Old 18 June 2009, 18:22   #1

Town: Isle of Tiree
Boat name: AURORA
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 150s
rib harness

iv been out in my rib in some serious, maybe even stupid conditions lately , great fun doing jumps etc but feel as if i should be strapped to the boat some how . all i have is the foot straps at the min . is there some sort of quick realise harness u can buy out there
Old 18 June 2009, 21:00   #2
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I wouldn't fastening yourself to the RIB. Try improving your toe straps for a more secure feeling first and foremost.

Falling free is probably the best scenario if it all goes Pete Tong.

Yachts float the right way up in most cases and ribs do not. If your fastened to the rib and it remains inverted with you trapped it has the potential to go wrong very fast ..... even with an air pocket.

Chris
Old 18 June 2009, 22:01   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I agree - an auto lifejacket is designed to right you even if your knocked out - how would you get out from under the rib???

I have noticed quite a few of the suspension seats that are being fitted to RIBs now have 5 point harnesses - the same applies!!!
Old 18 June 2009, 22:29   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I agree - an auto lifejacket is designed to right you even if your knocked out - how would you get out from under the rib???

I have noticed quite a few of the suspension seats that are being fitted to RIBs now have 5 point harnesses - the same applies!!!
but its about balancing different risks isn't it?

- risk of ejection from the craft
- risk of musculoskeletal injury in rough water
- risk of head/facial injury from hitting console
- risk of capsize
- risk of being trapped under a capsized boat, unconscious

and the likely consequences... in the OP's part of the world if he is singlehanded then ejection from the boat could be very serious (e.g. even with a PLB it will be a long time to rescue).

Even fractures/bleeding following a console collision in that part of the world would be very serious and would probably be much more likely than capsizing - assuming the boat is well balanced and the skipper suitably experienced.

If we can fire lifejackets automatically presumably we can fire self righting bags. Likewise if liferafts can autorelease presumably so could a 5 point harness.

So I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand - although if its making you scared perhaps its time to throttle back? wingbacks on the seat might offer more security too...

Am I right in thinking that raceboats only "strap in" if they have air on board and rescue boats with divers?
Old 19 June 2009, 05:25   #5

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Exactly...seat belts in cars 'tie' you to the crash signature of the vehicle because that is more forgiving and manageable than doing the windscreen taste test. The same would apply to a boat...the use of damped seats - such as the Ullman type or any other seat for that matter - would be augmented by occupants being connected to the damped movement of the seat. That should assist in the further mitigation of spinal or other injuries. But, just as in a car where (say) fire after a roll-over might suggest a quick exit is required - assuming the roll-over is survived or that the occupant is conscious - there are scenarios where ease of egress is essential from a boat too, as was highlighted above.

From a personal experience viewpoint, ejection from the boat or interaction with the console architecture, has been far more likely than the boat itself capsizing.

You pays your money...
Old 19 June 2009, 07:51   #6

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post

- risk of ejection from the craft
- risk of musculoskeletal injury in rough water
- risk of head/facial injury from hitting console
- risk of capsize
- risk of being trapped under a capsized boat, unconscious

and the likely consequences... in the OP's part of the world if he is singlehanded then ejection from the boat could be very serious (e.g. even with a PLB it will be a long time to rescue).

Even fractures/bleeding following a console collision in that part of the world would be very serious and would probably be much more likely than capsizing - assuming the boat is well balanced and the skipper suitably experienced.

If we can fire lifejackets automatically presumably we can fire self righting bags. Likewise if liferafts can autorelease presumably so could a 5 point harness.

So I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand - although if its making you scared perhaps its time to throttle back? wingbacks on the seat might offer more security too...

Am I right in thinking that raceboats only "strap in" if they have air on board and rescue boats with divers?
Raceboats only have harnesses and air if they have a canopy, and then they are compulsory.

I would suggest IMHO opinion that in the original situation throttling back is the only sensible answer - driving the boat hard enough to be thrown out or hit stuff inside the boat is not really all that sensible. If you are driving a boat hard enough to hurt yourself being strapped in is not the sensible option, I think a bigger boat and or more throttle control are what is needed!

