Old 29 August 2003, 14:53   #1

rib making

I apoligise in advance for these questions which may seem stupid to some, but i come from a world of custom cars and if something doesnt do exactly what you want but you still love it, you modify it to fit the use!

i was reading an article about rib design. Alot of ribs are based on existing sportsboat hulls by the sounds of it? A rib is supposed to not sink if you hole the hull as it has tubes yes, and not sink if the tubes split cause you got a hull too.... But surely when they glue the tubes on they cut the height of the hull down, does that not reduce the hulls water height and integrety as a hull (say if tubes split)?? why dont they sick the tubes on the outside of the hull, like a d tubed boat?? and if thats the case can i have some tubes fitted to the outside of my phantom and make a rib?? (a phantom rib!!!) Have people done this or is it just for you clever kids! Surely the biggest dilema has to be tube height with the water?

Many thanks
Old 29 August 2003, 15:26   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Mike, think you will find this is exactly what Alan Priddy did with Jolly Sailor.

Ignoring diesel stern drive ribs I suspect that most ribs will float without tubes as you say because of the bouancy in the hull, afterall its just a large surf board with no tubes. Also many ribs now have tubes that don't touch the water.

However the hull isn't the most expensive part its the tubes. Rather than modify a phantom and risk having something that doesn't work or you cant then sell, why not sell the phantom and buy a rib hull. Fitting out a rib hull isn't difficult and you control the quality not a builder with deadlines and profit margins.

Pete
Old 30 August 2003, 14:28   #3

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
i can understand mikes wanting to do something for himself, i feel the same because i want a cuddy rib and they are not readily available unless you got 60-100k in your back pocket, lot of possibly disasterous hard work unless someone could do it for you though