Old 30 June 2013, 23:58   #1

Length: 4m +
Rib owners - i need your help !

Hi
my current zodiac inflatable is a future mk2 with speed tubes and 12.5 ft long.
I am interested in replacing it with a RIB of a SIMULAR SIZE if it will help my usage as outlined below:
I am looking for a light boat, such as a RIB or Livingston with a payload ( including engine) of approx. 500 lbs.
I need a real good hull design that will work better than my current boat in light chop / waves of about 2ft to 2.5ft. current zodiac pounds the H--- out of you with the above loading and sea conditions. it does not slice thru the waves at all!!!
I need a hull design with a smooth / smoother ride in these conditions
I NEED your experiences in these kind of conditions with your RIB and what you would recommend PLEASE!
THANKS
Old 01 July 2013, 00:04   #2

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
A 4m Searider would be good, do you have any Avon SR4's where you are that you could try?
Old 01 July 2013, 00:21   #3

I am in british Columbia, Canada and I imagine the avons are here.
please keep the advice / ideas coming
Old 01 July 2013, 14:35   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I suspect Avon's may be a little scarce in your area. You're more likely to find Zodiac's, AB's, and a few others. Not saying there aren't many Avon's; they don't seem to come up for sale as much.

That said, I've seen more small boats listed through sailing circles (check your local marina for tenders being sold. Don't know if Latitude 38 covers up north, but it may be worth a look if the magazine makes it up there.) Craigslist seems to be kind of spotty on smaller stuff (though the occasional gem does show up.)

Luck;

jky
Old 02 July 2013, 00:03   #5

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
if you want light look at the alloy hull ribs that are about , some have a very good v and will give you a very good ride and power to wieght , xpro ribe eye and another make i can't recall the name of mentions in the inflatable section recently , they all appear to have similar hulls and wiegh under 100kg
Old 02 July 2013, 00:18   #6

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Check 3D tender ribs if available in Canada. Well made and priced right with lots of equipment to add.

Happy Boating
Old 02 July 2013, 08:01   #7

I think the 3d tender is x pro also check highfield ribs . having had a look at all of them they seem to have the same alloy hulls from , probably a chinese factory building the hulls . The rib eye i have doesn't appear to have little flat section where the bow meets the tubes and its a 440 not a 420 so maybe thats why . everything else about the hull looks identical evn down to the non slip strips on the deck and the transom pad etc
the xpro have more rope handles and fitings etc on the tubes which i would have prefferred
i can cetainly recomend the way it goes and handles
Old 04 July 2013, 09:59   #8

Length: 5m +
I bought a Highfield 460 with Honda BF50 recently and am very impressed with the ride. Have been out in choppy F4/F5 so far and the ride is softer than both the Valiant DR490 and Avon ribs I've owned previously. The Bow rides a little high forcing a bit extra trim down, but other than that no complaints. Very keen pricing too...
Old 04 July 2013, 13:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
I bought a Highfield 460 with Honda BF50 recently and am very impressed with the ride. Have been out in choppy F4/F5 so far and the ride is softer than both the Valiant DR490 and Avon ribs I've owned previously. The Bow rides a little high forcing a bit extra trim down, but other than that no complaints. Very keen pricing too...
Ditto , i used to own a valiant 490 and the slightly smaller rib eye i have now is quite a lot better ride and handling . I put some of it down to the tiller steer and lighter engine i favour and the ability to sit well back and add wieght forward but as you say i think they are just a good hull shape that isn't getting noticed as they get marketed as tenders because of their light wieght .
Old 04 July 2013, 20:33   #10

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Those 3D Tenders X Pro & Highfield low shallow hull ribs made in Asia have a nice water ride, need less HP engine to fly compared to same size pro ribs which have heavier deeper V hulls, needing larger HP engines to get the most fun out of them. Both brands are well priced alternatives if being on a tight budget. Won't be dissapointed with any of them.

Well trimed, even sitting way back transom, driving like a upgraded gondolier, the rib planes near instant due to their light overall weight and excellent hull shape design.

Happy Boating
Old 04 July 2013, 21:11   #11

Length: 5m +
Not too sure about shallow hull, believe mine has a 24degree dead rise, but other than that i agree with you, less HP needed for fun.
Old 04 July 2013, 21:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Those 3D Tenders X Pro & Highfield low shallow hull ribs made in Asia have a nice water ride, need less HP engine to fly compared to same size pro ribs which have heavier deeper V hulls, needing larger HP engines to get the most fun out of them. Both brands are well priced alternatives if being on a tight budget. Won't be dissapointed with any of them.

Well trimed, even sitting way back transom, driving like a upgraded gondolier, the rib planes near instant due to their light overall weight and excellent hull shape design.

Happy Boating
The reason fopr the good ride is they have quite a deep v for a small hull . Highfield actually quote the deadrise at 24 degrees on the larger models . Its much deeper and wider than my old glass hulled rib made by Lodestar

Tags
rib