.............. Did I just agree with Codders?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2009, 07:59   #7

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Throttle control seems to be the answer.

I wouldn't want to be strapped or tied to the boat at all. In most cases of capsize the occupants are thrown clear of the boat.

The auto self righting bag sounds like a good idea but if you've gone over once you want the head in the sea which needs a sea anchor.
If you look at the RNLI RIB's they have a sea anchor in the bow with a pull cord on the stern to release it. Once the sea anchor is released you can inflate the righting bad manually and know she'll right with the bow to sea.

On the off chance you did get trapped in the hull you wouldn't want it righting with you under it.
Old 19 June 2009, 13:11   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Ocean Dynamics had one of their big jet ribs capsize a few years ago. The boats weigh a few tons and there is a lot of metal work - you most definitely wouldn't want to be under one.

The passengers all sit on the tubes - they were wearing lifejackets and also canoeing/rafting type helmets. A brilliant idea by the late Shaun White.

The conditions were extremly rough to flip one of those boats and yet there wasn't one bad injury.

Being thrown clear is definitely the best way to go. I wonder how many would have made it if they had been trapped inside.

You have to remember that if a boat flips suddenly you will be very disorientated - that coupled with cold water shock and a gasp of air and you are DEAD!!!

And yes Cookee I believe you did - maybe married life is mellowing you somewhat...............
Old 19 June 2009, 13:21   #9

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
zero/zero ejection seats - the only way to go ................
Old 19 June 2009, 13:30   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Ocean Dynamics had one of their big jet ribs capsize a few years ago. The boats weigh a few tons and there is a lot of metal work - you most definitely wouldn't want to be under one.
I don't want to be under any boat thats upside down. I have been under boats that are light enough for me to lift on shore - but in the water that would be impossible - so I'm not sure I understand what the weight of an upturned boat has to do with it.
Quote:
The passengers all sit on the tubes - they were wearing lifejackets and also canoeing/rafting type helmets. A brilliant idea by the late Shaun White.
but it would generally be agreed that ending up with a boat load of passengers in the water is not a brilliant idea!
Quote:
Being thrown clear is definitely the best way to go. I wonder how many would have made it if they had been trapped inside.
I think you are also comparing dissimilar scenarios: inexperienced passenger v's experience crew who can train for escape if required.
Quote:
You have to remember that if a boat flips suddenly you will be very disorientated - that coupled with cold water shock and a gasp of air and you are DEAD!!!
my point was being thrown out of a boat (whether capsized or not) in the wrong part of the world with the sort of weather where that is likely to happen you are quite likely dead anyway - just a slower death. As I think I alluded to in my earlier post - if you are going hard enough to capsize, or to be thrown overboard - you are probably pushing too hard.
Old 19 June 2009, 13:35   #11
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
It's a subject that keeps crossing my mind. Mainly with kids on board. I only ever stay in rivers and then only in calm weather if I have one of the bin lids with me. But I've still been bounced about by other boats wash and other things. Doesn't take much for a child to loose thier grip.
I only ever go out with another adult on board who sits behind which ever kid is with me. But this can be hard to organise sometimes and plus the boys like time alone with thier dad.

Really I think I'd be ok to strap them in as their really isn't any chance of me being over turned in a river. More a risk of grounding at speed.
Old 19 June 2009, 13:38   #12

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
How many have actually been 'over' in a RIB?
Not many I presume.

I have, twice, once rolled over sideways, and once over backwards.

Both times I was doing stupid things in a small overpowered RIB in conditions that should have demanded more respect in the first place.
I was a prat not to learn the first time, but was too young and stupid to care.

I would not want to have been strapped in on either occasion.
It would be hard enough to get out of even a quick release harness, if conscious, but ducking back under the tubes, whilst disorientated and wearing an inflated life jacket would not be easy.

As mentioned, best soloution would be to be a little more sensible, but if you want to learn the hard way like I did, then please don't starp yourself in.

Nasher