Old 01 May 2009, 17:31   #1

Town: Oban
Make: rib-x
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 honda
Rib-X XP640.

Crumbs. Have read a lot about the boat we bought nearly two years ago.

We did have a couple of problems with the boat. Not up to spec on delivery for instance. As it happens Rib-X were fantastically useless at helping us until I threw a fit. The extra parts arrived in days! Haven't needed to talk to them since but they were always friendly (but didn't deliver until prodded). Great at selling me the boat, not so good at ensuring I will buy another. Haven't heard a peep since - perhaps they know we won't be coming back! In any case it will almost certainly be a big Redbay.

No problems since - fortunately I have a friend who completed the retrofit.

As a boat I quite like it (although it is our first). Honda engine (which we insisted on as the fish farms around us only use honda - so it kind of figured...) works well. Steering is heavy, but I'm not so weak. We unusually asked for a 200l fuel tank, also unusually asked for 2x double jockeys with three man bench at the back to transport 9-11 people if need be for a picnic.

We've learnt a lot with this boat and I look forward to stretching it this Summer with a huge trip planned.

Have we bought a lemon? Any thoughts from the floor?
Old 08 May 2009, 12:11   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 E-Tec
I have owned a couple of Rib-X's I would not have gone back for more if I thought they were no good. I think the boats are good but, I agree, they are better at selling it to you than backing you up once you have bought it. I think that is down to being too busy than being no good.