Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 30 July 2008, 22:24   #1

Length: no boat
RIB Newbie - Please help decide on a RIB!

Hi everyone

I'm sure you guys will come up with some great suggestions here so here we go...I could do with some ideas on what sort of RIB I should be looking to buy.

We're looking for something for cruising, a little fishing and wakeboarding, mostly along the Norfolk coast. Preferably to fit 2-3 adults and a toddler (who hopefully wont try to throw herself out!) We're getting rid of the jetski as its not very family friendly and have a budget of 5-6K. I realise this will mean a second hand one...any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks a lot
Vern
Old 30 July 2008, 22:50   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
How family friendly do you want it to be?

I think your biggest problem will be finding anything at all for that price that fits the bill without modification.

Might be worth looking for an early Zodiac Pro 550 but IMO they aren't very good rough weather boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro550-05R25-F080(3).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	36620  

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 23:01   #3

Hi there, that boat looks like it would fit the bill nicely although having to go for an older one makes me a bit nervous. When you say how family friendly...we dont mind roughing it a bit!...

Ive heard that Avon Seariders are good boats?
Old 30 July 2008, 23:28   #4
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Hi there, that boat looks like it would fit the bill nicely although having to go for an older one makes me a bit nervous. When you say how family friendly...we dont mind roughing it a bit!...

Ive heard that Avon Seariders are good boats?
Whatever you go for with a 5-6k budget isn't going to be from this century unless you're lucky.You'd be looking at around 1998 for a 550 pro-but if you're not averse to roughing it then pretty much anything with a known brand name and enough seats will do the job though I'd want double jockeys if I was carrying a toddler so they could sit in front of someone holding them. I'd be very wary of non hypalon tubed boats.

Realistically I love my Searider to bits but it's not very family friendly. They are commercial boats with corresponding build quality (ie like a tank ) The 3 seat console like mine might actually do the job if you've got a toddler-one in front,one behind the toddler but any other adults would be sitting on the tubes-see here for a pic of mine.

They are quite a wet ride when it gets choppy and can be quite a hard ride too. However, the boat will be able to take a lot more abuse than you will.

BTW, Welcome to RibNet

Old 31 July 2008, 06:38   #5

Thanks for that, it seems we'll have to up the budget a bit then - not sure the motherinlaw will take kindly to not having a seat! heh. What sort of price would you think for the kind of thing that would be suitable?
Old 31 July 2008, 09:23   #6
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks for that, it seems we'll have to up the budget a bit then - not sure the motherinlaw will take kindly to not having a seat! heh. What sort of price would you think for the kind of thing that would be suitable?
To be fair, you could probably get a perfectly good older boat for 5-6k that would do the job very well. Age isn't as big a deal as people think as long as you've got a good hull/motor and hypalon tubes. You'll be looking for a long time though.

I'd personally expect a starting budget of around £8k rising to however much you get the 'I wants' badly enough for...

It might be worth chatting to Jono Garton at PBS (he's a member on here and does some cracking deals on Humbers) or even thinking about a (hiss,spit ) hardboat as you'd get a lot more seating for your money with one and toddler security is less of an issue.

Old 31 July 2008, 11:27   #7

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Having done exaclty the samething a few years ago and moved from Jetski to RIb - I went for a new AVON 4m adventure. We have got 6 in it ( on a flat day)at 25knts , & towed skiers / ringos etc with 3 up no problems. As ahs been said the smaller boats are not great in bad weather & sat in the bow at anythingover 15 kts on flat water is pretty hairy stuff unless you are a loony ( maybe coming from Jetskis you are ? ) but no-one has ever fallen out of mine ! I reckon your budget will get something prety good , but I thought & have always found the seariders to be a little 'workhorse' if you are looking for a family type boat.

Biggest regret was buying new, with all the toys on it, & then getting a bigger RIB 18 months later & having to decide if I can really keep the Avon, or I should sell it ( its for sale now but I'm trying to put people off ! )

Can email pics of my set up & boat if you want- PM me a real email as I cant work out how to reduce file size for posting on here !

Pete
Old 02 August 2008, 21:12   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
or even thinking about a (hiss,spit ) hardboat as you'd get a lot more seating for your money with one and toddler security is less of an issue.
on that topic you would look at something like the funyak, or macboat range - which will give you rib styling and similar handling, even more robustness etc. but if you pick the right one would fall in your budget NEW and with the possibly even more seating options etc than you would get.

e.g. www.fun-yak.co.uk
http://www.marinerevolution.com/mac_boats.htm

[Edit - in the interests of fairness should mention these guys too: http://www.steadyboats.com/index.cfm?SprakID=2]

We have the funyak 3.90 - and use it for the application you describe (new boat, engine, trailer would be within budget). I think I saw an ex demo 4m Mac boat going for your budget recently.

Quote:
The 3 seat console like mine might actually do the job if you've got a toddler-one in front,one behind the toddler
not ideal though as little-un can't see where they are going. Actually although I prefer a jockey - for families I think benches might be better - and perhaps its much less likely that you are going out family boating in the rough.

In terms of requirments - with a toddler you need to think about how you will keep them out of the wind (25 mph + wind = cold for a small person) If you can keep spray off them too - all the better.
Old 03 August 2008, 16:54   #9

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Vern,

I bought a 10 year old Osprey Viper from someone on this site last year it cost less than 5k and was and absolute peach. If you look around there are bargains to be had.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote