Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 12 February 2017, 10:40   #21

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Sorry.... the builder has asked "you", how thick to make the hull, how to make the fuel tank, where to fit the fuel tank, how to fit the fuel tank.
So were you to advise them to do something that's non-conformant with construction regulations who is going to be responsible for that?

This isn't going to end well if you don't stop and think about what you are actually buying.
When the boat's a couple of meters in the air and about to hit the water at 25knotts the last thing you want is to be wondering if the builder layed up the hull and fitted the fuel tank properly.

We're all constrained by budget at some point but if a builder is asking you questions that he's being paid to know the answer to, you'd be far better off with a well maintained second hand boat from a reputable manufacturer.
Old 12 February 2017, 11:36   #22

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
[QUOTE=matt h;739823]Ha Ha, What a crock of shite..Only fools part with their money for a chinese rib.. dont walk away fella run like f##k.

[emoji106][emoji106]
Old 12 February 2017, 12:26   #23

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
At the end of the Day it's the reason people are prepared to pay a premium price for a well tested and PROVEN product...in this case a RIB....and not trust thier own and family's safety to shoddy practices/builds/materials to a Boat built by an infant industry in a Wild West atmosphere in an unregulated Market.
I and the Guys on here have seen enough of Chinese RIbs to stay well clear!
The choice of course is yours

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 12:28   #24

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
[QUOTE=69cmw;739838]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Ha Ha, What a crock of shite..Only fools part with their money for a chinese rib.. dont walk away fella run like f##k.

[emoji106][emoji106]

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:28   #25

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Length: 5m +
Engine: suzuki70 df
Thanks guys for your replies.
If i will still get the boat despite consensus here not to buy it, will update you with pictures, video and test on sea with my impression, either positive or negative.
Old 18 February 2017, 13:54   #26

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Why not just purchase a boat from a local dealer?

Zodiac dealers are everywhere.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 13:59   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Why not just purchase a boat from a local dealer?

Zodiac dealers are everywhere.
Too expensive
Old 18 February 2017, 14:50   #28

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Too expensive

What's the price difference between the Chinese boat & a comparable Zodiac?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 14:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
What's the price difference between the Chinese boat & a comparable Zodiac?
About 250% and csn tell you both can have glue problem in this hot climate...
Old 18 February 2017, 17:21   #30

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
About 250% and csn tell you both can have glue problem in this hot climate...
So don't buy a PVC Zodiac? Their NEO big RIB boats are Orca CSM.

You get what you pay for.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 18:07   #31

Quote:
Thanks guys for your replies.
If i will still get the boat despite consensus here not to buy it, will update you with pictures, video and test on sea with my impression, either positive or negative.
some consumer advice FWIW

if it is a gopro make sure it is in the waterproof case so when the boat breaks up mid channel you can salvage the video, send it into you've been framed and offset your loss with the 250 quid they give you.
Old 18 February 2017, 18:57   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
some consumer advice FWIW

if it is a gopro make sure it is in the waterproof case so when the boat breaks up mid channel you can salvage the video, send it into you've been framed and offset your loss with the 250 quid they give you.
We will see about that.
Old 18 February 2017, 19:02   #33

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
We will see about that.
do you have a go pro or is it the Chinese alternative
Old 18 February 2017, 19:11   #34

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
do you have a go pro or is it the Chinese alternative

Guys,guys leave off him, it's his money to spend how he likes. Don't forget "the rules" [emoji57]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 19:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Guys,guys leave off him, it's his money to spend how he likes. Don't forget "the rules" [emoji57]
Indeed
I wont get to any personal or non professional arguments.
I requested opinion regarding specific subjects and not opinions regarding chinese quality that i also are afraid of unless seen samples here and was convised it is a good quality.

I have faith with what i am bringing. Have seen here few boats from same factory with good quality and performance..but i will be modest untill i test mine eventually. Expect everybody to be the same with his forcasts.

3d tender (x pro for example) are also chinese sold in uk with not bad reputation and weight resembles my boat where mould of xpro seems to be the same of the older version of the one i am ordering...other world known companies make some parts in china..so it depends...not every chinese made is garbage but should not expect top quality..i am not talking about highest standards.
Here we dont produce boats so we dont have advantage you have...
Old 18 February 2017, 19:57   #36

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Indeed
I wont get to any personal or non professional arguments.
I requested opinion regarding specific subjects and not opinions regarding chinese quality that i also are afraid of unless seen samples here and was convised it is a good quality.

