Old 13 July 2002, 20:59   #1

Length: no boat
RIB in collision

Two weeks ago two boats collieded in SSW coast of Finland at the time of the midnight. One boat was Brig 600 Eagle RIB and another one was 4,7m aluminium Buster, conventional open boat. Weather was calm but heavy clouds, that means dark. (usually in Finland itīs not too dark at the night time in the midsummer).
Both in Buster ( 2 pob) died, and one who was in the Brig (14 year old boy), 3 persons in the Brig survived.
I have read from newspaper that Buster didn'n have any nav light but Brig did.
The reason for the collision is still open, but something we can learn is that keep your nav light on, and if you don't have one, get it now if you'll be out there after the sunset.

Jari
Old 15 July 2002, 20:20   #2

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Yari,

It's a sad thing that people have to die to remind us of the need to follow safety procedures, thank you for bringing it to our attention, I am sure that you took no pleasure from it.

I have noticed that you can buy emergency Nav lights in Chandlers the ar ebasically three strap on torches which are powered by a single D cell battery each, or U@'s if you are as old as me tyhey are about about 20 quid or less.

If your lights fail you can always shine your torch upwards, cable tie it or tape it to your a frame or throttle lever.

Any body got any other safety tips that they want to share?

regards
Stuart
Old 16 July 2002, 06:03   #3

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
On the emergency light front, Stuart, I have long favoured strobes.

The French love them at the top of masts as a standard sail boat extra. Not legal but they don't 'arf work.

Much better than a spotlight sometimes laugingly called a "steamer scarer". I have never managed to scare a steamer by shining a light at it. But, boy, particularly if there's low cloud and a dark night, the old stobe sure does the trick. And you can usually see them flikerin' away over the horizon at night.

I ALWAYS carry one.

You're never alone with a strobe. That's my motto...