Old 10 November 2015, 13:31   #21

Just been to look at Whaly range.
It's a good looking tub as well.
Not much in it between that and the Funyak.
Defo going to hold off and sell my set up and engine and go for a long shaft 30hp with console.
Your right Poly there was not much free board with you and Wilk aboard your funyak.
I found a pic of you in the distance entering Easdale Harbour on this year's Sib gathering.
I noticed she is listing as well.
Despite my reassurances that my short shaft will work - I'm gonna wait a bit and get a set up that will see me good for a few years.
It will be my old Sib till next year till I can afford the full upgrade package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1447165831173.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	109673  
Old 10 November 2015, 13:54   #22

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
makes sense does that kaman took me a year to decide on mine
Old 10 November 2015, 14:24   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Ordinarily I would agree. As someone else has commented though complete transom replacement (either for the future 30HP upgrade or before resale) on the Funyak should be simply a case of removing some bolts. Ideally you'd buy the replacement transom at the time of order!

That said I have a long shaft and don't think I'd want to loose much off the height of the transom. With willk and me right at the back of a fairly heavily laden boat I don't think there was more than 5" of freeboard - I'd want to see one afloat before committing.
In that case, I'd whip off the original transom, cobble something together to try the reduced height & give it a whirl. If it works, make a better job of the new transom & save the original for the future. I agree about the freeboard, can't have too much on small boats. Especially with a tiller steer.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 16:21   #24

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
In that case, I'd whip off the original transom, cobble something together to try the reduced height & give it a whirl. If it works, make a better job of the new transom & save the original for the future. I agree about the freeboard, can't have too much on small boats. Especially with a tiller steer.
Interesting where the PLacky Tub design will end up and evolve as time goes on...seems to me it's open to LOTS more innovation and design options.

The Freeboard point is more of a size : weight : loading combination,and would be very much the same in a SIB or RIB of that size and layout...

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 17:55   #25

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I agree ..You wouldn’t want to loose any more freeboard.. but because its a bolted on wooden transom.. I would imagine it is easy to fabricate another transom.. cut to fit the short shaft... then build a well on the inside of the transom to raise the height again. Many boats do that.

Then when you get more dosh..get the longshaft 30 and put the original transom back on and Poly’s yer uncle.

You are running out of Excuses Kaman.. go order it and put yourself out your dilemma ..you know it makes sense ..and you can tell wifie it’s a joint Xmas pressie.
Old 10 November 2015, 20:05   #26

Arghhh!
The salty old sea dog Gurnard

Think this will be the first time I'm not going to heed your top notch advice.......

After much deliberating I'm 100 % decided against buying and butchering a Funyak 390 to accomodate my Tohatsu s/s.

I went and saw the Whaly range today and was in awe of the Whaly 435.

It had loads of space - its around the same length as your quicksilver but has lots more space due to the tube design.

As we saw earlier this year around Lismore the larger Sibs bridge the rough stuff better and give a smoother ride.

As this package is going to have to last me numerous years I'm saving up for a long shaft 30 hp power trim electris start with console and all the gubbins.

Just feel that Funyak with a short shaft tiller is too much of a compromise. It always going to be work in progress which I'm never going to be 100% happy with until it's fully upgraded.

A Whaly 435 will accomodate the Mrs and my 2 kids as well.
They are getting of an age that they want to go everywhere with daddy.

The 435 will also take 3 fishing as well.

I'm going to sit on things over the winter and squirrel some more funds away and see what 2016 brings.

It will be the good old Honwave Sib for my boating excursions during the beginning of 2016 at least.

I will definetly not be suggesting the joint Xmas pressie.

I value my health too much.
Old 10 November 2015, 20:32   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Kaman, Nice choice... ...now have you thought about sleeping on board yet?
Old 10 November 2015, 20:54   #28

No hadn't thot of sleeping on board yet.....
Maybe something like this would suit for overnight stays
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1447192469525.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	109674  
Old 11 November 2015, 10:21   #29

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
A few years back when we had a 4m grp fast fisher on a trailer I came very close to buying a poly boat from a NZ company. They do 360, 390 & 420 sizes with/without cuddy, steering console etc. The make was MAC.

Like this one.

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/boats-for...ac-420/9296327

I thought they were one of the nicest looking of the PVC boats, very Rib like.

Then of course we found "pack in the car" SIBs and boating went in a different direction.
Old 11 November 2015, 11:44   #30
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
A few years back when we had a 4m grp fast fisher on a trailer I came very close to buying a poly boat from a NZ company. They do 360, 390 & 420 sizes with/without cuddy, steering console etc. The make was MAC.

Like this one.

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/boats-for...ac-420/9296327

I thought they were one of the nicest looking of the PVC boats, very Rib like.
They are nice, and have a dealer in Dundee which would be convenient for Kaman. They aren't particularly cheap though.
Old 11 November 2015, 11:51   #31

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I guess not all Plastic boats are as good as others

This is my uncle’s boat and he was very disappointed in its performance.
Even in a slight chop he has to come off the plane due to the “slamming” of waves on it’s flat bottom ... which goes right though your spine. I can keep my SIB (which is the same length as his boat) .. on the plane when he has to drop to displacement speeds .. as it appears my SIB a softer “slam” due to its flexible bottom.

