Old 21 February 2011, 21:48   #1
Zan

Town: Glasgow
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90HP Yamaha Outboard
RIB storage near Glasgow

Evening folks,
Does anyone know of anywhere good to keep a RIB stored near Glasgow? I've been looking at a caravan storage place but it seems to be full at the moment, and the marinas are pretty expensive. They would do for a short-term solution but would be good to know about any alternatives worth considering even if there's currently a waiting list. I'll be mainly using the boat around the Clyde or up in the west coast sea lochs so somewhere on / near the A82 would be good or around Kip / Largs way.

Cheers!
Old 21 February 2011, 21:57   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Zan as I rib up in Argyll I kep my rib up there all year so I sorry I cant help you but I am sure Bigmuz, Polwart or some of the other central boys will be along to assist.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2011, 22:14   #3

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
yep .. i'm sure someone posted about a yard Helensburgh way was looking for boats recently .. on a thread with 'c' somone who just bought a searider IIRC .. Polwart will find it *edit* sorry Polwart .. had a 5AM start and need bed!!
Old 21 February 2011, 22:42   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
Evening folks,
Does anyone know of anywhere good to keep a RIB stored near Glasgow? I've been looking at a caravan storage place but it seems to be full at the moment, and the marinas are pretty expensive. They would do for a short-term solution but would be good to know about any alternatives worth considering even if there's currently a waiting list. I'll be mainly using the boat around the Clyde or up in the west coast sea lochs so somewhere on / near the A82 would be good or around Kip / Largs way.

Cheers!
I'm not sure what counts as "cheap" in your eyes. I'm only paying £18.02 per month (for a 4m boat indoors with a slipway) but that has taken some finding and is not by any means "luxurious". Unfortunately its on the firth of forth rather than the clyde. I did look for options around the A82 area a few years ago and couldn't find anything cheap and secure.

Have you looked at these:

http://www.thebigboatshed.com/
http://www.drbmarine.co.uk/
http://ribshed.com

My good deal on the forth is in a small tatty boat yard. I'd guess its possible there is somewhere around the clyde that has the same sort of scruffy little place - but perhaps the sort of place you have to stumble on or find on google earth rather than through a webpage!
Old 21 February 2011, 22:50   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
yep .. i'm sure someone posted about a yard Helensburgh way was looking for boats recently .. on a thread with 'c' somone who just bought a searider IIRC .. Polwart will find it *edit* sorry Polwart .. had a 5AM start and need bed!!
Is this the thread you were thinking of? http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26516

EDIT - I believe Thumperbob has retired from RIBing - the storage he referred to was:

a dry, brick lambing shed on farm only 5 mins from Balloch. ...three CCTV cameras to be passed before reaching boat storage area....... owners having own business offices adjacently located.... Contact number is for office of said business on site (don't let answering machine put you off ) - 01389 850606
Old 22 February 2011, 08:27   #6

Town: Exiled in England!
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Anyone know somewhere that does it short term? I'm thinking just for a couple of days at a time. I'm going up to see my parents in Glasgow in a couple of weeks and quite fancy taking the boat up, unfortunately there's not really anywhere to park it at there's. Any of the marinas let you park a trailered boat up?
Old 22 February 2011, 08:36   #7

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
You could try Sandpoint Marina (more like builders yard) dumbarton g82 4bg 01389 768396
Old 22 February 2011, 11:08   #8

Town: Exiled in England!
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Ta.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:38   #9

Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Both Largs and Kip Marina's will do it for you, won't be particularly cheap though. I pay around £1,500 a year at Largs which includes unlimited slips in and out of the water and a pressure wash down each time its slipped. Boat is kept in a compund which is locked at night and has CCTV, also the guys in the marina are pretty good at phoning you if they spot anything unusual going on with your boat.
Old 22 February 2011, 14:21   #10
Zan

Make: Avon SR 5.4
Engine: 90HP Yamaha Outboard
Coolio, there's a few places I haven't tried yet on that list so will look into it. Anyone use Loch Lomond marina? They seem to be the cheapest marina storage place (£800 odd per year) and while I'll not be doing a lot of boating on LL, it is at least convenient for the A82 and getting back over the erskine bridge.
Old 22 February 2011, 20:17   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
farms is good the farmers haven't got the greed Marina owners have!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote