Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
If you do, would it be for hire if you're not using it? :-D
With the length of the Valley park I'm surprised they don't have a fleet of communal bikes already.

Do you launch down there regularly? I was out about 3 nights a week till this summer just gone.
Old 09 January 2012, 19:50   #22

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo
Do you launch down there regularly? I was out about 3 nights a week till this summer just gone.
Sadly, no, as we live about as far from the sea as it's possible to get in the UK. We keep a caravan at Carnon Downs (285 miles from home!) and stay Easter, Spring week, 3 weeks summer and October week. Christmas too, sometimes, but the RIB stays at home then. Too far for weekends. Three nights a week? LOL :-)

We keep the RIB on the Mylor visitor moorings...saves all that tedious launch and recovery crap. Nice secure place, good services and like the local waters
Old 09 January 2012, 21:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Sadly, no, as we live about as far from the sea as it's possible to get in the UK. We keep a caravan at Carnon Downs (285 miles from home!) and stay Easter, Spring week, 3 weeks summer and October week. Christmas too, sometimes, but the RIB stays at home then. Too far for weekends. Three nights a week? LOL :-)

We keep the RIB on the Mylor visitor moorings...saves all that tedious launch and recovery crap. Nice secure place, good services and like the local waters
Ahhhh, up the downs. I know it well, my parents lived in Feock until about a year ago. I live in Truro now but keep the boat out the Helston side of Falmouth so its a bit of a mission for a few hours fishing.

Really regret giving my mooring up on Loe beach now but I moved away for a year or two and had no idea how long the waiting list had got!

Countdown until the Pandora opens again is on. March apparently. I think thats why I didn't get out on the water much last year, lack of suitable drinking holes!
Old 10 January 2012, 07:09   #24

Town: Porthtowan
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 30hp Outboard
Can't wait for the Pandora to open again. The Smugglers has been a farce all summer long! The Tregothnan estate seem to employ there staff on looks alone!

Mylor's a good slip to launch from except for the fact it dries out and it can be a complete free for all in the height of summer. I've seen some truly stupid things done by some very arrogant people down there and unfortunately about 50% of them have been rib owner!

I might try Hayle and Penzance next year just for a bit of variety.
Old 10 January 2012, 10:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishRoss View Post
Can't wait for the Pandora to open again. The Smugglers has been a farce all summer long! The Tregothnan estate seem to employ there staff on looks alone!

Mylor's a good slip to launch from except for the fact it dries out and it can be a complete free for all in the height of summer. I've seen some truly stupid things done by some very arrogant people down there and unfortunately about 50% of them have been rib owner!

I might try Hayle and Penzance next year just for a bit of variety.
Agreed, whats happened at the Smugglers is tragic. The Pandora can't re-open soon enough in my opinion and I will never go back to the Smugglers. Once was enough.
Hopefully the Smugglers will get hit in the pocket when that happens as I'm sure 90% of their custom last summer was simply due to the Pandora's closure.

Good point about the slip, there are some total muppets down there in the summer. I like it there at this time of year, arrive, launch, gone. 5 Mins max.

Its a shame they didn't dredge the approach to the slip when they did the marina. It would have been availaible at all tides then and at totally insignificant cost considering the amount of material already being removed.
Old 10 January 2012, 13:09   #26

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
Plus in Looe there is an even better Outboard sales and Service Centre!!
And, so rumour has it, one that sells very shiney props to local dive clubs

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2012, 19:09   #27

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Smuggler's now serves overpriced, micro portioned pretentious guff aimed at tourists thanks to the Tregothnan takeover. Tregothnan has become a massive exercise in marketing over substance.

IMV, the Pan isn't far behind. Since my pal Roger Hough died and Mr. Milan took over the lease, the Pan has slowly become another soul-less, local free, bland 'Gastro pub'.

The Ferryboat is my local. If you negotiate the menu with care (it aint cheap) there are some tasty, reasonable value treats in there. The shellfish is proper.

If you bump into a floppy haired teen lad wearing clapped out brown deckies attempting to wait tables, go easy on him.
Old 04 March 2012, 19:47   #28

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
...Since my pal Roger Hough died and Mr. Milan took over the lease, ..
Does Mr Milan operate a dog-friendly policy?
Old 04 March 2012, 19:54   #29

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Does Mr Milan operate a dog-friendly policy?
Rog didn't discriminate between dogs, kids or tourists. He hated all three, especially if they should venture into his pub.
Old 04 March 2012, 20:08   #30

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Lifeboatmen would have been welcome though.