Old 28 September 2022, 12:27   #1

Rib recommendations

I have a Hobie kayak which is pretty nice, comfy and moveable on my own but I'm now thinking of adding a small(ish) rib to my armoury. Something that'd comfortably fit 2 people and a very small(light) amount of fishing gear for the day.
Probably just for on the rivers over autumn/winter, but if it's light enough for me to hump about on my own, then it'd be nice to take it to sea too. Only going a few miles out on calm days.
What would be your suggestions? Not got a huge budget, but quite happy to buy used.

Much appreciated for any Ideas/suggestions.

👍
Old 28 September 2022, 13:35   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi and welcome.

Do you actually mean a RIB ie: hard hull, inflatable tubes, mostly trailered?

or

Do you mean a SIB ie: soft hull, fully inflatable, usually transported rolled up in the back of a car?
Old 28 September 2022, 14:36   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi and welcome.

Do you actually mean a RIB ie: hard hull, inflatable tubes, mostly trailered?

or

Do you mean a SIB ie: soft hull, fully inflatable, usually transported rolled up in the back of a car?

Either way, if the OP does a quick search of the forum, it will bring plenty of starting info, and go from there.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 15:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Either way, if the OP does a quick search of the forum, it will bring plenty of starting info, and go from there.
Very true, but it's always nice to have a guiding hand, especially if you're new to the world of forums as I was.
Old 28 September 2022, 16:56   #5

Thanks for the replies gents.

I had looked at a few models while just browsing what was available and saw both the Hydrus and the Honwave ones which looked good. I like the idea of a solid floor but didn't know quite how much extra faff it would be to set up,or additional weight it'd make the craft.
I think I'm looking at a sib rather than my previous mentioning of a rib.
I don't plan on trailoring it due to no storage facility for it, so fitting it in the boot of the car with all the other bits is the way I'd have to go.
I'll do some forum reading and see if I can find any previous posts that are similar to what I've asked here.

Thanks again ��
Old 28 September 2022, 17:52   #6

I think you will struggle to find any info on the forum about the Hydrus but there will be loads of info about Honwave and Excel. I listed what I wanted/needed from a SIB and matched it to the specs of each sib I was interested in, then narrowed down the selection.
Old 29 September 2022, 06:23   #7

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
If packing up after each use then air deck def makes sense. If it is mostly just you then a honwave t32 is a good option. If you are taking more kit/ people then a t38 would suit but they are quite heavy to lift into a car boot on your own. A nice light 2 stroke 15hp will pair well with either honwave
Old 29 September 2022, 08:21   #8

I'm liking the look of the Honwave. I'll look at specs and see what the weight difference is between the 32 and 38. If it's negligible then I'd rather have the extra space and suffer a bit extra weight.
Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.
Old 29 September 2022, 09:31   #9

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
You said in your first post for sea use 'Only going a few miles out on calm days'.
Having run a couple of small (12' ish) hardboats over the years I'd suggest that if that is your intention you'd be better looking at a bigger rib.
IME what can look nice & calm as you're leaving the shore/harbour can be very different as you get further out & more exposed & conditions can change all too quickly.
Going out with wind, tide & wave can be fine, but turning round to get back against them can be a very different matter.
Old 29 September 2022, 10:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
I'm liking the look of the Honwave. I'll look at specs and see what the weight difference is between the 32 and 38. If it's negligible then I'd rather have the extra space and suffer a bit extra weight.
Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.
Take your time deciding, the way things are with the economy, prices and choice will be in your favour. IMO a lot of hardly used SIBs and OBs will be sold over the winter
If it's at all possible try a view whatever you think you'd like, as seeing things in the flesh is completely different to forming an opinion from pictures and specs.
When I was looking, I thought I wanted a Honwave T38 as they are a very good SIB, but when I saw it I knew it wasn't right for me. Then I thought I wanted an SD390, but at the time it was far too big and heavy for me to handle. Settled on an SD360, which for the way I use my sib was the best compromise.
Another thing to consider is what sib and outboard will work best for you, especially if lifting weight is an issue. I believe a T38 works well with anything 10hp and above. I know I'd be disappointed with performance if I had anything less than a 15hp on the back of my SD360.
Old 29 September 2022, 10:18   #11

My biggest factor with any craft is 'where will I store it' secondly will be weight and 'can I move it on my own'.
My kayak once loaded up is around 45kg, being 13ft, it's not heavy as such, more awkward. I fish the Essex coastline and will only get afloat on sub 10mph onshore days, which is quite limiting with the UK weather most of the year.
I'll use it on rivers September til march and then the sea after that.
For my kayak launches, I park around 200yds away from the beach so can comfortably wheel my kayak to the waters edge, but I'm aware of the size/weight of a sub will dictate that I probably have to alter where I park and launch from. Instead of Frinton on sea, I'd maybe have to launch from West mersea.
The craft needs to fit in my golf and be set up when I get where I'm fishing. Storagewise it'd have to be kept folded up in the shed. My kayak sits on racks in the garden.
I've sea kayak fished for many years so know all to well about the changing conditions we get at sea, I wouldn't go out in much worse conditions in a sib than I do in the kayak.
Old 29 September 2022, 10:27   #12

RIBase
Rib recommendations

Quote:
My biggest factor with any craft is 'where will I store it' secondly will be weight and 'can I move it on my own'.
….I wouldn't go out in much worse conditions in a sib than I do in the kayak.

