Old 17 January 2010, 20:28   #1

Town: Basingstoke
Boat name: Shackleton
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
RIB storage - dry stack?

Second Newbie question, of sorts .................

Experiences please - Saxon, Drivers, Hamble Point areas?

Seems a good idea, but I've heard costs not much cheaper than marina berths ?

Anyone Ribbers at any of these particulary?

I don't really fancy towing and launching every time I want to go out - what do others do?

Thanks all..............
Old 17 January 2010, 20:32   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Second answer then- If you want a good dry stack with people that care about your boat then Southampton Dry Stack have been brilliant. They offer inside warehouse and outside stacks

http://www.southamptondrystack.co.uk/
Old 18 January 2010, 07:43   #3

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
again southampton drystack, they are cheaper than moorings, but also think about the bonus of having your boat ashore until you need it, no anti foul for one, can't get it nicked from a rack, no need for trailer maintenance, no parking problems, get it wash everytime, shall i go on!
Old 18 January 2010, 07:52   #4

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Lewy has his BananaShark 770 in Southampton Dry Stack and loves it, they are courteous and organised, Drivers next door launch you from your trailer and would be cheaper I would imagine, also great people and they are all eager to please.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 08:25   #5

Seems everyone loves it. Thanks for the replies.

Before I call the various places - any ideas on costs?
Old 18 January 2010, 12:26   #6

Town: Southampton
Make: Stingher & Redbay
Length: 9m +
Once again I would recommend Southampton Dry Stack.
I have a company based at the Southampton Dry Stack called MRL.
We are the importers of Stingher, Predator and Redbay Ribs and were the first people to use the Dry Stack back in 2006.
I have all my boats delivered here and have never had one damaged in all that time.
As well as my own demonstration RIBs there are circa of 25 of my customers RIBs in the Dry Stack and all of them seem very happy with the service that they get.
As previously mentioned the advantages of keeping a boat in the dry stack really do make sense.
Security, ease of use, no antifoul, cleaned for you, your boats residual sale value is higher, and Mark Bleeker of MB Marine is less than a mile away to sort out any servicing issues for Mercury, Suzuki and Honda engines.
Why would you want to go anywhere else.
Give it a try.

Regards

Edward Pedley - MRL
Old 18 January 2010, 13:03   #7

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
again southampton drystack, they are cheaper than moorings, but also think about the bonus of having your boat ashore until you need it, no anti foul for one, can't get it nicked from a rack, no need for trailer maintenance, no parking problems, get it wash everytime, shall i go on!
I second this as well having kept two ribs at Southampton Dry Stack. You cannot find a better bunch of people there. as for service it is: FIRST CLASS
Old 18 January 2010, 14:17   #8

Length: 10m +
I can not recommend Southampton Dry Stack highly enough.

As for benefits over Marina berthing; its is significanlty better - as far as I am aware, there is no limit as to how many times the boats can be lifted in or out of the water in a day so if you're trialling or going out for a short period of time, you have no worries. Its also good for working on boats or preparing them for transport. Plus it means you're not sat in a marina constantly. You're litterally out of the water in seconds once you're on the Bull.

All of the guys are great and really helpful.
Old 18 January 2010, 15:07   #9

Thanks all.

What a great forum.

Called SDS for pricing etc etc - the RIB will be going there.

Now to sort the rest, like which one to buy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18 January 2010, 15:21   #10

Make: Stingher & Redbay
Length: 9m +
Your very welcome to come and try any of my range of Ribs, whether it be the Predator, Stingher or Redbay at Southampton dry stack and see how it works at the same time.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Ribs whether your looking for a nice family Rib, a fast good looking family orientated Rib, or a more traditional commercial style Rib, we are bound to have something that suits between the three ranges.

Have a look on the Website www.mrl-uk.com

Give me a call if you want to come down on 023 8033 5333

Regards

Ed - MRL
Old 18 January 2010, 17:33   #11

Town: Dorset
Make: Waiting To Buy
Yes again Southampton Dry Stack I still cant belive how friendly they are. They even help me fuel up my Rib with cans.

Ive only just joined so I would recommend it as being the best or should I say one of the best.

I did enquire at a few other places but am very happy that Ed sold me this place

Steve
Old 18 January 2010, 20:14   #12

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Lewy has his BananaShark 770 in Southampton Dry Stack and loves it, they are courteous and organised, Drivers next door launch you from your trailer and would be cheaper I would imagine, also great people and they are all eager to please.
Drivers are great, always very helpful, but a different service to the full drystack experience.

