combination of the deep v hull, and the commercial build quality make it totally sea worthy.

I have done 67hrs through the winter, and been out in a force 7 with 4 on board. Not once has the performance of the boat given any cause for concern.

I would recommend this boat to anyone looking for a true all year round vessell, which will run rings round many a bigger boat.

With 60hp, she is good for 30knots, and the light weight of the boat, coupled to the efficency of modern engines, means we are regularly getting 4hrs from a 25litre tank of unleaded. This means you can get out more often without breaking the bank.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	074 - Copy.JPG
Views:	1489
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	26773  
Old 10 May 2007, 22:14   #2

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
I expect I'll be first of many - but welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear your so pleased with your Ribcraft. How long have you had her - just this winter or a bit longer? Good to see a photo as well - have you got any more that show off some of the lovely scenery that you have up there?

Andrew
Old 10 May 2007, 22:47   #3

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
[QUOTE=Amber1;198863] New to the forum, good to see so many active boaters out there...

Just wanted to say, we have a Ribcraft 4.8m, and it is the best small boat I have ever driven, in over 20 yrs on the Scottish West Coast, and over 700hrs logged.
I have done 67hrs through the winter, and been out in a force 7 with 4 on board. Not once has the performance of the boat given any cause for concern.

How do Amber 1, would you ever please go to the RNLI and get a job there, they are looking for people like you. If you are going out in force 7 you may as well be in their boat as it will save a pick up....
Old 13 May 2007, 20:55   #4

Town: Cork, Ireland
Make: Lencraft 5.0 M
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 75 HP 2 Str
Where do I sign Amber?!

S
Old 13 May 2007, 21:06   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Amber,

Lovely looking boat. Welcome to the forum.
Old 14 May 2007, 17:08   #6

Town: Cork, Ireland
Make: Lencraft 5.0 M
Engine: Yamaha 75 HP 2 Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber1 View Post
getting 4hrs from a 25litre tank of unleaded. This means you can get out more often without breaking the bank.
Is this actually possible?! What are you all getting from your 25 Litre Tank-fulls?

S
Old 14 May 2007, 17:38   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I'm getting significantly less than that!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 17:41   #8

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Matt,

Its a smaller boat with a smaller engine and its Four Stroke.

You could get the same MPG if you didn't try and take all your fish home alive in your own bit of the English Channel you've managed to get in the boat.
Old 14 May 2007, 18:57   #9

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
So not only did you have a look you joined!

best of luck with the boat,thanks for the tip with the bilge pump.

Quote:
New to the forum, good to see so many active boaters out there...

The combination of the deep v hull, and the commercial build quality make it totally sea worthy.

I would recommend this boat to anyone looking for a true all year round vessell, which will run rings round many a bigger boat.

With 60hp, she is good for 30knots, and the light weight of the boat, coupled to the efficency of modern engines, means we are regularly getting 4hrs from a 25litre tank of unleaded. This means you can get out more often without breaking the bank.

Cheers
Old 14 May 2007, 22:34   #10

Thanks for the comments

Thanks for all the positive comments,

The boat is 6 months old, and before that we had a Bombard 3.8m with a Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke, which we once took round the Isle of Arran! Don't need to go far to find adventurous boating up here..

The Bombard was a good step up to the bigger boat. Going back many years, we also had a Bonwitco with a yamaha 6hp, which we used to take out and chase the American Submarines.

Have always found the Yamaha engines to be reliable and solid. The one on Amber is very very economical indeed...

She will plane at 12 knots - 3400rpm, and you are doing 18-20knots at roughly 3800-3900 rpm. There's usually only two people out, so you can cruise at this kind of power setting quite comfortably for a long time, and the engine is only sipping the fuel, but there's still enough power to get you home quick.

We looked long and hard at various engine/ boat combinations before settling for this one. It is a good compromise between size, weight, speed and economy. I'm not joking, when I say you can go out with 50 litres aboard, for 4-5hrs, and come back with one can still 95% full.

We are members & keen supporters of the RNLI. I was trying to think of ways to raise money locally, and came up with the idea of visiting all the RNLI inshore lifeboat stations on the upper clyde in one day, during the summer.

If I've got it right, there are 4 stations: Largs, Lamlash, Tighnabruich & Rhu. It would be an all day trip, and I estimate roughly 50-55 nautical miles, if done as a circuit.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone thought this was a good idea, and would be interested in taking part. If you pick a good day, the scenery is absolutely stunning!
Old 14 May 2007, 22:51   #11

Photos

Here's a couple of pics from 14th April.....

1st day out all season less than a F4!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	043 - Copy.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	26840   Click image for larger version

Name:	032 - Copy.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	26841  
Old 14 May 2007, 23:12   #12

Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
2nd Photo...

Oi! That's my patch!

Like the sound of the RNLI tour - after recent incidents off (and on) Pladda I think some of us need to spread the good word...

(For the non-local, it involved two off-duty IRB crew, a 14ft Fletcher with a 150 Merc, one stuffing, no L/Js, no flares, no VHF, no anchor - and a FECK of a lot of luck )

Anyway, wave next time you're off the ragged end of Arran.
Old 15 May 2007, 21:17   #13

Pladda Incident

I saw the photograph of the fletcher getting washed on the rocks.... We were out that day too, to the west of Bute, it was rough!

Those guys were very lucky, I heard it took 20 minutes for the ILB to reach them.

Just goes to show, you can never take safety for granted.
Old 16 May 2007, 22:17   #14

Engine: 90hp
Another welcome to Ribnet. Was wondering how long it would take before you appeared! I see you've already run into IBWET

May be interested in your RYA station tour depending on when abouts you were doing it. Great idea.

Al (Blue RC5.3 at LYH)
Old 16 May 2007, 22:39   #15

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
I saw the photograph of the fletcher getting washed on the rocks....
Couldn't post the pic, by any chance?
Old 17 May 2007, 18:58   #16

Photo/ RNLI Trip

The photo can be viewed at www.arranbanner.co.uk

Scroll down, and there is text regarding the circumstances of the incident.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would anticipate that if we were going to do this trip to raise funds for the RNLI it would be into July, and probably a Saturday. I would prefer to look for a day where there's a fair weather window, to avoid extra fuel use, and to be a better day out!

The weather can be pretty unpredictable, and that would be the deciding factor as to whether or not to go on a particular day.

I will need to do some research as to how to get hold of sponsorship forms etc from the RNLI.

Cheers
Old 17 May 2007, 19:30   #17

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
I'd be up for that( RNLI trip),with the wife and the saucepan lids.

Would you be up for bringing the sannies Mr Grocer

Quote:
Thanks for all the positive comments,

The boat is 6 months old, and before that we had a Bombard 3.8m with a Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke, which we once took round the Isle of Arran! Don't need to go far to find adventurous boating up here..

The Bombard was a good step up to the bigger boat. Going back many years, we also had a Bonwitco with a yamaha 6hp, which we used to take out and chase the American Submarines.

Have always found the Yamaha engines to be reliable and solid. The one on Amber is very very economical indeed...

She will plane at 12 knots - 3400rpm, and you are doing 18-20knots at roughly 3800-3900 rpm. There's usually only two people out, so you can cruise at this kind of power setting quite comfortably for a long time, and the engine is only sipping the fuel, but there's still enough power to get you home quick.

We looked long and hard at various engine/ boat combinations before settling for this one. It is a good compromise between size, weight, speed and economy. I'm not joking, when I say you can go out with 50 litres aboard, for 4-5hrs, and come back with one can still 95% full.

We are members & keen supporters of the RNLI. I was trying to think of ways to raise money locally, and came up with the idea of visiting all the RNLI inshore lifeboat stations on the upper clyde in one day, during the summer.

If I've got it right, there are 4 stations: Largs, Lamlash, Tighnabruich & Rhu. It would be an all day trip, and I estimate roughly 50-55 nautical miles, if done as a circuit.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone thought this was a good idea, and would be interested in taking part. If you pick a good day, the scenery is absolutely stunning!
Old 17 May 2007, 19:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
I'd be up for that( RNLI trip),with the wife and the saucepan lids.

Would you be up for bringing the sannies Mr Grocer
(With apologies to the best shopkeeper ever:-)

"Gu-gu-gu-Granville! Fu-fu-fu-fetch yesterday's bread, will you..."

No problem. I've already got the cheese ripening...

July looks good time-wise: I'll tu-tu-tu-ask Mrs. Grocer not to take any B&B bookings for those weekends until further notice.

You guys sort out the weather.
Old 18 May 2007, 15:38   #19

Amber1's wee jaunt...

Quote:

I've just been playing around with the charts - I reckon on about 80nm, about 4 hours drive time plus say half an hour at each station for stale pieces; but just to add to the possibilities Troon has a class D IRB as well as the Trent
And then Girvan's only 20nm down the coast...
...from there you're just 25nm from Campbeltown

Just over 180nm for the Grand Tour.
Which Amber should do on about half a litre of unleaded the rest of us will need to refuel somewhere

Now if anyone's got a spare pointy-nosed rib or six we can borrow...

Is someone going to put something in the "Upcoming lunacy" section?
Old 18 May 2007, 20:22   #20

RNLI Trip

Thanks for the interest in the wee trip....

I thought it would be a good idea to raise some funds for a good cause......

I thought about the Troon, Campbeltown options, but I thought it best to stick to the more sheltered waters in this instance.

In particular, anyone who would want to come along, would be doing so at their own risk, and would be responsible for the safe running and operation of their own boat, and the welfare of their own crew....which I'm sure everyone already looks out for.

If there's a good weather window, I think the distance is ok, not too long... not too short, and wouldn't be so costly on fuel for everyone. While it's good sometimes to get out in the rough stuff, it wouldn't be much fun battling the elements for charity.

My thinking is that it would be a cruise done at moderate speed, (about 20 knots) with a few stops, and maybe some good photo opportunities, as opposed to a blast over large areas of open water....

Let me know your thoughts

Cheers