Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 10 June 2004, 10:21   #1

RIB specific technical Jacket - help please

Hi all,
I'm looking into the possibility of developing a technical jacket aimed specifically at RIB users. I'm currently trying to find out how much interest there would be in such a product. Also, what specific features/functions would you like to see on such a garment. Any help,feedback or information that you can provide me with would be much appreciated.
thankyou
chris stephens
Old 10 June 2004, 10:29   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Welcome to RIBnet Chris.

Sounds like a great idea. It would need to have loads of pockets (perhaps some like the elasticated netting type ones you get on rucksacks) for holding all the important stuff like h/h VHF, flares, etc and also the absolute essentials such as sandwiches, chocolate and soft drink.

Looking forward to seeing it in the chandler's!!

Louise
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2004, 10:32   #3

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
maybe one geared around safety boat work would be handie.
pocket for hand held radio (of course based on an Icom )
place for a crew knife and other handie gadgets.
with built in bouancy and crotch straps.
Built in "D" ring

oh yeah and a big thing.....it needs to be cheep!!

regards
Old 10 June 2004, 11:02   #4

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Been thinkin the same thing

Got roasted at Plymouth in a divers drysuit so am interested in a better solution myself. Neck seals and wrist seals would be a big plus, I'd make it short so it doesnt get in the way seated.
Old 10 June 2004, 11:42   #5

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
No IMHO it has to be a jacket that can be zipped on and off easy.

My requirements would be as follows:

Deep shaped pockets for VHF, hand or mini flares,food etc preferably out of the way on the hip, which also need to be dry, these also need to be zipped up so not to lose keys etc.
Hand warmer pockets.
Internal pocket large enough to hold a chart and small internal pocket for sundry items like keys, mobile phone etc
Good quality hood (not the crappy things that slip over your eyes)
Good wrist and neck sealing (not dry cuffs though)
Jacket has to be breathable and have a fleece inside, prefer it if the fleece zipped out for warmer wearing conditions etc.

At the moment my biggest problem is my handheld VHF, i dont like having it hung around my kneck and i dont trust the clips they supply with them to keep it attached to me, if its clipped to the life jacket strap it gets in the way when i try and move around, yet if i'm thrown out of the boat and alone its going to be the first thing i wished i'd had with me !!
Old 10 June 2004, 11:55   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
You would need to arrange the pockets so that you can still get to them with a lifejacket on over the top.

How about some way of attaching the lifejacket to the coat for ease of use?

John
Old 10 June 2004, 11:57   #7

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi folks

Agree with Simon on nexk & wrist seals,but they need to be neoprean and not rubber/latex as they are more comfortable for extend wearing.

Also a few other points,

Dont like built in bouyancy, too warm in summer & bulky, a shell would be better so you can vary what you wear under it depending on conditions.
Drain holes in all pockets.
Pouch type pocket on front.
Maybe use dryzips as I have not found another zip yet that didnt let water in when its gets really bad. Either that for normal zips and baffled, but this would mean a over the head approch.
reflective tape on cuffs & top of jacket, say neck & shoulders, being round the bottom when your in the water us useless.
Neoprean waist seal to limit water ingress if you go in.

The closest I have seen to date are the good dinghy tops but they do lack pockets etc.

Regards Gary
Old 10 June 2004, 12:04   #8

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Garygee.... So what your really after then is either a dry cag or a dry suit with extra pockets, i'm sure there's lots of manufacturers about who would willingly add additional pockets where ever you wanted them.....!!

Dry suits and foul weather wear have there uses and your choice will depend on what sort of boating you do and what size boat your in, and of course time of year etc.

What i could do with right now is a pocket specifically made to take a handheld vhf longways thats niether in the way of my life jacket or anything else on board the boat !!
Old 10 June 2004, 12:16   #9

Town: le palais
Boat name: agnhélie
Make: narwhal
Length: 6.7
Engine: YAMAHA 115 4 STROKES
i used to wear a jacket with fleece inside ,like a normal jaccket but inside and you had acces to it by the sleeves there was a lifejacket;if you were to fall in the water you would pull the front pocket and it was inflated ;great that idea to wear a normal jacket like any days and being safe
the life jacket could be pull out so you could wash your jacket in the machine
these garment was develloped by a fisherman in alaska who once neazrly died after having falled in the water
to that great idea i would had pocket for vhf and a little flare as well as fluorescin
Old 10 June 2004, 12:21   #10

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
lifejackets

Good idea to develop such and for sure there can be a large input from the forum. There are however a lot of lifejackets around and this particular one from International Safety Products / Typhoon International has a lot of pockets mind you for uses not necessary by a ribster
The inflatable 275N stole is well positioned and does not get in the way when wanting to grab a Mars bar or a soft drink .

Jon and a pocket for a radio how about that

Andre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tacti_1.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	6427  
Old 10 June 2004, 12:26   #11

Me thinks a design is coming on!

Dry suits are very good for seriously heavy seas and imersion; RNLI men and women leaping off their boats, the limitation is the boil in the bag syndrome if work is carried out if they were great you struggle to get all the Yachties out of theirs and they'd be as cheap as chips.

