Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 June 2011, 17:08   #1
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Wexford
Boat name: Blue Thunder
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: Nanni diesel,200hp
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Rib manufacturer mystery!

Hey folks,
I have a 7.1 metre rib, it has been modified fairly extensively, both by myself and by a previous owner. Its now fitted with a 200hp nanni diesel and volvo penta sx stern drive.
The mystery lies in the question of who manufactured the boat originally. Any plates or significant markings have been lost due to mods made over time. the only mark left is a swooping eagle on the lid of the front stowage compartment. I am leaning towards an american origin as the boat had an inboard OMC petrol engine at one stage. Also, much of the plastic accessories in the rib are `Nuevo rade`.
I suppose my real question for y`all is could anyone here tell who the maker was from a couple of photos of the rib?????
__________________

__________________
tom118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2011, 17:38   #2
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,775
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom118 View Post
Hey folks,
I have a 7.1 metre rib, it has been modified fairly extensively, both by myself and by a previous owner. Its now fitted with a 200hp nanni diesel and volvo penta sx stern drive.
The mystery lies in the question of who manufactured the boat originally. Any plates or significant markings have been lost due to mods made over time. the only mark left is a swooping eagle on the lid of the front stowage compartment. I am leaning towards an american origin as the boat had an inboard OMC petrol engine at one stage. Also, much of the plastic accessories in the rib are `Nuevo rade`.
I suppose my real question for y`all is could anyone here tell who the maker was from a couple of photos of the rib?????
My first RIB was an 1989 Osprey 6.4m Sparrowhawk (swooping eagle?) with a V6 4.3l OMC Cobra inboard petrol
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2011, 19:10   #3
Member
 
benc's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Intrepid
Make: Tornado
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 150 Yamaha HPDI
MMSI: 235066402
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,319
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom118 View Post
Hey folks,
I have a 7.1 metre rib, it has been modified fairly extensively, both by myself and by a previous owner. Its now fitted with a 200hp nanni diesel and volvo penta sx stern drive.
The mystery lies in the question of who manufactured the boat originally. Any plates or significant markings have been lost due to mods made over time. the only mark left is a swooping eagle on the lid of the front stowage compartment. I am leaning towards an american origin as the boat had an inboard OMC petrol engine at one stage. Also, much of the plastic accessories in the rib are `Nuevo rade`.
I suppose my real question for y`all is could anyone here tell who the maker was from a couple of photos of the rib?????
Upload as many photos as you can, from every angle you can, you will be suprised what you will find out
__________________
benc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2011, 02:29   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,954
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
1989 Osprey 6.4m Sparrowhawk (swooping eagle?) with a V6 4.3l OMC Cobra inboard petrol
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 08:50   #5
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Wexford
Boat name: Blue Thunder
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: Nanni diesel,200hp
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Pics of the rib

Finally got some pics resized to post. Ive been looking at the Osprey ribs (Pikey Dave), and they are very similar, just cant be definite. Anyway, I hope somebody can give me some help from the pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rib2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	59919   Click image for larger version

Name:	rib 1.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	59920   Click image for larger version

Name:	rib3.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	59921   Click image for larger version

Name:	rib4.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	59922  
__________________
tom118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 09:00   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,898
RIBase
I rather like that!
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 09:10   #7
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,712
Nice boat - it certainly has an Osprey-ness about it

The grey patch on the outside of the tube near the bow is about where the Osprey logo is normally fitted so maybe it was to cover that up - see OSPREY RIBS UK Osprey_Vipermax Range

Is this your eagle?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	osprey logo.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	59923  
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 09:34   #8
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Wexford
Boat name: Blue Thunder
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: Nanni diesel,200hp
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks Bogmonster,
The Osprey logo you posted exactly matches the one on the hatch cover of my rib. Finally I can say for sure where it was made and find out a little more about it. You wouldnt believe how long its taken me to uncover even that, and I only found the Osprey symbol on the hatch by chance as I polished it.
Thanks again to all who helped.
__________________
tom118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 09:48   #9
Member
 
nugent's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,547
mike would of done the lay up on the hull
whitten glassfibre or something like that the number is at work
__________________

MY BIGGEST WORRY IS THAT MY WIFE(WHEN I"M DEAD)WILL SELL MY TOY'S FOR WHAT I SAID I PAID FOR THEM.
nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 11:04   #10
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,866
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
The grey patch on the outside of the tube near the bow is about where the Osprey logo is normally fitted so maybe it was to cover that up...
I can imagine how that could happen
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 11:30   #11
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,954
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom118 View Post
Finally got some pics resized to post. Ive been looking at the Osprey ribs (Pikey Dave), and they are very similar, just cant be definite. Anyway, I hope somebody can give me some help from the pics attached.
Certainly look Fletcher-esque, although that bottom sprayrail maybe doesn't quite match what I'd expect for a VM. Is it a viper? Oh and is that a redbay patrol console?

Looks good anyhoo. I will reply to your email tonight when I get the chance!
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 11:49   #12
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,866
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Oh and is that a redbay patrol console?
No.
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 13:09   #13
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I can imagine how that could happen
Indeed ... debadging often happens with prestige stuff as people with lots of money and good taste don't always want to show it off

Not really worth doing with yer normal mass market tat
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 16:24   #14
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,775
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Indeed ... debadging often happens with prestige stuff as people with lots of money and good taste don't always want to show it off

Not really worth doing with yer normal mass market tat
It's not because it's been nicked then
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2011, 10:18   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Indeed ... debadging often happens with prestige stuff as people with lots of money and good taste don't always want to show it off

...or fitted out as part opf a deal with someone else - Mine is "officially" badged as a Delta, and was fitted out & badged by them before they started making their own hulls..... And I've had that story form both sides of the arrangement.
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2011, 14:23   #16
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Wexford
Boat name: Blue Thunder
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: Nanni diesel,200hp
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
I doubt it was ever stolen, I bought it from an outdoors centre on the south side of Carlingford Lough and the guys there said the first owner operated a boatyard on the north side of the lough.
I took that to be the reason for the many mods that have been made to the boat, i.e. modified transom, console, reinforced floor. If he was doing the work in his own shop the unique end result makes sense!
__________________
tom118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2011, 14:51   #17
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,866
RIBase
Hi Tom

I should have said before - Welcome to RIBnet, always good to see another compatriot on here - we need greater numbers for harassing the Sassanach

Have you a connection with CHC, by any chance?
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2011, 15:04   #18
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Wexford
Boat name: Blue Thunder
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: Nanni diesel,200hp
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hi Tom

I should have said before - Welcome to RIBnet, always good to see another compatriot on here - we need greater numbers for harassing the Sassanach

Have you a connection with CHC, by any chance?
Hey willk,
Its a great forum, lots of boating knowledge bouncing around.
Dont harass the sassanach too much, they know their boats and thats bloody useful!

No CHC connection, just a hereditary obsession with boats and boating.
__________________
tom118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2011, 17:16   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 66
Its a Viper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Certainly look Fletcher-esque, although that bottom sprayrail maybe doesn't quite match what I'd expect for a VM. Is it a viper? Oh and is that a redbay patrol console?

Looks good anyhoo. I will reply to your email tonight when I get the chance!


It's not a ViperMax but is one of the 'original' Osprey Vipers built by Offshore components, the clue is in the chines (originally Fletcher - check out the history on the owner assoc website) and the bow sponson running with the hull.

__________________
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2011, 08:23   #20
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,954
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
It's not a ViperMax but is one of the 'original' Osprey Vipers built by Offshore components, the clue is in the chines (originally Fletcher - check out the history on the owner assoc website) and the bow sponson running with the hull.
As I thought

Sure it isn't a Falcon though? I have advised to look for serial numbers etc in all the usual places. If found then I'm sure Roy will be able to trace it back
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
maker, manufacturer, origin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.