Old 08 November 2015, 19:15   #1

Rib or polyethylene replacement for sib

I've been weighing up my options for upgrading my Honwave Sib possibly at the beginning of next season.
I can afford a replacement vessel at the moment but propelling it is a bit of a headache.
I was hoping my short shaft 5 year old 20hp Twatsoo 4 stroke which I've owned from new could act as propulsion for a year until I upgrade to a 30hp electric start longshaft on a tiller.
I've been looking at Whaly 435 and the Funyak 390.
I think both of these would be ideal for my needs.
I'm gonna have a look at both boats in the coming weeks and weigh up my options.

There's potential for me to get a Funyak this coming season if it is compatible with my short shaft twatsu - I think the wooden board / transom will need chopping down 5 inches or so to accommodate it tho.

However I'm not sure if the short shaft enginewill compromise the boats performance? Also the tiller may be too close to the floor for comfortable operation and there's the risk of splashing over the transom.
I've emailed Mortons funyak dealer and I'm awaiting a response on this query.

I've seen one in action this year and was very impressed with it.
Question is how much better are these rigid indestructible plastic skiffs than a Sib.
And how do they stack up against a small Rib?
Pros / Cons???
I am all but sold on the idea of a Polyethylene boat due to their robustness, ability to beach land without worrying about gel coat or bursting an air floor etc and general ease of maintenance.
Old 08 November 2015, 19:22   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Not the worst idea ever. Are you considering a NEW polyboat?

What I mean is, if they're THAT indestructible, then you could buy a well old one and upgrade the engine with the excess funds...

...just sayin' is all
Old 08 November 2015, 19:40   #3

Yep that's what I'm thinking plastic fantastic ☺.
They are rare as hens teeth second hand tho.
There's one for sale in Devon - 1000 mile round trip for me.
I'm defo considering buying a 2nd hand boat - I've placed more importance on a new/ newer engine.
I will probably go for new 4 stroke again as my Tohatsu 20hp has been faultless.
I may keep the Honwave another year then upgrade both boat and engine in 2017.
Old 08 November 2015, 20:31   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
What I mean is, if they're THAT indestructible, then you could buy a well old one and upgrade the engine with the excess funds...
They only appear very rarely on the 2nd hand market. Why is that? First there aren't that many around (relatively new concept in UK). Second those that are bought are often used as club rescue boats, workboats, etc and thus simply driven until they die - which they don't? Third would a used one be that much less (they sell used so infrequently the value is a bit of an unknown) than a new one (the hull itself is not that expensive, the costs are when you add extras)?

However if he buys a funyak and wants a bit of a tatty bench seat for it, then I have one going cheap - following my jockey upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
There's potential for me to get a Funyak this coming season if it is compatible with my short shaft twatsu - I think the wooden board / transom will need chopping down 5 inches or so to accommodate it tho.
I'd worry slightly about that, your engine won't be light (especially if you upgrade to 30), tiller steering your weight will be aft, and my gut tells me that a full 5" would see water coming over the back too often in some conditions.

I wonder if you'll need to go to 30HP though? I'd like more horses (wouldn't we all!) and I'd also like power trim - but I've managed about 10yrs with 20HP 2 stroke, usually with 2 adults on board (and often 2 kids), 2 anchors, a load of crap I don't need, enough fuel to last for days and a heavy console etc. If it was one man, one anchor, no console and minimal kit I would say 20HP is more than adequate. The only time I've thought it was lacking a bit was when a certain Irishman invaded with enough kit to start a colony!

Quote:
I've emailed Mortons funyak dealer and I'm awaiting a response on this query.
Just so you know there is a dealer in Inverness too. His website is ropey (390 rib style boat), and he is a one man band doing various things rather than the more professional outfit Mortons are. He was actually the first person importing Funyaks in the UK. He is unlikely to have much of a stock - but he *may* be able to point you to someone with a 390/short shaft tiller combo relatively local to talk to?

Of course the idea would be Mortons say they have a s/shaft demo boat and you can drop your twatsu on it to see how it goes.
Old 08 November 2015, 20:55   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
...was when a certain Irishman invaded with enough kit to start a colony!
Dál Riata II

We'll be back!
Old 08 November 2015, 21:23   #6

Thanks for that comprehensive reply Poly.
You may well be right that a 20hp engine is enough - just fancy a bit more oomph.
Yours certainly looked lively enough with the yamaha 20hp - despite being loaded 2 up and carrying everything including the kitchen sink 😊
I'll give the Inverness boy a call tomorrow and see what he reckons on a short shaft.
Still keen on the Whaly 435 too.
It's a bit bigger and potentially could take myself and my old man and my mate fishing?
Don't know whether you reckon there is enough room in a 390 for 3 guys to comfortably go fishing?
Old 08 November 2015, 21:56   #7
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Still keen on the Whaly 435 too.
It's a bit bigger and potentially could take myself and my old man and my mate fishing?
Don't know whether you reckon there is enough room in a 390 for 3 guys to comfortably go fishing?
The Whaly looks good. I'd want to at least see one and ideally try one as it looks flatter bottomed but thats hard to say in pic/video.

I'm not much of a fisher-person, so its difficult to say how much space you need. Without the console in it - then (like most boats!) it certainly seems much bigger.

Possible - but cosy?

Those lateral benches / lockers are completely removable but do leave a funny indent in the plastic (Whaly have done a much prettier job of their 'indents')!
Old 09 November 2015, 07:28   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
reading power boat and rib new to me smart wave 3500 or 4200 distributor river lake sea in portrush River Lake Sea | River Lake Sea
Old 09 November 2015, 08:01   #9

Unless I'm mistaken then 3500/4200 are pretty much like "normal" boats rather than RIBs. What I *think* kaman is looking for is something that handles like a RIB but can be abused like a tractor. The Funyak/Whaley options he's looking at have tubes (they just are solid plastic rather than hypalon) and so if you try and roll the boat sideways the tube resists the roll as it would on a RIB. That gives you inherent stability. The 3500 has sides rather than tubes. The sides have air in them I think but the physics aren't as good as a tube.
Old 09 November 2015, 09:11   #10

Had a look at the Smart Waves and whilst I think the 4200 looks cracking I am looking for something a bit more Rib like.
Spoke to Mortons - they have altered numerous Funyak 390's over the years to take a short shaft engines - apparently there are no ill effects to performance after 4 - 5 inches are chopped from the wooden transom board .
They can have one ready to rock by the end of the week on an indespension trailer ready to drop my Twatsu 20hp onto????????
Hmmmmm.
Decisions decisions?
Old 09 November 2015, 22:00   #11

Town: Kerry
Boat name: Independence
Engine: Honda BF10
Hi,
I bought a used Fun yak 450 last year after many months of looking for a 390, there was a couple of red ones for sale but they fade even in what little sun we get around these parts

I rented a whaly 435 to see what it was like as well, here's may 2 cents anyway...

Fun yak 390, looks great, very nimble, probably a lot easier to launch/ recover

Whaly 435, loads of room, very stable, sides higher than the 390 so you'll probably stay a bit dryer in a chop, slightly heavier

Fun yak 450, boat shape instead of rib effect, a lot heavier but a very stable confidence inspiring tub, high front and sides, rarely get wet unless I plough into a biggish wave, needs at least 30hp though, she needs a good few rpm to plane but once up half throttle keeps it there, got nearly 40 km/h at wot

Good luck :-)

Cheers
Noel

Mobile
Old 10 November 2015, 08:00   #12

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
Smartwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
reading power boat and rib new to me smart wave 3500 or 4200 distributor river lake sea in portrush River Lake Sea | River Lake Sea
I second that. I bought my Smartwave 4800cc from Ivan at river Lake Sea last year. great guy to deal with and very helpful.
Love my 4800cc, very stable and lots of room for fishing. Changing my Mariner 60 efi for a Yam 60 very soon. The 60 pushes her to +/- 38mph in a flat calm 2 up with fishing gear anchor etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0018.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	109654  
Old 10 November 2015, 08:27   #13