I prefer neoprene for a seal its more comfy and lasts longer but is more expensive to repair/replace. Has anyone considered EPIRB stowage yet? The paradox is making something waterproof that can be vented (cycling gear has this sort of system under the arms) Dry zips have come down in cost and bulk greatly and are even used in "wet" suits now.

Simon.
Old 10 June 2004, 12:43   #12

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
Good idea to develop such and for sure there can be a large input from the forum. There are however a lot of lifejackets around and this particular one from International Safety Products / Typhoon International has a lot of pockets mind you for uses not necessary by a ribster
The inflatable 275N stole is well positioned and does not get in the way when wanting to grab a Mars bar or a soft drink .

Jon and a pocket for a radio how about that

Andre
I want one of those!!

Where do i place an order?

Thats Mr Gadget sorted!

Pockets for everything, VHF, PLB, GPS, Leatherman, flares, Mars Bar, small children Diet Coke, a small 3rd wolrd country and it looks like a few 9mm mags for good measure!!!

Regards
Old 10 June 2004, 12:57   #13

Jon,

Engine spares pockets!

Simon.
Old 10 June 2004, 13:10   #14
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
I think combine... motorbike jacket i.e pockets everywhere and muilti layerd, for winter/ summer use and good sailing jacket
Old 10 June 2004, 15:13   #15

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
HAs any one considered the type type of material that this jacket may be made of? Wind proof, water proof, dry suit type?, BC type (but lighter fabric) like diving BCs?
Actually IMHO I think the latter may be more usefull as it may not only sell in the UK but it may become popular also in other warmer places of the World too
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2004, 18:01   #16

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Interesting thread...

We tend to go out in all weathers so my wish list for a foul weather jacket would include:

Breathable waterproof fabric.
Removabe fleece lining, so you can have one jacket for winter & summer.
Pockets you can get to with life jacket on - including sleeves & perhaps at small of the back like a photographers waiscoat?
Non waterproof EPIRB pocket.
High , fleece lined, collar.
High visability colours, or strips.
Sealed wrist bands.
Able to be folded away into a small bag.
Sturdy D rings.

If you need any inspiration a Musto MPX or HPX Offshore jacket would be a good starting point. All our crew have these jackets and they are superb. The only drawback is they are so expensive - I bought mine second hand on Ebay.

In addition to the jacket you could also consider:

Matching trousers/salopets - & don't forget people need to go to the toilet without taking them off!

Water proof & fleece lined gloves with grippy inserst for hoding on in rough seas.

A fleece lined waterproof cap with fold down ear flaps and chin strap.

A neoprene type balaclava for wearing with goggles. This might look a bit Special Boat Squadron, but cold rain really hurts the face at anything over 30knts! If this is too extreme how about a face mask similar to those used at paint ball events?

Finally how about getting hold of some waterproof boots similar to those sold by Dubarry. These are excellent but at about £160 a pair too expensive for me.

Then all you need to do is sort out the quality control, some snappy marketing to make us all buy into the brand & a low price. Easy really!

Good luck with your venture and if you need any feedback on your prototypes I'm sure you will find plenty of volunteers on this forum who will test them to the limit.
Old 11 June 2004, 08:44   #17

hello again and thankyou for my warm welcome!
Thankyou to all of you who have repsonded as thats exactly the sort of information I was hoping for. Please, keep it coming!
have a very good weekend all
chris
Old 11 June 2004, 09:52   #18

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
All things to all Ribstas...

Mmm? Properties for a “RIB specific” jacket? Now that’s easy….

1) It must be as macho as possible for all us “rufty-tufty” ribsters, but must be completely reversible for casual wear should we wimp out and go by ferry.
2) The pockets must be HUGE to accommodate all those spares, gizmos and gadgets much loved by ribster types.
3) Must be very streamlined so as not to affect our 90 knot top speed with our 50 horse motor whilst still doing 5 miles to the litre.
4) Should have an inflatable collar around the waist to avoid damaging anything we might bump into.
5) Should be clearly labelled “All Weather” on the outside with letters large enough for the blindest of hard boaters to see.
6) At least one pocket big enough to carry a 10 litre can of spare fuel.
7) Should cause an instant debate on the subject of “whose jacket is best/fastest/toughest
8) Needs to be compatible with all makes of GPS systems.
9) Looking like a “Christmas tree” is a definite bonus……..
10) Above all it has to be cheap……..
Old 11 June 2004, 11:04   #19

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
But what about the neck, should it be a deep V or a medium v?

Maybe a med style version in blue and white stripes.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2004, 13:38   #20

" It must be as macho as possible for all us “rufty-tufty” ribsters, but must be completely reversible for casual wear should we wimp out and go by ferry "

Funny you should joke about that Jono...one of my questions is whether you folks would rather go for pure functionality for on the water, or would you rather something that can be worn as a semi-casual item as well...not a fashion item to wear to the pub or anything, but more something that you might keep in the car and throw on for general use as well?

Chris