Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 December 2011, 17:47   #21

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
To correct my earlier post

I've just received a PM (after a missed telephone call) from a fellow Ribnetter who is also a Honda main dealer. They seemed to suggest I should not have advised you of the fact you could get the T-40 for such a good price from a competitor Honda dealer. They seem to suggest I should have let them try to sell you the 2.7 for almost the same price!!!!

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the idea of this site (community) was to help you guys out and get you the best deal. As a trader if that means you come to me great. If I know you can get a better deal elsewhere I'd happily say so, even if it means I lose a sale. Clearly others would prefer to just secure a sale regardless if you can get a better deal or not.

Now if it was in jest (which I don't think it was having taken the trouble of trying to phone me first) i'll edit this post accordingly. It's not like I was "stealing your sale" I was simply putting out there the price I knew it was available for

Out of interest, how much do you offer the T-40 for ? If the T-27 is £700 I'm guessing it's a lot more than the £895 my local Honda agent does them for! Perhaps that's why I got the message I got!

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 14 December 2011, 18:16   #22

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
I'm selling handbags now.......
Old 15 December 2011, 08:02   #23

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Why didn't the Honda dealer post himself or are they trying to monopolise you. Bloody liberty

sent from a remote device
Old 15 December 2011, 08:14   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
To correct my earlier post

I've just received a PM (after a missed telephone call) from a fellow Ribnetter who is also a Honda main dealer. They seemed to suggest I should not have advised you of the fact you could get the T-40 for such a good price from a competitor Honda dealer. They seem to suggest I should have let them try to sell you the 2.7 for almost the same price!!!!

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the idea of this site (community) was to help you guys out and get you the best deal. As a trader if that means you come to me great. If I know you can get a better deal elsewhere I'd happily say so, even if it means I lose a sale. Clearly others would prefer to just secure a sale regardless if you can get a better deal or not.

Now if it was in jest (which I don't think it was having taken the trouble of trying to phone me first) i'll edit this post accordingly. It's not like I was "stealing your sale" I was simply putting out there the price I knew it was available for

Out of interest, how much do you offer the T-40 for ? If the T-27 is £700 I'm guessing it's a lot more than the £895 my local Honda agent does them for! Perhaps that's why I got the message I got!

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
I take it said Honda dealer isn't paying for trade membership...?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2011, 08:26   #25
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Incidentally, I also have a Redcrest. It's good, but the Redstart is a better option as they are considerably smaller packed down.There's more than one type of outboard bracket for the Avon dinghies so try and get the bracket with the dinghy.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2011, 10:50   #26

Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
RIBase
Something like that is ideal, as is light (19kgs) cheap, easy to carry it on a roofrack
Bic Sportyak 213
Old 15 December 2011, 10:56   #27

Town: HERACLION
Make: MY ONE
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2*350
I do oto stop
Old 15 December 2011, 10:58   #28

Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3mm0s rib View Post
I do oto stop
then you have to upgrade to something like that

Old 15 December 2011, 11:03   #29

Town: HERACLION
Make: MY ONE
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2*350
Who do this; nice
Old 16 December 2011, 07:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer
Why didn't the Honda dealer post himself or are they trying to monopolise you. Bloody liberty

They didn't post themselves as the were trying to sell the guy a T27 for almost the same price as another Honda agent (who is nothing to do with me and not part of this forum) is selling a T40 for!

I've since had a lot of interesting PM's from them aswell as a bit of a petulant post on one of my own Honda outboard sales. Seems like they are upset at the competition - not from me but their fellow Honda dealers!

Old 16 December 2011, 07:50   #31

Well. Pete. I think that you need to name them. There's nothing worse than people sniping behind your back
I think that these type of guys only kick up when they aren't doing so well. Surely you can do what you like. It seems that there gripe is with the other Honda dealer not you. Why are they giving you hassle. Go and see them

Old 16 December 2011, 08:27   #32

Indeed. I was just trying to help the OP get the best deal. For the record I have no problem with Dave or the team at "Clydeoutboards" - I didn't even realise they were Honda main agents. If you look at my earlier post on this thread you will see what they wrote and what i did. Its not like ive lost them a sale as they were only offering advice and did not quote the guy. That's what has started it off. Some of the PM's I've had since are comical

Anyway it would appear I'm not the only ones they have upset. I consider the matter closed. Let's see what they do from here!

