Old 28 July 2005, 20:34   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
RIB breaks down.

Right, hypathetical question time.

Who do ya call if you RIB breaks down, you're NOT in danger and you've not got any means of getting ashore apart from paddling?

Andy
Old 28 July 2005, 20:46   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
In the South you can call sea-start and they will help you if you pay them some crazy hourly fee.

Personally I'd radio the CG let them know and hope that they suggest something. In most cases I expect they were request the lifeboat to assisst you if there were no other vessels in the area who could offer a tow.
Old 28 July 2005, 20:51   #3

I'd radio the coast gaurd but to let them know, but would feel guilty as hell if they recovered me.
Old 28 July 2005, 21:36   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Who do you call

I broke down off Bembridge ledge on the Round the Island Race day , did the usual fault finding to no avail anchored and had a think about what to do . In the end I had a chat with CG on 16 advising them of our problem which was a total electrical failure and that we were in no danger and had they any suggestions about getting us going again .I asked them if they could contact our local salvage guy at Hayling to get him to come and tow us back but they advised that he was not able to come as he was commited elsewhere .
They said they would call back in 10 min . They duly called back and told us that someone was on the way to 'sort us out' . The next thing we saw was the Bembridge D class heading towards us ! They towed us to the lifeboat station and got the boat going with a jump start pack and off we went towards home (donation duly made) 2 miles later the engine slowly died away and stopped .Onto 16 again to inform them of our new location and same problem , they came back and said that the D class boys were just getting changed again! and would be with us shortly. D class arrived again and we tried the start pack but it would not even turn the engine over . By this time Hayling Rescue was able to assist and Bembridge D class towed us towards Hayling and we met half way and exchanged tows.
The guys in the D class were great we felt so embarassed about being rescued by the Lifeboat but they just said they loved being out in the boat .
The fault turned out to being an alternator that was initially overcharging then packed up altogether and the start pack was unable to get the Optimax going .
Old 28 July 2005, 21:45   #5

South Brods lifeboat have started turning tow-calls away; they were having soo many. I think if your nice and try to work around the situtaion they will be pretty accomodating. If your all like "i've blown a fuse please send a lifeboat" they might not be quite so freidnly...........

As someone who volenteers on an inshore rescue boat I would agree with the above statement that we enjoy going out and helping people; that's why we do it.....
Old 28 July 2005, 22:12   #6

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
Right, hypathetical question time.

Who do ya call if you RIB breaks down, you're NOT in danger and you've not got any means of getting ashore apart from paddling?

Andy
If you're worried that you might subsequently end up in danger e.g. its getting dark, you will eventually be blown towards a hazard etc then PAN PAN to the coastguard - urgency not distress. The CG will either dispatch rescue services or put out a call for any vessel in the area to assist. (Heard that in the Solent on several occasions.) SEASTART is an option and those I know that are members speak highly of them. If you want that level of protection then the annual fee is probably money well spent.
Old 28 July 2005, 22:23   #7

Not too bothered in a "danger" situation and I wouldn't hesitate calling the RNLI. I was thinking genarally.

I carry my Mobile phone and have a list of local boats people/friends that I could phone if there wasn't any risk and had simply conked out. I was interested in what possibly other folkes would do.

Incidently. If I flagged a passing motor boat down and asked if they would be so good as to take me in tow, do you have to discuss a finacially agreeable sum before hand? Salvage rights and all that.

Andy
Old 28 July 2005, 22:25   #8

I think most boaty people are very friendly people and wouldn't ask for anything but I suppose it always pays to double check just in case you get someone who isnt!
I flagged someone down once and they gave me a short tow and they woulnd't take anything for their trouble...
Old 28 July 2005, 23:35   #9

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
If I flagged a passing motor boat down and asked if they would be so good as to take me in tow, do you have to discuss a finacially agreeable sum before hand? Salvage rights and all that.

As regards salavge rights - ONLY if you have issued a "MAYDAY"- and if then you accept a line from a salvage/rescue boat- they then own your boat
You are not bound to accept a line- but be very careful on WHOM you do accept a tow from- especially after the MAYDAY

jonathan
Old 29 July 2005, 07:10   #10

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Have heard from a couple of sources that commercial fishermen will expect some form of remuneration, which seems reasonable if you're diverting them from their work, be careful and set a fee though, they know what they are entitled too and have asked for substantial sums of money.
Kernow
(Don't worry if you break down off Cornwall, me and the boys will light our fires to guide you safely 'ome )
Old 29 July 2005, 08:10   #11

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
Not too bothered in a "danger" situation and I wouldn't hesitate calling the RNLI. I was thinking genarally.
I think that it would actually be the coastguard you call.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2005, 08:19   #12

Town: Cumbria
"Salvage" only applies if the skipper and crew have "abandoned the vessel with no hope or intent of return". It also doesn't apply to rivers and can be difficult to enforce in estuaries.