So as with any boat ... if you get the opportunity .. try before you buy and that way you wont be disappointed if its performance is not as advertised. Looks can deceive...I think his is a lovely looking boat

Looking at a promotional video of my uncle’s boat brand..and watching the girl sitting beside the driver.. I think you can see she is getting a pretty hard jolt on the waves. A boat is always better with at least a bit of a V on the front

Old 11 November 2015, 16:48   #32

Gurnard that both interesting / concerning - your comments about your uncles boat slamming in a chop.
I can envisage that being an issue with a flattish bottomed plastic tub.
I think the Funyak has a more pronounced v on the bottom than the Whaly.
It may be more capable than the Whaly?
What are your experinces Poly with your set up in the ruff stuff?
Old 11 November 2015, 18:40   #33

RIBase
To be honest apart from a shock seat I think you go a long way to beat the old tube for a seat for years whilst diving that's all we sat on, the thing is all boats slam just some are better than others you just drive to the conditions to suit the boat but that boat does jolt the occupants. always best to have a try before you buy especially if it's a new craft to you!
Old 11 November 2015, 21:10   #34
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
I think the Funyak has a more pronounced v on the bottom than the Whaly.
possibly in the pics but hard to say without both side by side or taken at the same angle.
Quote:
What are your experinces Poly with your set up in the ruff stuff?
The conditions we had on the way back from Belnahua to Kerrera were probably as bad as I intentionally go out in for "fun" but I've had a few times when I needed to go out in worse (e.g. to get the boat back to the slip at the end of the holiday, to recover a lobster pot before going home, because it was fine on the sheltered side of an island and I decided to go right round!).

I found the bench seat with no backrest was not ideal. Coming off a really big wave you really did need to hold on so as not to fall backwards off the seat. I was never aware of slamming through my spine down, but certainly when alone I tended to stand in bigger waves (and that seat was slightly too far forward for my comfort).

I made a jockey seat upgrade myself and its a good improvement - not from slamming just because sitting with no backrest for hours gets tiring. It does also make it easier to stand or half-stand/sit too. (It also gave me somewhere to mount a small mast for VHF).

I have no experience driving one from the "tube". Mrs P and the little P's have sat on the side seats in reasonable bumps - but probably not as big as we had on the way home from Belnahua. They complain* about getting wet not slamming. (* the kids now ask me to do it intentionally as they are older!). They like going over big wakes though - which isn't quite the same as it is not relentless but is ok.

I've little experience of SIBs in big waves, but I have experienced RIBs and for its size I'd say the Funyak holds its own for slamming. The criticism I would have of the Funyak is that when you hit a big wave it sprays right over anyone on the tubes, and if you have the trim not perfect over the helm's head too (I think PTT would sort this).

Did you find a Whaly in person somewhere local? Would they let you trial it? We could pop the funyak in and play side by side...
Old 11 November 2015, 22:46   #35

Thanks again Poly for another comprehensive reply.
I'm definitely going to have to trial whatever I'm buying as the polyethylene tub performance is an unknown quantity to me.
I saw pretty much the whole range of Whaly boats at a dealer in Glasgow.
I was blown away by the internal space on the 370 and 435 compared with similar sized Sibs /Ribs.
The dealer said that the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service had tested the 370 and we're mightily impressed.
I did have a look at the underside of the 435 which was trailered.
It was hard to see the underside of it properly tho it certainty wasn't flat but didn't have a deep v either.
The Funyak and Whaly plastic tubs tick every box in every respect of my requirements - its just the performance in the ruff I'm unsure of.
I doubt that any of the aforementioned tubs will be less capable than my honwave sib tho.
What I have established without a doubt from this thread is that I'm willing to compromise some deck space for a console and a jockey seat and I'm going to have to save up a bit more.
Quite content pimping my Sib up for another season tho.
Roll on 2016 and some decent weather
Old 11 November 2015, 23:59   #36

Town: Epsom
Make: Avon SR4
Our sea scouts run a whaly 435 as a safety boat. Loads of space, tough as old boots but definitely not a soft ride.

It can feel very safe as you definitely sit in rather than on the boat

RichClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1447289936.104077.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	109681
Old 12 November 2015, 07:51   #37

RIBase
kaman

don't know if you get powerboat & rib but to throw another type of boat in the orkney longliner 2 has a good write up 4.88 LOA 1.83 beam weight 270 kg power 6 - 15 tiller 15 -25 steering boat only £4392.

Golden Arrow Marine

cheers
Old 15 November 2015, 14:14   #38

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Lucky Heather 3
Make: Spearfish
Engine: Small!
RIBase
I got a whaly 435 and swear by it for a cheap, tough, unsinkable boat which needs little maintenance.
Old 15 November 2015, 15:35   #39

Hi Papajoe.
Don't know what your experience of Sibs and Ribs are - just wondering how you rate the performance of the 435 by comparison to similar sized Sibs and Ribs.
The Whaly 435 ticks all the boxes in terms of durability, space and budget.
Just not sure of the Whaly performance in a rough chop tho???
Has been mentioned that the hard plastic and flattish hull of the Whaly could make for an unforgiving ride in a chop.
I'm looking at possibly a Whaly 435 or Funyak 390 or similar with a 30hp on remote steering.
I've presently got a Honwave 3.5ae with tiller controlled 20hp.
Old 15 November 2015, 21:43   #40

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Lucky Heather 3
Make: Spearfish
Engine: Small!
RIBase
I'd say that sib and ribs handle chop better and the whaly can be a wet ride full pelt but I tend to run about 15-18knots to reduce spray. Saying that I've had it in good-size swell and I was really impressed with the performance.it's an ideal arounder and I get 9mpg with a 2stroke mariner If I had 10k then I'd have a rib, but I haven't and the whole set up cost me under £2500 for a new boat. If you're down south then come for a spin

Tags
rib