You don't need a trailer, they will store on blocks, use a boat lifter to manoevre to the crane, then crane in.

I stick to Drivers, as I can't guarantee I'll use it enough to pay for an unlimited launch service, Drivers charge for storage, then every launch and recovery combo separately (you can also leave it in the water a few days in a row to save on this cost if planning on going out within a couple of days of the first launch. Call Gill for prices, or Gareth for a general chat.
www.dryberthing.com
Old 18 January 2010, 20:55   #13

Neil, your pm box is full

nm
Old 19 January 2010, 11:37   #14

Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
dry stacking a rib

Dead impressed with this topic.
I don't think there is anything like that in my area.

For a new boat that requires no annual repairs it's a fantastic idea.
Just read the details on there website and it's 100%

I keep mine at home lucky as i have a bit of room to do it and it stays under a covered carport.

It also has a cover on it.
Work a little bit on it from time to time getting ready for the start of the new season now.
But if I was not as fortunate to have some room I would have liked to have had dry storage.
Old 19 January 2010, 18:36   #15

EdPed

I am planning on visiting a number of dry stack locations this Saturday.

If you're around I'll pop by.
Old 20 January 2010, 15:35   #16

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
I have my RIB at KB Boatyard on the Camber, a great team of people....

Last year was my first with a RIB and I have to say that the dry stack system really works well, we phone about an hour before we want to go and the boat is in the water when we arrive. Having read so much about boats being either vandalised or stolen, it's a weight off the mind to know it's safe.

I think costs are around £2k a year - not sure how that compares.
Old 01 July 2010, 08:54   #17

Town: winchester
Southampton dry stack - too perfect?

We had our rib at Southampton dry stack 2 years ago, and had very few issues with the friendly staff and service. The fact that it could have some with some with showers, and the rust from the next door scrap yard does seem to coat boats in a layer of grime, was minor inconveniences.
However unforeseen circumstances meant that unfortunately we had to sell the rib very quickly, and having been a fully paid up member annually to the facility, we were shocked to discover that although we had only used 6 months of our membership, we were only entitled to a refund if they found another boat to take over our spot. Of course they never did....... and perhaps never wanted to (only opting to fill empty spaces first)?
The fact being, that had we paid on a monthly basis (instead of paying everything up front), we could have stopped the direct debits instantly and If they had been accommodating with the situation, then we would have gone straight back to them 1 year later, with our new bigger rib. The fact that they choose this attitude to deal with the situation, meant that I cannot recommend them, and I would not use them again.
Old 01 July 2010, 16:35   #18

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rib-eaver View Post
We had our rib at Southampton dry stack 2 years ago, and had very few issues with the friendly staff and service. The fact that it could have some with some with showers, and the rust from the next door scrap yard does seem to coat boats in a layer of grime, was minor inconveniences.
However unforeseen circumstances meant that unfortunately we had to sell the rib very quickly, and having been a fully paid up member annually to the facility, we were shocked to discover that although we had only used 6 months of our membership, we were only entitled to a refund if they found another boat to take over our spot. Of course they never did....... and perhaps never wanted to (only opting to fill empty spaces first)?
The fact being, that had we paid on a monthly basis (instead of paying everything up front), we could have stopped the direct debits instantly and If they had been accommodating with the situation, then we would have gone straight back to them 1 year later, with our new bigger rib. The fact that they choose this attitude to deal with the situation, meant that I cannot recommend them, and I would not use them again.
I don't know Southampton dry stack, but normally hear good reports about them.

I guess if you've signed a 12 month contract with them, then they will hold you to that contract. It would be hard to run a business like that if customers are allowed to hop in and out of contractual arrangements.
Old 01 July 2010, 16:51   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rib-eaver View Post
The fact being, that had we paid on a monthly basis (instead of paying everything up front), we could have stopped the direct debits instantly
In breach of your contract perhaps?

My business lets "space over time" for contracted periods. I'm fed up with clients (who's contracts I'm legally obliged to honour, come what may) crying about how their circumstances have changed and they want their money back. Generally I give 'em a credit note and say "see you later".

Possibly the dry stack should have done something similar.
Old 01 July 2010, 17:35   #20

Im at Cobbs Quay Dry Stack in Poole, very friendly service and no tide issues to deal with, good facilities on site, cafe, shop, showers/toilets and marine services on site. Easy to get to.