Old 15 September 2002, 20:34   #1

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Ribbing / RBI/etc

This is a great forum for learning; a multitude of people with experience, sharing that experience and technical and practical knowledge .

Do you need more?

We are all part of an informal club but I presume its open to all!

For instance I am technically inept and if any thing goes wrong with my Optimax 225 I wouldn't have a clue;I hope this doesn't disqualify me .I am amazed at the number of ribbers who are nervous about cross channel or long distance cruises that I have done or will contemplate;does this qualify me?
I look forward to the next edition of RIB I but accept it for what it is -a glossy- but the only one in town.for me the RIB version of Practical Boat Owner would be wasted .RIBI may if sold on the newstand encourage an expansion of the sport.

In conclusion -cliques end up being boring

-the wider the contributors the better

-a forum which can retain interest for more than a year has something valuable
Old 16 September 2002, 08:31   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
If you are saying that ribnet is a brilliant forum, then I agree with you. It has a very wide range of knowledgeable people from all walks of life including a number of interesting perspectives from people outside the UK.
For instance, I think your knowledge of long range and channel crossing is very interesting. I read an article in RIB Int. once about a smallish rib that crossed from the Scillies to Kinsale in Ireland, as part of a longer cruise. At the time I was considering making this passage but it was outside the range of my then boat. The article read something like "Left Scillies 09.00 arrived Kinsale 17.30, 146 miles, moored up and went to bed. Next day...."

How did you actually FEEL about this. What was it like? That is what I wanted to know.
On this forum you can ask such questions, either publically or via PMs and with the others permission, even talk to each other on the phone. I think this forum is GREAT !
Old 16 September 2002, 09:46   #3

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Couldn't agree more, and it's FREE

Keith (cheapskate) Hart
Old 16 September 2002, 09:51   #4

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
I must say I agree with Brian on this one - this Forum is an exceptinal source on information. Youonly hav to post a question and you often have answers within minutes - and a variety of views and opinions.

As for undertaking / not undertaking various trips, that will always be the decision of the individual.

Lat summer we puchased a SIB to supplement our RIB, as I could keep it in the boot and use it at short notice when away on business etc. Initially had a 3.3 Metre Yam, with a 6 HP 4 stroke, and was quite happy leaving Portsmouth Harbour and popping over to Cowes, or a similar trip from the Hamble. I did once earn the wrath of the Newquay Harboumaster in Cornwall as we launched from there for a fishing trip, and disappeared over the horizon. Despite being back in harbour 2 hours before we had estimated, he was concerned that we had taken such a small craft out of sight.

Later I traded the Yam for a 4.3 Metre Quicksilver with a 25HP Mariner, and again completed many relatively long trips in her both in the Solent and off of the North Wales Coast.

In the past I have operated Gemini inflatables in some VERY rough seas. If you treat your boat, and the sea, with respect - and prepare well, things should go OK.
Old 16 September 2002, 10:07   #5

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Well, I was trying to suggest that the wider the audience and the contributors the better because this results in a forum that hosts a wealth of experience which can be shared;and to recognise that the interests and experience of contributors may differ widely but that is the great quality of such forums.

RIB should do more than it is at present to draw on that pool of knowledge but hey whilst this forum continues we can all learn without a mag.

I have rarely found so many people who will offer help on any imaginable issue to do with RIBS and long may it continue
Old 16 September 2002, 19:36   #6

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Graeme

"Initially had a 3.3 Metre Yam, with a 6 HP 4 stroke, and was quite happy leaving Portsmouth Harbour and popping over to Cowes, or a similar trip from the Hamble. "

Graeme the harbour master should have the authority to section you, under section blah blah blah, of the mental health act !!!!!

LOL

Where do you buy your bravery pills from ???

Maybe I should consider taking my downsized rib outside the Hamble one day
Old 16 September 2002, 19:50   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I took an Avon super sport 3.4m round the needles in October 1996 with a yamaha 25hp engine. No problem. One of the best trips I've had. Still forgot to pick up any sand from Alum bay though!
Old 17 September 2002, 06:12   #8

Wow, looks like we're out of the closet at last.

Matiboy, you are my hero. 3.1m Yessssssssssss!

Jizm, great start and at least you're not using a supertanker now.

So. now for the crunch. Who's up for a trip from John O'Groats (try a search for previous threads) to Orkney next summer?

Keith (light at the end of the tunnel) Hart

PS I'll have to alter my profile now (check it out)
Old 17 September 2002, 08:50   #9

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Matiboy - i hope you appreciate the symbolism of this event - my commiserations Keith on this sad day that you loose your title, may the reign of our new king SIB be prospers!

For info if you get a group together i'll borrow a SIB for a few days and come up and join you, sounds mad.
Old 17 September 2002, 09:15   #10

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Keith (WGS #2) Hart
Old 17 September 2002, 15:58   #11

Still WGS , but no longer smallest SIB !

Now I an SERIOUS about the trip to Orkney. If any one would like to join me. Please let me know.

Keith (the ribster formerly known as smallest on Ribnet) Hart
Old 17 September 2002, 20:34   #12

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Smaller than Keiths

Hey Keith

Our first RIB was a Caribe 2.8M with a 10Hp.

Now that was small.

Think you can say the bugs bit, 2.8M to 7.8M in 3 years!.

Regards Gary