Cheers guys for the replies.
Still milling things over just now.
Got the funds to go for a new Funyak 390 and trailer just now.
I would have to get the transom cut to accept my Tohatsu on a tiller tho.
Thinking it may be best to wait a while as it my 40th next year.
Got the excuse then to go for a bigger hp long shaft engine with console etc with all the trimmings rather than going half arsed at it just now.
It's going to have to last me a while.
Hmmmmm?
Old 10 November 2015, 09:21   #14

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Cheers guys for the replies.
Still milling things over just now.
Got the funds to go for a new Funyak 390 and trailer just now.
I would have to get the transom cut to accept my Tohatsu on a tiller tho.
Thinking it may be best to wait a while as it my 40th next year.
Got the excuse then to go for a bigger hp long shaft engine with console etc with all the trimmings rather than going half arsed at it just now.
It's going to have to last me a while.
Hmmmmm?
It's your gig & your money, but personally there's no way would I be taking a saw to a new boat. You'll ruin any resale value (just look at the threads on here, where people are looking at second hand boats & the advice they get when it turns out that the transom has been "Altered") If the Twatsoo doesn't fit, sell it & buy one that does, failing that, buy a boat that fits your engine. Otherwise you will end up with the bastard offspring of a pox doctors clerk.
Just IMHO of course
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 09:28   #15

RIBase
the guy at Morton boats is a twatsu dealer can the leg be lengthened ?
Old 10 November 2015, 10:13   #16

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The thing I would say re cutting the transom on a Funyak 390 is that it appears to just be a slab of ply bolted to the outside of the stern.

If I wanted to do such a thing I'd unbolt it to keep for eventual resale and copy with a bit of marine ply which could be cut as needed.

http://www.wanaboat.fr/uploads/photo...0042010588.jpg
Old 10 November 2015, 10:24   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
The thing I would say re cutting the transom on a Funyak 390 is that it appears to just be a slab of ply bolted to the outside of the stern.

If I wanted to do such a thing I'd unbolt it to keep for eventual resale and copy with a bit of marine ply which could be cut as needed.

http://www.wanaboat.fr/uploads/photo...0042010588.jpg
just out of interest just had a look and your right David its a bolt on ply transom with no detriment to the hull plastic, good idea that you might get a bit of splash back but that could be sorted with a rubber defector.
Old 10 November 2015, 10:29   #18

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I must admit I appreciate the poly boat benefits. Cousin took a small one as a tender on a sailing adventure from UK to West Africa... it went through all sorts over many months away but arrived home OK
Old 10 November 2015, 10:44   #19

RIBase
i don't live far from Morton boats nice gent, he supplies the environment agency with boats and kit, i run diving works for the EA and believe me they only have good [safe kit] looking at the boat in more detail i can see why kaman likes it, the 390 is quite a big boat plenty of scope and maintenance free.
Old 10 November 2015, 11:22   #20
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It's your gig & your money, but personally there's no way would I be taking a saw to a new boat. You'll ruin any resale value (just look at the threads on here, where people are looking at second hand boats & the advice they get when it turns out that the transom has been "Altered") If the Twatsoo doesn't fit, sell it & buy one that does, failing that, buy a boat that fits your engine. Otherwise you will end up with the bastard offspring of a pox doctors clerk.
Just IMHO of course
Ordinarily I would agree. As someone else has commented though complete transom replacement (either for the future 30HP upgrade or before resale) on the Funyak should be simply a case of removing some bolts. Ideally you'd buy the replacement transom at the time of order!

That said I have a long shaft and don't think I'd want to loose much off the height of the transom. With willk and me right at the back of a fairly heavily laden boat I don't think there was more than 5" of freeboard - I'd want to see one afloat before committing.

However if you can afford console etc next year it is a no brainer for me (and probably get the jockey not their standard bench) as it makes a huge difference for comfort on a long day... but it will be more cluttered for fishing 3 up.

Tags
rib