Old 16 December 2011, 08:51   #33

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Use your ringo! lol
Old 16 December 2011, 09:42   #34

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

we are happy to named and expain what we said and why we said it.

re the price

The T40-AE has an RRP 1050 inc VAT and we all get the same discount so the price being offered is cost+ £20.00 and NO we can not match that and would not match that unless an engine was being bought with it. The reason for this is that Honda give all dealers an extra 10% margin if you buy as a package and that would mean we could easily do the deal.

If the price quoted was not including anything else then we would soon be out of business selling at just over 2%.

The request I made to Peter and sorry if this is wrong or if I did it badley ( I am human and I do make mistakes and english is not a strong point to say the least) is that he was promoting a price from an unnamed company) that was

a: had high postage and not a true reflection of the cost for the item
b: you had to buy a honda engine with it to get that price and hence still missleading
c: an amazing price that must be to get rid of surpless stock and hence will not be there for long so buy now as it will not be repeated but again is not relfective of an online price.

If any company can sell any marine product at that margin and can keep it at that level then they must be huge i.e. a 10 million turnover company making less than 2.5 margin would only make less than £25,000 a year - salarys, office/ workshop rental/ rates, gas, electricty etc.

Our margins are around 10-15% on small items and not engines and 10% or just under on new engines and slightly less for commercail clients where we operate an open cost + margin agreement in return for volume and gtd orders.

Once again sorry if what I did was wrong and/ or I did it in the wrong way but I do stand by what I hope was my point of that the T40 price quoted was either reflective of what the boat normaly sells for as I am guessing it was
not including other things i.e. postage, need to buy an new engine,
or a very special stock clearance price that will not be there for long and not reflective of a normal selling price so buy quickly!

to show how amazing that price is here a few of our competitor links for this item

Honwave T40-AE 4.0m Aluminium floor + air keel - 400 by: Honda -
Honda HonWave T40-AE, Honda T40-AE
Seamark Nunn.com Discount Marine Equipment: Honda Honwave Inflatables these look to be the cheapest by far but they charge £65.00 for delivery
Youngs are by far the biggest and the T40 is being sold at rrp
Honda Honwave Aluminium Deck Inflatables - Youngs Boat Yard

once again sorry i just wanted the price to reflective of what is normall for that item and not a price that ALL honda dealers could not offer long term and stay in business at less than 2.5 % margins

regards

Dave
Old 16 December 2011, 10:54   #35

It might have been wise to post that answer first instead of beating Pete up dave
I can understand where you are coming from a little and an honest answer like that will speak volumes on here
I have had some dealings with Pete and he's a helpful bloke and I'm sure that a talk together would be more rewarding to both of you
Dave can you give me a price on a new Honda 20 hp with tilt and trim. Pm me. It's for a walkerbay tender I need to do in the new year

Old 16 December 2011, 15:29   #36
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
english is not a strong point
Nor it would seem is maths!

Quote:
a 10 million turnover company making less than 2.5 margin would only make less than £25,000 a year
£10,000,000 x 2.5% = £250,000 !
Old 16 December 2011, 15:33   #37

The request you made to me was "am i going to continue to advise of cheaper companies than you" to which I replied if asked to yes of course, and you spat your dummy out! You did not at no point ask me to provide the details of where such a deal was on offer! You simply wanted me to stop helping Ribnetters find a good deal so you could sell to them your stock at your prices! I'm happy to put the PM's up if you like!

It's a shame you have continued to make defamatory, slanderous comments to me via PM after this post! I've responded directly and will leave it there.

I'd expect a real apology not to contain such comments but I won't hold my breath.