Old 13 June 2004, 14:38   #21

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
The truth is, the boat is a piece of crap and is not suitable for it's intended use. Instead of the builders/importers spending fortunes on marketing what is clearly a dog, they should look at the economics of paying someone who knows a lot more than them to consult on sorting it out. (Not me I am to busy) It might also be worth mentioning that whoever the salesman was at RIBEX be taken out in a proper rib to see how one is supposed to handle then he might be in a better position to explain the way his boat drives.
Alan P
Old 13 June 2004, 15:04   #22

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
Well,...thats that then.....
Old 13 June 2004, 16:41   #23

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy
The truth is, the boat is a piece of crap and is not suitable for it's intended use. Alan P
Did you go on it Alan? Can't see where the wrong (expression 'dog') lies with this boat? Quite a few people that have driven it think is great fun. Can't see it why is such a bad boat my self.

However it will be interesting to have some more details from you as to why is such a 'dog' please?
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2004, 17:34   #24

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Easy now

Surely this has got to be the set up on this particular boat, there's no way that a manufacturer would put a boat like this on the market if what people have described is true, i have been on a boat which was absolutely lethal and performed similarly to the Falcon at the show even though over 70 of exactly the same model had been made with no problems. I think some people here are jumping the gun a little.
Old 13 June 2004, 17:42   #25

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff
Surely this has got to be the set up on this particular boat, there's no way that a manufacturer would put a boat like this on the market if what people have described is true, i have been on a boat which was absolutely lethal and performed similarly to the Falcon at the show even though over 70 of exactly the same model had been made with no problems. I think some people here are jumping the gun a little.
Can Manos, 2 magazines and Alan Priddy all be wrong? They all agree it is not for the general public and it needs at the very least racing "bucket" seats.

If I made a boat like that I would change it - regardless of how fast it went before putting it for sale to the general public!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2004, 21:29   #26

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Food for thought?

I don't know if this will throw any light on the discussion:

I had a chat with a guy on a pontoon at Lymington last week who had a RIB X with Honda 225 on the back. I can't remember his name, but I'm pretty sure he is a broker. The boat looked to be about 7m.

When I asked him about the handling of the boat he told me that it had been much worse than expected. He thought it was because it is massively over powered with a 225 on such a light rib. However, it transpired that the outboard had been fitted in the wrong position on the transom. They have recently corrected this and the handling is apparently completely transformed. Even though that engine is still too big.

Perhaps this is the boat that various people have had bad experiences on? If this is the case it makes me wonder at the professionalism (or otherwise) of the importers if they are demoing boats with the wrong engine, fitted in the wrong position...

He also said that although the boat is now handles much better, it is very much a race hull and nowhere near as stable as the smaller RIB X, which he had in the yard.
Old 14 June 2004, 04:58   #27

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Brambles, interesting

I had actually pointed out these two things i.e. Overpowered and possibly that the engine was in the wrong position at the some point on this thread.

The 225bhp is too much for the boat (this boat use to race in SA - still is in F3 - with a 90bhp and it makes speeds of 80 and 90 kms/hr). I remember when I was discussing what engine to put with FALCON they had suggested to put 150bhp on it and that at the very maximum (need to be careful when you drive it fast was one of the comments) to put a 200 bhp as they were concerned not of the power but of the weight distribution on the boat and how it affects the balance of the boat at high speeds.

I would be very interested to hear some substantiating evidence on the 'dog' expression by Alan P. For whom I have great respect.

However, so far as I understand it there are two/three wrong things on this 700 RSR that has been tested in the UK:

1. too much power (very important and can affect the boat negatively at high speeds when one does not have experience in driving)
2. wrong engine set up (this has been rectified I suppose)
3. wrong boat set up (wrong weight distribution which again can affect the boat at high speeds with weather/waves on port or the starboard side if the boat is not placed right to the waves or has not been trimmed correctly)
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote