St. Quay-Portrieux Marina in Northern Brittany recently took possession of a new battery powered rib for their marina staff.
They had it on charge overnight next to the fuel berth, next morning one of the operators jumped in it and turned the key which obviously caused a bit of a spark.....
I had not long got up and was stood in the cockpit with a cuppa in my hand. It went off quite literally like a hydrogen bomb
I saw bits of the boat going 60-80ft in the air, how anyone could survive that is beyond me.
The guy is pretty seriously injured but not life threatening I understand. Facial burns, dislocated jaw, fractured tib, fib, ribs and a few other bits. internal organs dislodged somewhat as well I'm told.
Talking to one of the senior attendants, its all over the news in France and there's going to be repercussions for the marina, some of the H&S failings he was telling me about are pretty serious.