Old 05 August 2009, 17:39   #1

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Length: 8m +
rib maintenance

Hi,
I was just browsing around in the forums and I noticed a rib for sale. The seller pointed out, and rightly as it will help his sale, that he had the tubes serviced last year, plus a full engine rebuild with 0 hours, including new turbo, leg refurbished with new clutches, transom plate assembly refurbished with new bellows etc.

I don't know how old the boat is, and I don't know how much it was used, but it got me thinking. How much of this kind of maintenance does a rib need on average?
Cheers,
rupert.
Old 05 August 2009, 17:48   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
that'smore of an overhaul than maintenance. I would be looking to do that kinda work after 7 years r more. I'd be wanting to see a service istory from before this work to convince myelf this overhaul wan't due to neglect
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2009, 07:07   #3

Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert View Post
Hi,
I was just browsing around in the forums and I noticed a rib for sale. The seller pointed out, and rightly as it will help his sale, that he had the tubes serviced last year, plus a full engine rebuild with 0 hours, including new turbo, leg refurbished with new clutches, transom plate assembly refurbished with new bellows etc.

I don't know how old the boat is, and I don't know how much it was used, but it got me thinking. How much of this kind of maintenance does a rib need on average?
Cheers,
rupert.
Are you buying a Rib?

Tony
Old 06 August 2009, 07:56   #4

Hi Tony,

Yes, I am. But you'll probably find that I'll ask a lot of questions (some no doubt already answered on the forum, but who knows where they are now) as I don't want to makw the same mistake I had with my two previous boats (not ribs).

rupert.
Old 06 August 2009, 08:30   #5

Quote:
Yes, I am. But you'll probably find that I'll ask a lot of questions (some no doubt already answered on the forum, but who knows where they are now) as I don't want to makw the same mistake I had with my two previous boats (not ribs).

rupert.
If you need some help..just ask

Tony
Old 06 August 2009, 08:44   #6

Tony

Hi Tony,
Cheers. Need tons of it.
E.g. I am looking to get a cabin or canopy. What are the pros and cons of each? Looks to me like the canopy might be more stable, but that is just an impressions from looking at the photos.
I have looked at Redbay for serval reasons, not least because I like the hardnose concept (although I may be over-rating it). Here, I have narrowed the size down to 74. or 8.4, but am undecided as to the pros and cons of these? The possibility to tow on the road is important.
Then engines: sterndrive or outboard? No doubt the sterndrive diesel drinks less and is quieter, but I have heard it can be a bugger for maintenance. Any other important factors?

I don't want to take up your time too much, but if you have any ideas from your experience, I'd love to hear them.
Use will probably be in Europe, and backwards and forwards from Gsy to Sark.

Enjoy your day. I am not in the C.I.'s at the moment.

How's the swine flu? Some of my friends were a bit psychotic the last time I phoned home.

rupert
p.s CHecked out your site on your profile, but it is forbidden. Is it secret?
Old 06 August 2009, 09:02   #7

Tony,

Forgot to mention seaworthiness (albeit this depends on many factors, not the least the guy at the helm). However, as you know, Sark - Gsy in the winter can be a bit harrowing, especially on those occasions when you want to risk it.
Would you prefer to be in a 7.4. or an 8.4. or perhaps snug in a pub with a glass of something to keep you warm? Probably the latter, but if you are on Sark, at times there is no alternative - you might HAVE to go. And if the Bon Marin's not around at that moment....

Rupert.
Old 06 August 2009, 09:46   #8

I think if you are heading out mid winter to Sark or further. at least 8m should be ok. Obviously the cost of a large cabin rib may sway your decision. Redbay boats seem to have good reputation. If you want something openish there is a Cougar R11 for sale in NZ with a canopy, which seems to be a good price..As for drives...New Verado engines are very quiet, very quick and pretty good on fuel. I dont have much experience with sterndrives but the 496 HO sounds fantastic.
Old 06 August 2009, 09:56   #9

Hi Tony

Thanks for your comments. Cougars are lovely looking boats. I never went further into them because of the cabin/canopy aspect which I thought they didn't have. Where can I see picture of this one for sale with a canopy?

Thanks,
rupert.
Old 06 August 2009, 11:12   #10

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. Cougars are lovely looking boats. I never went further into them because of the cabin/canopy aspect which I thought they didn't have. Where can I see picture of this one for sale with a canopy?

Thanks,
rupert.
http://cougarmarine.co.nz/index.php?...=gallery&id=20
good price I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r11_2.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	44592  
Old 06 August 2009, 16:09   #11

Tony,

A very smooth looking machine. Thanks for pointing it out. Too pretty, methinks, for Sark's rugged harbours. It'd break my heart to ruin or scratch it to bits.

rupert