Click Here to Login

Old 10 August 2022, 10:14   #1

Town: Cambridge
Make: AVON
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke
RIB needed for charter - Solent - Early September

Hi all,

Alas it's starting to seem that my searider refurb won't be finished for the one thing I needed it for!

As such, I'm looking for a RIB to charter early September, exact date TBC but likely to be two days between the 5th and the 10th. I will be using it to chase two yachts finishing a circumnavigation.

I'm looking for a 5.5m-7m RIB, commercial style, capable of rough water... not bench seats and teak floors!

Willing to pay a daily charter fee, price to be discussed and proportionate to the boat. This is a privately funded though, so will need to be less than a commercial charter company! I will of course cover fuel used and a launching fee if required.

Ideally insurance will cover 18 year old, but 21 is workable. I have been employed as a coxswain at one of the UK largest sailing clubs for 3.5 years, and have done leisure boating outside of that. Have over 500 logged driving hours in everything from a 4.6m XS to a Pacific 22 Jet.

If you're able to help, please respond to this thread or send me a PM and we can discuss. No doubt the amazing RIBnet community can help me once again.

Many Thanks, Alex
Old 10 August 2022, 11:39   #2
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Try Solent Rib Charter.

Chris
Old 10 August 2022, 12:43   #3

Thanks Chris, but SRC want 500 quid a day and have a minimum age 25+, and have boats too big for what I want. As such, unfortunately they are not suitable.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 10 August 2022, 21:56   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Join urban truant? Or one of the other daily hire setups?

https://www.utrib.club/
Old 10 August 2022, 22:17   #5

Thanks for your suggestion, but I have a RIB and am not looking to join a commercial business/club/organisation. UT don't allow boat hire unless you are a member.

I am looking for a private RIBnet member who is willing to discuss the possibility of me using their boat. I appreciate this is not something everyone will consider, but I know it has been done before.
Old 11 August 2022, 13:49   #6

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandAlex View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for a 5.5m-7m RIB, commercial style, capable of rough water... not bench seats and teak floors!

Many Thanks, Alex
Hi Alex, I'm afraid mine would not suit you at all, having teak engine lid and a rear bench seat, however it is a Ribtec 7.4 with 300 of Mercruiser's finest HP on a Bravo leg, so its no slouch and can handle a lot more rough water than most people can stand.
In any case I do not lend my boats, which is effectively what you want, to anyone and I suspect that most serious rib owners probably feel the same way about theirs .

Best of luck though...
Old 11 August 2022, 14:16   #7

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I think you'll struggle to find someone who will loan their RIB to a stranger. Is there not someone at the sailing club that will lend you a RIB?
Old 11 August 2022, 16:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Hi Alex, I'm afraid mine would not suit you at all, having teak engine lid and a rear bench seat, however it is a Ribtec 7.4 with 300 of Mercruiser's finest HP on a Bravo leg, so its no slouch and can handle a lot more rough water than most people can stand.

In any case I do not lend my boats, which is effectively what you want, to anyone and I suspect that most serious rib owners probably feel the same way about theirs .

Best of luck though...
Hi voodoo,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you have a nice boat [emoji6]. I imagine it's not too slow either!

I appreciate many won't be willing but it's worth an ask.

Alex
Old 11 August 2022, 16:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I think you'll struggle to find someone who will loan their RIB to a stranger. Is there not someone at the sailing club that will lend you a RIB?
Hi Guy,

My sailing club does not have any rib owner members... I checked! Alas the club RIBS are not close to the solent and are unable to be towed off site.

Alex
Old 13 August 2022, 02:33   #10

Town: London
The problem you'll find is that a lot of hire places won't allow you to south side of island. Maybe check out Bluetooth rib charter and also clickandboat?
Old 13 August 2022, 06:57   #11

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Before I ever ask a favour to borrow something (which is very very rare)I always put myself in the opposite position, in this case imagine your RIB was finished and ready to go and you were cleaning it on the drive and someone says nice boat mate can I borrow it for a few days and I will of course pay for the fuel that I will use. I wonder what your reply would be?😵*💫
Old 15 August 2022, 13:11   #12

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Before I ever ask a favour to borrow something (which is very very rare)I always put myself in the opposite position, in this case imagine your RIB was finished and ready to go and you were cleaning it on the drive and someone says nice boat mate can I borrow it for a few days and I will of course pay for the fuel that I will use. I wonder what your reply would be?😵*💫
Exactly
Old 15 August 2022, 13:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Before I ever ask a favour to borrow something (which is very very rare)I always put myself in the opposite position, in this case imagine your RIB was finished and ready to go and you were cleaning it on the drive and someone says nice boat mate can I borrow it for a few days and I will of course pay for the fuel that I will use. I wonder what your reply would be?[emoji43]*[emoji94]
Believe it or not, many times I would probably say yes. Maybe I'm crazy. But if someone gave me a good reason (a specific need... not just a leisure spin), paid me a good rate, was suitably qualified and experienced, and most importantly when I met them they gave me a good feeling, then I would often say yes.