Personally I don’t think you’ll gain much from going to SIB from Kayak. Apart from the engine element.
I think by the time you’ve loaded the SIB & all the gubbins into your car at home, unloaded it at the beach, blown it up, launched it, deflated it, packed it up, loaded it back into the car, unloaded it at home, flushed the engine & stored it, you’ll be hankering for the simpler Kayak days. And that’s before you’ve thrown a chunk of money at buying the boat.
Just my opinion fwiw.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 29 September 2022, 10:31   #13

Out of curiosity, which of the Hobies have you got?

Chap I've known for some years holidays in Coverack in the summer (lives in Newquay) & has a kayak which is pretty well set-up for bassing. Outriggers as well for extra stability.
I do admit to sometimes being slightly envious as there is one particular small hotspot that I would have to try & anchor to stay on & he's got one of the electric motors mounted on the bow with the GPS lock so just sits there without any concern as to wind & tide direction!

Usually has his sons around but they also use kayaks - although bare bones only.

I presume you're looking at a boat so you can take someone else out with you.
Old 29 September 2022, 11:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Personally I don’t think you’ll gain much from going to SIB from Kayak. Apart from the engine element.
I think by the time you’ve loaded the SIB & all the gubbins into your car at home, unloaded it at the beach, blown it up, launched it, deflated it, packed it up, loaded it back into the car, unloaded it at home, flushed the engine & stored it, you’ll be hankering for the simpler Kayak days. And that’s before you’ve thrown a chunk of money at buying the boat.
Just my opinion fwiw.
I absolutely take this all onboard (no pun intended).

With the kayak, aside from humping it from the garden to the car and then topping, it's all quite straight forward, all that are the plus side to getting afloat on a kayak, and having peddles is a luxury over the standard paddle kayaks.
I think I was just thinking about the ability to fish further out, move to different areas easily and not take 45 minutes to peddle into a head wind and be knackered by the time I got there, the same for getting in a river, I could motor several miles up river in a matter of minutes.
The trade-off is set up time, clean down and storing it.

It's all food for thought, I really do appreciate the different angles of feedback 👍
Old 29 September 2022, 11:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Out of curiosity, which of the Hobies have you got?

Chap I've known for some years holidays in Coverack in the summer (lives in Newquay) & has a kayak which is pretty well set-up for bassing. Outriggers as well for extra stability.
I do admit to sometimes being slightly envious as there is one particular small hotspot that I would have to try & anchor to stay on & he's got one of the electric motors mounted on the bow with the GPS lock so just sits there without any concern as to wind & tide direction!

Usually has his sons around but they also use kayaks - although bare bones only.

I presume you're looking at a boat so you can take someone else out with you.
It's a revolution 13. Has the mirage drive peddles. It can cruise at 5mph if I'm just steady away but add a bit of chop and a head wind and you're down to 3mph and blowing out your backside.
It's set up with rod holders, sonar and a full anchory trolley system, it's a very comfy kayak, plus you stay dry due to the high up seated position.

I think I'm just looking for the ability to move areas quicker if the fishing's a bit naff,plus, as you mentioned, take a buddy with me.
We usually fish together in our kayaks but his back is playing up more and more so I just thought I'd take a look at the options of inflatable crafts. Mostly myself but occasionally my buddy.

I'll do a lot of reading up and see what I like the look of.
It probably wouldn't be a purchase until closer towards the year's end.

Thanks for your input too 👍
Old 29 September 2022, 12:12   #16

Think it was one of the bigger Hobies I saw at the Lurefest show at Ryton earlier this year.
Can't remember the model - other than it was big & white - but complete with all the bells & whistles, electric motor as above & a huge fishfinder/chartplotter which IIRC on its own was around £3k.
Very impressive.
Old 29 September 2022, 12:14   #17

RIBase
Quote:
It's a revolution 13. Has the mirage drive peddles. It can cruise at 5mph if I'm just steady away but add a bit of chop and a head wind and you're down to 3mph and blowing out your backside.

It's set up with rod holders, sonar and a full anchory trolley system, it's a very comfy kayak, plus you stay dry due to the high up seated position.

I think I'm just looking for the ability to move areas quicker if the fishing's a bit naff,plus, as you mentioned, take a buddy with me.

We usually fish together in our kayaks but his back is playing up more and more so I just thought I'd take a look at the options of inflatable crafts. Mostly myself but occasionally my buddy.

I'll do a lot of reading up and see what I like the look of.

It probably wouldn't be a purchase until closer towards the year's end.

Thanks for your input too [emoji106]

Have a search on the forum for the Elling SIBs, a few members have those & they are lightweight & easy to setup by all accounts.
Old 29 September 2022, 13:01   #18

Your car could be a factor in the size of sib you can go for. Take a look at the packed away size to make sure it fits in the back of your golf with an OB and all the other stuff you'll take.
Old 29 September 2022, 14:43   #19

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Your car could be a factor in the size of sib you can go for. Take a look at the packed away size to make sure it fits in the back of your golf with an OB and all the other stuff you'll take.

I’ve seen a Honwave T38 and engine, wheels etc etc in the back of a Volvo v40 and the back was full.
Old 30 September 2022, 05:10   #20

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I’ve seen a Honwave T38 and engine, wheels etc etc in the back of a Volvo v40 and the back was full.
Yeah the t38 is big even when packed up. I have one and it's fine for what I use it for, but if I was buying again I'd get the t32.

Someone else mentioned the elling 350. I agree that's a great option but the factory was in Ukraine so no new stock at the moment.

Tags
rib