As I remember the basic principle is that "just and proper remuneration" be awarded to the vessel offering assistance. This is supposed to cover fuel and crew costs and the costs of getting the salving vessel back to her orginial position prior to assisting you..........

imagine paying for a ocean going oil tanker? (yes it has happened!)
Old 29 July 2005, 09:03   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Whose line - a myth!

It makes no difference whose line is used - yours or theirs.

You don't have to have abandoned the boat either.

If all you require is a tow (you are not in imminent danger) then its best to agree a price before accepting the tow. That is then the price. A "Tow" is very different to "Salvage"

The best way to agree "salvage" if what you require is more than a tow in calm waters is to agree "Lloyds Open Form". The "Salvage" is then carried out on a no win no fee basis. The cost is then decided independently depending upon the work that the salvor carried out, the danger they put themselves to, the danger you were in etc and it should work out fairly.

Regarding calling the Coastguard my experience is that they prefer to be called sooner rather than later so they know what is going on.
I have had to call them due to running out of fuel (not on my boat I hasten to add). I was anchored by the time I called them, just outside of the Southampton Water Channel. Had a friendly chat with them and they told me that they would send Hamble or Cowes Rescue to me. They also asked if I had any money on me - perhaps they were going to send out Seastart? In the meantime I got a tow from a passing angler - told the Coastguard and they were happy with that.
Had to call them when I was first on the scene of a powerboat capsize / barrel roll. 6 persons in the water, one with a head injury. Called them on 16 and told them of what was happening. A passing RIB took the head injury to Cowes and I picked up the rest and also took them to Cowes where an ambulance was waiting.
They sent out Hamble Rescue to tow the upturned boat home.

In neither case did I use a Mayday or Pan Pan. I just spoke with them and told them what we were doing.
If you need immediate assistance then the use of the word Mayday over the radio is probably as much use in getting peoples attention as anything else.

Anyway, Coastguards, helpful chaps.
Old 29 July 2005, 09:18   #14

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
[QUOTE=Searider] It makes no difference whose line is used - yours or theirs.

I understood that if you accept a line thrown by them, then you are into salvage - however, if they accept a line thrown by you, then they were agreeing to 'help' you ?
Old 29 July 2005, 10:25   #15
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc0021
I understood that if you accept a line thrown by them, then you are into salvage - however, if they accept a line thrown by you, then they were agreeing to 'help' you ?
I'm pretty sure that this is an urban (or maritime!) myth.

As far as I understand things it also makes no difference whether or not you broadcast a Mayday message. If someone does claim salvage it doesn't mean that they then "own your boat" as the salvage claim in all but the most extreme cases will be assessed as a proportion of the boat's value.

In most cases any claim for salvage will be dealt with by your insurance company.

It would be good to get a definitive answer from someone with a legal background. Maybe one of the insurance companies would know, as they have a definite interest in this sort of thing!

John
Old 29 July 2005, 10:35   #16

it's not a definitive guide but it's not bad: ashbypowerboatschool.co.uk has a guide and a quick explanation of the rules.

back on the original topic. I'd call the Coastguard (probably by mobile phone so as to try and avoid the embarassment of broadcasting to everyone that I had broken down) and explain the situation. Most times I suspect they will ask a local boat to assist (certainly it's what we used to do, maybe changed nowadays).

Oh, and then I'd head off to the outboard engine mechanic and insert the skeg............................ ;-)
Old 29 July 2005, 12:03   #17

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_deezy
back on the original topic. I'd call the Coastguard (probably by mobile phone so as to try and avoid the embarassment of broadcasting to everyone that I had broken down) and explain the situation.
When I called them about the overurned powerboat I initially called them by phone. They then requested that I call them on the VHF as the communication was more immediate, ie they and any other units could easily get in touch if need be.
Old 29 July 2005, 12:26   #18

Fully agree searider: if it's something like that then you want as many people as possible aware of what's going on. My comment about the mobile phone was only for use when it's a non-urgent call, although even then I know how busy the station can be answering calls on the phone.
Old 29 July 2005, 16:16   #19

Town: STOCKPORT
Boat name: Smurf (blame the wife)
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5.4
Engine: Yamaha 85
light the fires

that will be good kernow
i'm at Hayle in 3 weeks and i'll need something to guide me
only used to the blackpool fleetwood coastline
Old 29 July 2005, 16:19   #20

Boat name: Mingary
Make: Alfred Mylne Bute Slip Dock
Length: 18.6
Engine: diesel inboard
[QUOTE=Tim M] In the South you can call sea-start and they will help you if you pay them some crazy hourly fee.

Joining Sea Start was the best value £165 I have ever spent afloat. A very efficent serice who were with me within 40 minutes of my first call as a non-member. They sorted the problem with my main engine and then my generator all for the price of the parts.