My boat is a workboat though, not particularly pretty, worth maybe 7k, so that may well be different to many people here who have paid 10s of K for their dream craft. I wasn't looking for someone's pride and joy, I was looking for a well used dive boat, safety boat etc...

Now I appreciate this is somewhat unusual, and I came into this expecting very few people to even entertain the idea. It doesn't work for you guys and that's totally OK, but you often get nowhere in life unless you start asking about.

Many thanks, Alex
Old 15 August 2022, 13:39   #14

To finish this thread, I have sourced a boat. Everyone's help is much appreciated.
Old 15 August 2022, 15:11   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Apache, Lakota
Make: XS
Engine: Merc 200HP Merc 25HP
RIB Charter

Lending or hiring a RIB to a stranger is considered commercial use, all insurers will insist that a RIB used commercially must also comply with coding.

But you don't want to use a commercial operator......
Old 15 August 2022, 15:20   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftain Training View Post
Lending or hiring a RIB to a stranger is considered commercial use, all insurers will insist that a RIB used commercially must also comply with coding.

Well fortunately I didn't need to go down that rabbit hole since a suitable "charter company" gave me a vast discount.

I wasn't necessarily against a charter organisation... I just had reached out to them all already, and we couldn't afford to pay 500+ quid + fuel a day which is what most of them wanted. Therefore I came here looking for an alternative approach.

I apologise I should have been clearer.
Old 15 August 2022, 15:49   #17

Make: RC585
Engine: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftain Training View Post

I was asked by the owner of a classic yacht who I had previously met whether I would take out a professional photographer for a photo shoot for a Classic boat magazine. He offered payment, but even though I would have been quite happy to do it entirely at my own expense being interested in the project I felt obliged to decline because my rib is not coded and only insured for leisure purposes.
Maybe I was being over cautious but the potential for personal liability made it a risk I wasn't prepared to take.
Old 15 August 2022, 17:52   #18

Town: Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
I was asked by the owner of a classic yacht who I had previously met whether I would take out a professional photographer for a photo shoot for a Classic boat magazine. He offered payment, but even though I would have been quite happy to do it entirely at my own expense being interested in the project I felt obliged to decline because my rib is not coded and only insured for leisure purposes.
Maybe I was being over cautious but the potential for personal liability made it a risk I wasn't prepared to take.
Yet a leisure boat owner can their amateur photographer friend for a spin on their boat and sell the photos to a magazine
Old 15 August 2022, 20:09   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Yet a leisure boat owner can their amateur photographer friend for a spin on their boat and sell the photos to a magazine

I suppose it’s a grey area. The boat owner isn’t being paid per-se for the use of the boat. It’s no different to me taking my boat out for a jolly, seeing a rare greater crested spangled bloater fish, grabbing a photo on my phone & flogging it to Bloater Fish weekly. The boat isn’t being used directly for commercial purposes.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 21:32   #20

Make: RC585
Engine: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I suppose it’s a grey area. The boat owner isn’t being paid per-se for the use of the boat. It’s no different to me taking my boat out for a jolly, seeing a rare greater crested spangled bloater fish, grabbing a photo on my phone & flogging it to Bloater Fish weekly. The boat isn’t being used directly for commercial purposes.
Absolutely. I can post here (and sell if I want to) a photo of the yacht in question that I took on a day when I was out for a leisure trip and just came across it.
However if I'd taken a professional out to photograph it (and the yacht owner himself is a professional restorer) then perhaps it could have been deemed commercial activity which is excluded by my insurance policy. Convincing them that no money had changed hands might have been difficult if anything should have happened, and with my rib not coded and me not qualified in any way I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on.
What with expensive cameras, potential for injury etc. the risk was just not worth it which was a pity because I would have enjoyed doing it.
The yacht incidentally is a Belfast Lough class one-design built in 1897.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	250821BD-09EB-49AD-AD4F-F73A258C719B.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	141319  

Tags
rib