I have faith with what i am bringing. Have seen here few boats from same factory with good quality and performance..but i will be modest untill i test mine eventually. Expect everybody to be the same with his forcasts.

3d tender (x pro for example) are also chinese sold in uk with not bad reputation and weight resembles my boat where mould of xpro seems to be the same of the older version of the one i am ordering...other world known companies make some parts in china..so it depends...not every chinese made is garbage but should not expect top quality..i am not talking about highest standards.
Here we dont produce boats so we dont have advantage you have...
I was only pulling your leg
Old 18 February 2017, 20:42   #37

ok, i'll play nice.

do you have any info on what the keel issue is you mention? what makes you think it is too light? flexing, crazing etc?

lots of boats have a little hull flex but you just need to stay within the constraints of the design, same applies for a heavy boat ofcourse.

i know a little about this as my last boat (avon adventure 5.6) had issues for some people with hull flex around the chines. i don't know why but mine was okay so i assume either my trailer was better setup, my boat was heavier built or i just got plain lucky.

what make is this boat exactly?
Old 19 February 2017, 00:53   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
ok, i'll play nice.

do you have any info on what the keel issue is you mention? what makes you think it is too light? flexing, crazing etc?

lots of boats have a little hull flex but you just need to stay within the constraints of the design, same applies for a heavy boat ofcourse.

i know a little about this as my last boat (avon adventure 5.6) had issues for some people with hull flex around the chines. i don't know why but mine was okay so i assume either my trailer was better setup, my boat was heavier built or i just got plain lucky.

what make is this boat exactly?
Click image for larger version

Name:	1487468617754.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	118059
Old version boat from same factory pictute attached with estimation for that area i am talking about. Gkving few punches with fist you feel some hollw background and flexible.
Owner of that boat is expert in tube repair and deals few with fiber work. He offered adding 4 layers of fiber.
Interesting you mentioned that for other well reputated boats.

So,do you think i should i stick to original design or do ask for 4 more layers to the whole hull?

I should mention that boat in picture is overpowered now with 115 hp mercury (rated up to 90) after having been 2 years with 60hp 2 st.mercury.owner enjoying hi speed but still no cracks of whatsoever in hull or floor.
Old 19 February 2017, 08:52   #39

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The number of layers is irrelevant unless you know the type of material and how well it is applied. you have a feeling the sides of the keel are weak - why would you stick to a builder who is making poor boats?

If you thought the logistics and paperwork of getting a boat from Scotland to Israel was too much, wait till you try to arrange the warranty repair in china.
In Poland we have plenty boat builders.
I'm not expert but friend of mine (who makes GRP boats) told me that material and material maker determine thickness and process.

The same size small boat (for example 4,4m) you can buy for 1000 GBP and 4000 GBP in Poland directly from the factory. It is very common that this cheaper not survive more than 2 years. Many cracks on the hull and other problems (rust also). This more expensive is epoxy and very carefully made (A4 steel, good wires, rigging). And some people report that it can survive serious accidents on the water.

If you unsure about hull quality why not consider ALU hull. Not sure if you have Highfield dealer near you. It is from China but have WW dealers. I will not tell that it is best boat. Brand exists only 5 years. They make 5000 boats in total during these 5 y. You can buy hypalon version.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This friend of mine checks and supervise all hulls production. He told me that even small bubble can be dangerous. Workers are experienced but he supervise them constantly.
Now he has been started to make carbon fiber boats (small speed boats) and it require even much more detail work.
Old 19 February 2017, 09:30   #40

Quote:
Attachment 118059
Old version boat from same factory pictute attached with estimation for that area i am talking about. Gkving few punches with fist you feel some hollw background and flexible.
Owner of that boat is expert in tube repair and deals few with fiber work. He offered adding 4 layers of fiber.
Interesting you mentioned that for other well reputated boats.

So,do you think i should i stick to original design or do ask for 4 more layers to the whole hull?

I should mention that boat in picture is overpowered now with 115 hp mercury (rated up to 90) after having been 2 years with 60hp 2 st.mercury.owner enjoying hi speed but still no cracks of whatsoever in hull or floor.
that looks a very shallow V, that will be extremely bumpy in anything but a very light chop, are you okay with that?

adding more layers won't hurt anything so ask them to add 4 if that makes you comfortable.

Tags
rib